Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

top strut mount

Old 10-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
tacomazach has a spectacular aura abouttacomazach has a spectacular aura about

Name: Zach
tacomazach's Tacoma Gallery
top strut mount

I'm about to replace my coils and shocks. would it be easier to order a new top strut mount, or should I just use the factory strut mount? Would rockauto's monroe strut mount be ok to use? http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1129714
Old 10-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I reused it

disregard the pic

Old 02-22-2013, 01:43 AM   #3
VazBro is on a distinguished road

VazBro's Tacoma Gallery
Hi,
I am a new member and I am about to do the same. I have ordered the OME supesnion kit and I don't want to deal with the spring compressor. Can I use the Monroe strut mount in the link above or this one? (click on the link).
Also, what is the Toyota OEM strut mount part number? I have a 2013 Tacoma DC 4x4.

Thanks in advance

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...Fel7QgodH0sAuw
Old 09-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
dcmichell is on a distinguished road
Army: Retired Medic
Name: Doug
dcmichell's Tacoma Gallery
Failed Strut

New here to the forum; I don't want to hijack a thread, but also don't want to start a new one on the subject of "strut mount".

So I had OEM struts and bearing plates/mounts installed in my 2002 4x4 Xtra Cab two weeks ago. Day before yesterday hit a small pothole going through a residential area at about 20mph and you can see the result in the pic.

Does anyone know if this would be due to a faulty strut or a faulty bearing plate/mount?
Attached Thumbnails
top strut mount-photo.jpg  
Old 09-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmichell View Post
New here to the forum; I don't want to hijack a thread, but also don't want to start a new one on the subject of "strut mount".

So I had OEM struts and bearing plates/mounts installed in my 2002 4x4 Xtra Cab two weeks ago. Day before yesterday hit a small pothole going through a residential area at about 20mph and you can see the result in the pic.

Does anyone know if this would be due to a faulty strut or a faulty bearing plate/mount?
Holy crap man!
Need more pics so we can see whats going on.

For one, those don't look like factory bushings and two it sure seems like theres a lot of thread up top (possibly the strut was over torqued). The reason I mention the bushings is because if they are poly they don't compress as easy as the rubber ones and with that much thread that bolt had to be torqued on pretty darn tight.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomazach View Post
I'm about to replace my coils and shocks. would it be easier to order a new top strut mount, or should I just use the factory strut mount? Would rockauto's monroe strut mount be ok to use? http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1129714
The bushings will be shot, I'd just get all new assemblies with washers and bushings if I were you. They are not that much at all

Aside from monroe, KYB probably carries them. Perhaps even moog. The Monroes are good though and I actaully like the quality of their studs over KYB.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
dcmichell is on a distinguished road
Army: Retired Medic
Name: Doug
dcmichell's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the process of moving and am currently living 850 miles from all my tools; I have a local shop repairing it. I've asked them to make sure they don't toss any of the parts they pull off, so I'll get some pics of the failed parts to see if that sheds any more light.

I'm just salty 'cause they were just installed two weeks ago and are warrantied for one year - the only problem is that I'm four hours away from the nearest authorized shop to service under warranty!

My hope is that when I take the parts and pics in to the shop that did the work, the guy will treat me fair and at least refund the cost of the parts.

Thanks for the insight, I'll compare the amount of exposed threads to the one on the other side for sure!