Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Regular Cab Lift

Old 10-22-2011, 05:41 AM   #21
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoandrew View Post
Picked up tacoma after 3 weeks in shop. Bottom line: ITS THE LIFT KIT.. According to Toyota the shorter body of the regular cab creates a larger angle between the differential and drive shaft (2 degrees) and that is the cause of all the roaring/grinding noise that caused them to completely replace the transmission, transfer case, and rear axle. They said they put 500 lbs. in the bed and the noise completely went away therefore proving that a mere 2 degrees is the difference between smooth and quiet and rough and noisy.

Conclusion: Don't install anything on a Regular Cab 2011 Tacoma that will in any way change the angle the driveshaft makes with the rear differential or you will have the noise problems i described above.. They did say just drive it. No harm. Just ignore the noise and vibration, turn up the radio, etc.

Well friends, i ain't too happy about the outcome of this. My plan is to just move on and accept the fact that this is just the way it is. Don't want to remove the kit cause i like the way it looks, drives and rides. Could always put 500 pounds of shingles in the back and haul that load around.
Bought my '06 regular cab 4X4 in January this year with ~18,000 miles, bone stock (former owner = old man). It made the aforementioned 'grind' >50 mph right from the start. I've since put ~9,000 miles on it, and set of 1-piece helper springs, and the grind is exponentially worse now. The slip yoke has very slight play in it, which I'm 99.9% sure is the issue. Ordered a pound of Magnalube-G high temp teflon grease and plan to lube the slip yoke spindles this coming Monday when it arrives. I'll let you guys know if this helps. Hopefully there hasn't been any permanent damage at this point.

BTW, I tried the driveshaft flip, it helped with the noise but there were additional vibrations that didn't like. Flipped it back a week later.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:16 AM   #22
geoandrew is on a distinguished road
Name: George
geoandrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad68 View Post
Or you could flip the driveline, keep the lift and make the noise go away.
what changes just by flipping the drive shaft around? I get what you are saying but not clear why that would make any difference.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:49 AM   #23
The Messiah
90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
90YotaPU's Tacoma Gallery
Uh oh, now you guys are making me nervous. I put an aal on mine and cranked up the 5100's on the front to 2.5. Had it up to 50 mph yesterday but didn't get out on the highway yet. Guess I'll go out there and keep my fingers crossed. I have the 265/75r16's on aftermarket rims. Not sure if I'll upgrade the size. I think when the time comes I'll do some searching to see how much trimming is required. Between the trimming and weighing down the 4 cylinder, I wanna watch the tire size and weight. My aftermarket rims are aluminum and I have the Hankook Dynapro ATM's. I'm very confident my current setup is lighter than the original steel wheels and Dunlops.

BTW, I have a set of four Spidertrax which I'll probably be selling shortly. i Had them on with the steel rims but the new rims have enough offset where I don't need them anymore.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #24
wolfman00 is on a distinguished road
Name: matt
wolfman00's Tacoma Gallery
My truck is at 1.75 up front and 1" block in the rear- at 45-50mph I hear the grinding/blender sound.

OP- those 285s? how does it feel with those, power wise? looks really good
Old 10-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #25
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Give this Build a gander....one of the sickest Single Cabs I've seen hands down

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...b-ome-4x4.html
Old 10-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #26
The Messiah
90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Finished the lift this weekend. AAL on the rear and Bilstein 5100's on the front set at 2.5. 265/75r16's. Hankook Dynapro ATM's.
Attached Thumbnails
Regular Cab Lift-lift-001.jpg  
Old 10-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #27
joebob1319 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
joebob1319's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman00 View Post
My truck is at 1.75 up front and 1" block in the rear- at 45-50mph I hear the grinding/blender sound.

OP- those 285s? how does it feel with those, power wise? looks really good
I can say my 285's are not as heavy feeling as I thought they would be. Obviously you can tell you have bigger/heavier tires than stock, but its not bad. I was concerned about that too before I bought mine. Power wise, they're noticeable but not by much. I have had a lot of lifted vehicles and best advise I can say to those who are considering a lift or bigger wheels and tires is that with any lift kit, the suspension usually always gets stiffer. Also any time you put tires on that are a couple inches bigger than factory, it seems you find the bumps in the road easier.

My truck has made that grinding/blender/vibration noise too but starts around 60mph and goes away about 65mph. My truck did it when it was stock and it only has 28k miles on it. Dealership said it was common in our trucks and not to worry about. I put the lift on and drove it around for about a week and was the exact same. Then put my wheels and tires on and they seem to make it a little bit more noticeable. I've thought about installing some 3 degree axle shims that will rotate the differential into a slightly better angle for drive line to see if it helps any.

Oh and as far as trimming goes to fit 285's with just a 2.5in lift in the front. You have to trim some plastic in front of each tire but I have plenty of room behind the tires after taking front mud flaps off. I didn't need to cut any metal on the cab mounts as some have said they had to. I won't be doing any serious wheeling and did't see it necessary in my case.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #28
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatrd99 View Post
Finished the lift this weekend. AAL on the rear and Bilstein 5100's on the front set at 2.5. 265/75r16's. Hankook Dynapro ATM's.

Your truck kinda looks like mine.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #29
The Messiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad68 View Post
Your truck kinda looks like mine.
lol yea it does. love the wheels.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:06 AM   #30
mroxnard is on a distinguished road
mroxnard's Tacoma Gallery
Hey question for joebob1319

I have the same truck as you and its stock. So heres my deal...

1. On your config do you have an issue with tire rub on the Goodyear Duratracs 285/75/16? Should I go a size smaller?
2. With your Toytec 1.5in AAL in rear do you have problems with the drive shaft noise like discussed above?
3. Just asking because your truck is set up the way I want mine to look. I have already ordered the Bilstein 5100's. All advise is really appreciated!

Thanks for your help man!
Old 01-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #31
GARYRED will become famous soon enough
Name: David
GARYRED's Tacoma Gallery
PEPCATCH11, here's a picture of mine with ome kit with 885springs and a AAL. Tires are 255/85/16
Old 01-31-2012, 07:11 PM   #32
PEPCATCH11 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Fire Equipment Operator
Name: Dan
PEPCATCH11's Tacoma Gallery
GARYRED,

I have the same exact truck, but my tires are 285/75/16's.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:06 AM   #33
GARYRED will become famous soon enough
Name: David
GARYRED's Tacoma Gallery
do have any pictures, i'm curious to see your truck with the 285's
Old 02-19-2012, 06:03 AM   #34
GrEeN WeEnY is on a distinguished road

Army: Military Police, 545th MP Co, 1st Cavalry Division
Name: Aaron
GrEeN WeEnY's Tacoma Gallery
I am thinking of doing this same lift to my pickup, any news on whether or not the 3 degree shims fixed the problem?