Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Bilstein 5100/5125/5165 Split Digressive Valving?

Old 10-08-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein 5100/5125/5165 Split Digressive Valving?

Found this about 5100's being a digressive shock!
"The shocks feature vehicle specific split digressive valving…..”

https://www.allprooffroad.com/05tacomafrontsuspension/144

What's the split digressive mean? (compression/rebound?)

The 5125s just say they have deflective self adjusting valving……can anyone elaborate? That would be different than the 5100’s? I can feel a difference now that I have them on. The rear end feels a little less stable (the shock compresses easier) but my rear springs have softened up to some degree!

https://www.allprooffroad.com/tech-info-mainmenu-63/shocksandcoilovers/bilsteinshocks

Also, anyone running the 5165’s? These things look mean and have the stem top already. Wonder what the measurements are on the 10” travel ones and if they would work well with the 3” AllPro leafs I’ve got my eyes on!
Old 10-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone? What do u guys think?
Old 11-07-2011, 10:58 PM   #4
Tearmytaco
rzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
rzimm001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Found this about 5100's being a digressive shock!
"The shocks feature vehicle specific split digressive valving…..”

https://www.allprooffroad.com/05tacomafrontsuspension/144

What's the split digressive mean? (compression/rebound?)

The 5125s just say they have deflective self adjusting valving……can anyone elaborate? That would be different than the 5100’s? I can feel a difference now that I have them on. The rear end feels a little less stable (the shock compresses easier) but my rear springs have softened up to some degree!

https://www.allprooffroad.com/tech-info-mainmenu-63/shocksandcoilovers/bilsteinshocks

Also, anyone running the 5165’s? These things look mean and have the stem top already. Wonder what the measurements are on the 10” travel ones and if they would work well with the 3” AllPro leafs I’ve got my eyes on!
Split digressive valving is a fancy way of saying that a digressive piston is being used and the valving is not 50/50 but actually split (usually more rebound resistance than compression). In a digressive piston design, the shocks dampening capabilities are felt more rapidly because the piston is concaved and the shims are slightly bent (preloaded) into the dish shape of the piston. The benefit to this over using just heavier grade shims is that the dampening response is felt much quicker but the max yield doesn't really change. So it's sort of a way to get more performance out of the same shock without using thicker valving shims.

Self adjusting deflective valving is pretty much standard issue in any decently made after market shock (sway-away, fox, etc.) Not really special unless your compairing it to bone stock car shocks. It's essentially like the digressive shock described above (uses a piston with multiple shims stacked in a pyramid on both sides for dampening) only the piston is NOT digressive (concaved). This is known as linear valving. Some companies tend to use digressive valving while others use linear. Typically the digressive valving will have a firmer feel to it and is considered more advanced. Both designs have their purpose so pick your poison. Icon shocks are digressive which is why many people talk about Icons having a firmer ride than some other brands.

Hope this helps...
Old 11-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #5

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks man, good info! I realize the 5100's and 5125's all have the same valving!
Old 11-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA, SAF
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzimm001 View Post
Split digressive valving is a fancy way of saying that a digressive piston is being used and the valving is not 50/50 but actually split (usually more rebound resistance than compression). In a digressive piston design, the shocks dampening capabilities are felt more rapidly because the piston is concaved and the shims are slightly bent (preloaded) into the dish shape of the piston. The benefit to this over using just heavier grade shims is that the dampening response is felt much quicker but the max yield doesn't really change. So it's sort of a way to get more performance out of the same shock without using thicker valving shims.

Self adjusting deflective valving is pretty much standard issue in any decently made after market shock (sway-away, fox, etc.) Not really special unless your compairing it to bone stock car shocks. It's essentially like the digressive shock described above (uses a piston with multiple shims stacked in a pyramid on both sides for dampening) only the piston is NOT digressive (concaved). Some companies tend to use digressive valving while others use linear. Typically the digressive valving will have a firmer feel to it and is considered more advanced. Both designs have their purpose so pick your poison. Icon shocks are digressive which is why many people talk about Icons having a firmer ride than some other brands.

Hope this helps...
Thank you!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
Tearmytaco
rzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quite welcome

Bilstein must have a great marketing crew working for them. Their verbiage could sell water to a fish haha. However, I remain firmly convinced that when it comes to quality and reputation, there is none better than bilstein. Even their inexpensive shocks seem to outlast all others under hard conditions. I can't wait to see the day that Toyota comes up with an answer to the Ford Raptor. Some bilstein 2.5" coilovers that come factory would be the cat's meow. I'd be the first to buy
Old 11-11-2011, 01:32 AM   #9

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Hell ya......maybe a 2" over similar to AllPro and a SUA pulling 12" front and rear! Still keeping it looking stock, but able to out perform the raptor! Damn, this forum alone should give them ideas of what "should" be done to the tacoma!

PS - 4.10 gears in all models too! Lol
Old 11-11-2011, 09:23 AM   #10
Tearmytaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Hell ya......maybe a 2" over similar to AllPro and a SUA pulling 12" front and rear! Still keeping it looking stock, but able to out perform the raptor! Damn, this forum alone should give them ideas of what "should" be done to the tacoma!

PS - 4.10 gears in all models too! Lol

Mmmmm

Hey! don't tease me like that

The 4.10 gears would just be icing on the cake. Man Toyota needs to quit screwing around with that Baja edition and just go all out.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #11

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, just noticed your sig says you have a DMZ bedcage and 14" smoothbody's with an aal? Did you relocte your shock mounts? I want more info....and pics lol!
Old 06-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #13
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
What are the rear 5100 and 5150's valved at for the 2nd gen tacoma for compresion and rebound? I'm really liking the 5165's and doing alot of research on them