Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rear Suspension Sag

Old 10-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
hey...I can change this!
kbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kbp68's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Suspension Sag

My 06 DC/OR has Procomp 3" level kit and AAL's with OEM shocks (Bilsteins) and leaf springs. I got a good deal on four "next to new" Bilsteins to replace my worn out ones, but can't decide what to do about my worn out rear springs. 80% of the time I commute about 60miles/day to and from work (empty), but I do haul a 20' camper trailer and a 12' stock trailer about a dozen times a year. Without the equilizer hitch the truck would be on the bumpstops constantly and I have already replaced a broken leaf so I'm pretty sure the spring packs are shot also. Is my money better spent on OEM springs(next to new take offs) and air bags or an aftermarket spring pack (Deavers?Alcan?Dakars?)
Old 10-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer
OME = Old Man Emu Suspension

I agree with getting a new leaf pack.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'd look into something like an Old Man Emu leaf pack (Dakars) and All Pro's Expedition packs seem have a good reputation also. Alcan can make you a set of leaf springs to whatever specification you wish.

A slightly used OEM leaf pack and air bags would do the trick also but you'd have to adjust the pressure for towing vs. daily driving where as the leaf packs would be install and forget and still handle a loaded trailer.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
hey...I can change this!
kbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kbp68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer
OME = Old Man Emu Suspension

I agree with getting a new leaf pack.
My bad
Old 10-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbp68 View Post
My bad
No worries. Just trying to make it for others to help.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
hey...I can change this!

kbp68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I'd look into something like an Old Man Emu leaf pack (Dakars) and All Pro's Expedition packs seem have a good reputation also. Alcan can make you a set of leaf springs to whatever specification you wish.

A slightly used OEM leaf pack and air bags would do the trick also but you'd have to adjust the pressure for towing vs. daily driving where as the leaf packs would be install and forget and still handle a loaded trailer.
The ride quality would be the same? My assumption was that aftermarket springs would be a harsher ride and that air bags would give you the best of both worlds - No?
Old 10-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The ride quality would be the same? My assumption was that aftermarket springs would be a harsher ride and that air bags would give you the best of both worlds - No?
People with Dakars seem to really like the ride both loaded and unloaded. I can't say personally, I'm running a TSB leaf pack with an Icon AAL and it's perfect for me! I'm sure OZ or PSUTaco will chime in with their thoughts.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
Valley Viking is on a distinguished road

Valley Viking's Tacoma Gallery
Putting Dakar's on my truck improved the ride and load hauling capacity. I don't think you can go wrong with the OME setup.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #10
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The Daks do ride stiffer than the Toyota 4 leaf pack but they aren't a buckboard wagon by any means .

My Leer cap seemed to be just enough weight to " engage " them and the ride is less rigid .

For me the increased load ability made them a no-brainer , I can't comment on air bags as I have had no experience with them .
Old 10-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #11
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I just remembered TW member Cogge89 had airbags and replaced them with Dakars , a pm to him might help you out .
Old 10-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #12
berg2065 is on a distinguished road
berg2065's Tacoma Gallery
I have the ride rites, but the catch is that the bottom bracket for the bags is designed for the non-tsb leaf pack. As soon as you go with an aal and/or 3* shim, the bottom bracket does not touch the axle housing and you have to fabricate an extension. I still like them...allows easy customization to however much weight I am carrying.