Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Turning the "Coil Seat" Upside Down

Old 10-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
bohunter1990 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief
bohunter1990's Tacoma Gallery
Turning the "Coil Seat" Upside Down

Heres an odd question, If I turn the front coil seat upsidedown on a Billy 5100 would I get an extra inch out of them? Coil seat meaning the black bottom portion that the coil rests on.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
i could be thinking of this wrong, but it seems like the spring would then have some issues with sitting properly. But thats just my opinion, i dont think i would try it that way.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Tech31 View Post
i could be thinking of this wrong, but it seems like the spring would then have some issues with sitting properly. But thats just my opinion, i dont think i would try it that way.
I agree. I would never mess with something that holds up the entire front end of my truck. Could end badly. the shock companies spend tons of money designing these things. Use only as directed.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
I didn't try it but when I was installing them I slid it on that way and it looked like it would work if i compressed the coil more. just a thought thats all.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunter1990 View Post
I didn't try it but when I was installing them I slid it on that way and it looked like it would work if i compressed the coil more. just a thought thats all.
No problem. If you don't ask you won't know.

Just glad this wasn't one of those threads that's starts "look I got 5inches of lift by welding pipe ends onto my shock!".
Old 10-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Tech31 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonTacoma View Post
No problem. If you don't ask you won't know.

Just glad this wasn't one of those threads that's starts "look I got 5inches of lift by welding pipe ends onto my shock!".
No I'm not "That Guy" !!!
Old 10-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #7

Quote:
No I'm not "That Guy" !!!
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...-cheapest.html

In case you missed this gem. I think it's like post 133 or something for pictures.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
The correct position of the coil seat wraps the snap ring and holds it in the grove of the shock body. If you flip it upside down, there's nothing left to hold the snap ring in that tiny little grove. If you were to do it, first speedbump and you're fucked.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
The correct position of the coil seat wraps the snap ring and holds it in the grove of the shock body. If you flip it upside down, there's nothing left to hold the snap ring in that tiny little grove. If you were to do it, first speedbump and you're fucked.
It "might" go longer than that. PackerfanXD's did.....then when I went to inspect them, one let go, and I ended up in the ER with a cracked wrist, and broken thumb.

OP, DO NOT install the seat upside down.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
Damn, The pics have been removed, I would have loved to see that!!
Old 10-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #13
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
It "might" go longer than that. PackerfanXD's did.....then when I went to inspect them, one let go, and I ended up in the ER with a cracked wrist, and broken thumb.

OP, DO NOT install the seat upside down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
goddam that was dumb to even put your hand anywhere near it....
Fixed it for you.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #14
Please dont relate me to "That Guy"!!!
Old 10-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #15
Quote: