1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSB Question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Jake9, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Oct 10, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    Jake9

Jake9 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I've got a 11 dbl cab trd sport. Just called the dealership and played dumb. Told him that it was sagging and that it rode terrible with a load on it. He said that he wasn't sure if they had a TSB for the 11 models. I've got to take it in tomorrow for them to look at it. Just wondering if anybody has had the TSB done on the 11 models? Also if anybody had a valid TSB # that applied to the 11 models? Thx for the help.

2. Oct 10, 2011 at 10:46 AM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
  3. Oct 10, 2011 at 11:51 AM
    AllMountainToy

AllMountainToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab 4X4 TRDOR
    2 3/4 OME Suspension Lift with 885, with trim packer, 1/4" top plate spacer, swaybar relo bracket. Dakar leaf pack with 3rd leaf removed. 285/70/17" BFG AT. XD Wheels with 4.5 BS, Best Top Soft Top, Undercover winch mount with Warn 8k winch (with synthetic line), Pioneer touchscreen double din head unit. 4X innovations welded sliders. roof mounted DVD system.ATO dual battery tray with dual yellow tops. Rugged ridge isolator kit.
    I literally dropped off my 2 month old 2011 DC TRD OR to my dealer this morning for this TSB. I had a copy of the TSB but they also found it while they were inspecting the truck. They came back out and said.."if you want the new springs, we have them in stock". It is now having them changed out.

I towed my 4500lb wakeboard boat for the first time this weekend. It drove ok but once all the weight was on the truck the back sagged really really badly. I was almost not going to do it because I wanted a softer ride but figured I better for the times I do tow the boat or have truck loaded with camping gear when I go wheelin.

Bottom line...yes the 2011 is covered by the TSB. Sorry for the long answer.

4. Oct 10, 2011 at 11:55 AM
    Jake9

Jake9 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Thx for help guys.......I'll take a copy of the TSB with me tomorrow.

5. Oct 10, 2011 at 1:13 PM
    AllMountainToy

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2 3/4 OME Suspension Lift with 885, with trim packer, 1/4" top plate spacer, swaybar relo bracket. Dakar leaf pack with 3rd leaf removed. 285/70/17" BFG AT. XD Wheels with 4.5 BS, Best Top Soft Top, Undercover winch mount with Warn 8k winch (with synthetic line), Pioneer touchscreen double din head unit. 4X innovations welded sliders. roof mounted DVD system.ATO dual battery tray with dual yellow tops. Rugged ridge isolator kit.
    anyone know what it means when the dealership calls you and asks.."who put on your tires and wheels?" and you reply..."you did". and then they reply..."your suspension is out of alignment".

Now I am very familiar with what you steering is out of alignment but I am not sure what "your suspension is out of alignment". Is that cast, camber, tow, etc?

They found this when they were replacing my rear leaf pack under the TSB

6. Oct 10, 2011 at 1:48 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    When you get an alignment-It's the suspension they are working with. It changes the steering properties of the truck- but they are making adjustments to suspension parts (and maybe the steering wheel too..)

7. Oct 10, 2011 at 3:16 PM
    AllMountainToy

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    thanks Brunes.

On my way to pick it up from the dealer after the TSB

8. Oct 10, 2011 at 4:19 PM
    AllMountainToy

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    Just drove the truck home on the new 4 leaf pack. I am very very happy with it. After the pro-comp spacer the dealer put on it,the truck had almost a stadium truck stance with a backward rake. The TSB truly leveled it and the ride is great. Not too stiff.

9. Oct 11, 2011 at 9:04 AM
    Jake9

Jake9 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Took a copy of the TSB with me to the dealer this morning. Everythings good.....goin in tomorrow to have the work done.......thx for the help.

10. Oct 11, 2011 at 9:15 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Make sure to check the parts they install. I got mine done "next day" and then they had to order the REAL TSB springs and do it again...4 leaf pack-Check the part numbers before you leave and make sure they did it right.

11. Oct 22, 2011 at 6:47 AM
    Jake9

Jake9 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Finally got the work done last Monday. Loved the way the truck was set up with the 5100's set at 1.75" in the front and the TSB in the rear. That was until I drove it down to Oak Island this week. Had the bed loaded with bags and fishing gear. Nothing heavy or out of the ordinary. The ride with the bed loaded felt horrible. Truck would bottom out everytime I crossed a bridge on the interstate or made a transition on pavment at decent speeds. Not really sure whats goin on with it but I'm taking it back in Monday morning to have them look at it. I checked the leaf springs before I drove it off and they looked to be the right ones. Anybody got any ideas?

12. Oct 22, 2011 at 9:41 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Is that the first time you had a heavy load in the bed? Or is it the first time it bottomed-out with a load?

My dilema is that I know very well was a bad rear leaf spring set is like. My 2005 DC would bottom-out with any load and even with back seat passengers. The dealer wouldn't help, and I didn't know about the TSB, so I paid to have an Off Road shop add Ride Rite air bags and 5100s to the back... problem solved ($500).

My 2010 DC does not bottom-out under the same conditions, so why risk changing something that works...? I only wonder why some DCs got better 3 pak springs than others?

13. Oct 22, 2011 at 9:55 AM
    Jake9

Jake9 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport
    That was the first load I had hauled.......3 days after the work was done.

14. Oct 22, 2011 at 9:58 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags

Then how did you know you had a 'Harsh Ride'/ bottoming out? The dealer isn't supposed to do the TSB unless you actually have a problem. As I said above, not all Tacomas have bad springs... I hope it ends up working out for you!:eek:

15. Oct 22, 2011 at 4:19 PM
    Jake9

Jake9 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport
    It's worse now than it was before I took it to have the TSB done. It was the first load since the TSB.....I took it to have the work done because I had a harsh ride with the factory set. I didn't just wake up one morning and decide that it would be a good idea to have the TSB done. I had a reason for doing it.

16. Oct 22, 2011 at 5:47 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Oh, ok... because that's why I asked... it sounded like your first heavy load was after the TSB job. I just don't want every new Taco owner to assume his springs are bad unless he has tried them with 500#s + in the back and driven over some bumps or pot holes... Obviously if it is 'harsh with even less than 500 lbs. that would be a reason, too!

Products Discussed in

To Top