Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

New struts and shocks - 5100s

Old 10-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
Wayward is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
Wayward's Tacoma Gallery
Question New struts and shocks - 5100s

Okay so, I need new struts and shocks (almost 110,000 miles).

I have a 2007 Double Cab PreRunner LWB (no TRD) and I occasionally tow 3000 - 5000 lbs.

Based on what I have read here I'd like use the Bilstein 5100s. I have no interest in lift or changing the height from stock.

For the front do I need to replace the springs or can I use the OEM springs with the 5100s?

Sorry for a whole new thread on this, didn't see and existing 5100 thread regarding stock height or a good thread to put this question in. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
If you don't want to lift then 5100s is not what you want. I'm not sure what brands are good that doesn't lift. Well you can set adjustable coilovers to 0 lift but you are looking at some money for those.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
i just took my oem shocks and coils off of my truck if you are interested? i just upgraded to billys and eibachs so i have the parts you need
Old 10-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
creeper has much to be proud ofcreeper has much to be proud ofcreeper has much to be proud ofcreeper has much to be proud ofcreeper has much to be proud ofcreeper has much to be proud ofcreeper has much to be proud ofcreeper has much to be proud ofcreeper has much to be proud of
creeper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
If you don't want to lift then 5100s is not what you want. I'm not sure what brands are good that doesn't lift. Well you can set adjustable coilovers to 0 lift but you are looking at some money for those.
I'm sure you'll have a response to this, because you always do...but I completely disagree. 5100's are an excellent replacement shock at the 0" setting, they are not only good for lifting. In fact they are so popular BECAUSE they perform so well at all settings. If they weren't so good, why would anyone ever buy 5100's for the rear, if there are such better options available?

There are plenty of other options available that are worse/equal/better, but to say that the OP does not want them unless he plans on lifting is silly. Oh and OP, you'll be fine with your stock coils.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm curious as to why you would say that? I had my 5100's on for a while before I finally did lift and thought it helped the ride tremendously! There are cheaper options but I wouldn't throw out 5100's just because I didn't want a lift, they're a great shock!

OP, You can set the 5100's at the 0 or stock setting and reuse your coils.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
If OP has no intentions on lifting his truck, why spend the money on 5100's when you can buy OEM replacement for a lot less?
Old 10-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
If OP has no intentions on lifting his truck, why spend the money on 5100's when you can buy OEM replacement for a lot less?
Because they're still a lot better than the Bilsteins that come on the truck. 5100's aren't just meant for lifting...
Old 10-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
I'm sure you'll have a response to this, because you always do...but I completely disagree. 5100's are an excellent replacement shock at the 0" setting, they are not only good for lifting. In fact they are so popular BECAUSE they perform so well at all settings. If they weren't so good, why would anyone ever buy 5100's for the rear, if there are such better options available?

There are plenty of other options available that are worse/equal/better, but to say that the OP does not want them unless he plans on lifting is silly. Oh and OP, you'll be fine with your stock coils.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I'm curious as to why you would say that? I had my 5100's on for a while before I finally did lift and thought it helped the ride tremendously! There are cheaper options but I wouldn't throw out 5100's just because I didn't want a lift, they're a great shock!

OP, You can set the 5100's at the 0 or stock setting and reuse your coils.
Don't 5100s still lift even when set at the lowest setting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
That too but I thought 5100s lift even when at the lowest setting.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #9

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Don't 5100s still lift even when set at the lowest setting?
No, 5100's at 0 will not provide lift. They are charged and push back more so than stock struts but I would consider that negligible.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
Resident Fishing Expert
Maverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kameron
Maverick904's Tacoma Gallery
From DSM's site

Quote:
The Front Shocks have groves in the body so that you can set them to Stock Height or up to a 2.5" Lift.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #11
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
No, 5100's at 0 will not provide lift.
Damn! I thought I read someone that they did lift even when at the lowest setting.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #12
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That too but I thought 5100s lift even when at the lowest setting.
I don't think they do. Trucks barely look lifted when people set them at .85.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #13

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Damn! I thought I read someone that they did lift even when at the lowest setting.
Don't believe everything you read
Old 10-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #14
Banned
Ah well fuck 5100s.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #15
Wayward is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
Wayward's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all of the replies! And verifying a) no lift b) I can keep my OEM coils.

The cost difference between the OEM replacements and the 5100s is low enough that I am interested in the performance gain. Basically I think it rides like a pillow when hauling a load over a long distance.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #16
Banned
Quote:
Lol. I got neutral rep for saying don't use 5100s even though I admitted I was wrong. Hahahaha.

New struts and shocks -... 10-06-2011 06:19 PM -

No name and no comment. Must have been a tard.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #17
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Lol. I got neutral rep for saying don't use 5100s even though I admitted I was wrong. Hahahaha.

New struts and shocks -... 10-06-2011 06:19 PM -

No name and no comment. Must have been a tard.
That's.......messed up
Old 10-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #18
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez View Post
That's.......messed up
Were you the tard?
Old 10-06-2011, 07:44 PM   #19
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Were you the tard?
Lol if it where me I'd call you wuey....n I'd leave my name duh.

Either way I got no reason to neutral u....Now ruler is another story
Old 10-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #20
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez View Post
Lol if it where me I'd call you wuey....n I'd leave my name duh.

Either way I got no reason to neutral u....Now ruler is another story
Cuz I called him an alky.