Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Lift install problems

Old 10-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
A country boy can survive
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
pyroskier's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Lift install problems

Alright, So yesterday me and a couple buddies installed my lift. Well, we hit some roadblocks. We got the entire front end installed, and we got to the easiest part: putting on my new wheels/tires. Well, my wheel studs aren't long enough for my wheels. I can only get about .5" of lug nut thread on the studs. Even though there's been a ton of people with the same setup (Jlee, sander1036), no one ever mentioned this. So my buddies are going to help me tomorrow put in longer wheel studs (any suggestions?).

So then we just put on my stock wheels and move on to the rear. We get the shocks installed and my Expo leafs, and we try to put my Ubolts on. Well, I was told by multiple people that my old ubolts would be fine. Well, they aren't long enough. WITHOUT the washers, I barely get a whole nut on the U-bolts. So I have to wait for Fastenal to open to get new ones. So, that's where I am now. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments if this happened to them as well?

Any help would be great. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Update/Bump:

I just went out and tried the rear wheels. They fit fine! I got like 35 turns on the lug nuts. Phew! And I re-tried the front wheels, and I got ~12 turns on the lugs. Is that enough? I think I might still change out the front studs, because they are WAY easier to change than the rears. I just need to pick up a 35mm socket and the lugs, right? Basic tools can be used to change them out in the front, correct?
Old 10-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroskier View Post
Update/Bump:

I just went out and tried the rear wheels. They fit fine! I got like 35 turns on the lug nuts. Phew! And I re-tried the front wheels, and I got ~12 turns on the lugs. Is that enough? I think I might still change out the front studs, because they are WAY easier to change than the rears. I just need to pick up a 35mm socket and the lugs, right? Basic tools can be used to change them out in the front, correct?
35MM......
TAKE IT EASY THERE GUY....
i think 12 turns should be plenty.....
but if u dont belive that or want to change the studs...just pop them out and reinstall.....
if u have an open ended lug nut and an impact you will be fine in minutes
freezing the new lugz also helps....
Old 10-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
35MM......
TAKE IT EASY THERE GUY....
i think 12 turns should be plenty.....
but if u dont belive that or want to change the studs...just pop them out and reinstall.....
if u have an open ended lug nut and an impact you will be fine in minutes
freezing the new lugz also helps....
I'm alright... just was super nervous with all of this! I think I trust the 12 turns, but I would feel better with more. I seem to have really bad luck with things. I have some buddies helping me who go to WyoTech, and they practically installed my whole lift for me in about 1.5 hours. They said, and I know, that the front is way easier than the back, so I think we will just do the front. It'll make me feel better about the $2,700 I spent on this as a poor college kid. Any brand/size recommendations for the longer wheel studs?
Old 10-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
no never used them but you can get ext. lug nutz as well
Old 10-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #6

I'm not sure its the lugs that are the problem. They thread in as much they can.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #7

Update:

Doing front wheel studs, brake line, and U-bolts (If I can find some, no one in this damn town carries them) today. Wish me luck.