Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Install instructions for new leaf springs?

Old 10-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
CurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Curtis
CurboCycles's Tacoma Gallery
Install instructions for new leaf springs?

Just bought some allpro 3" leaf springs. Is there a "how to" on installing new leaf springs? I saw the thread on the aal but none for a full leaf pack and new shocks.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Don't make multiple threads on the same subject, bump your old thread back to the top

Don't you just jack it up, take off the shocks/springs, then replace with the springs/shocks (in that order)
Old 10-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Basically follow the aal instructions but just remove the springs as well. They didn't come with instructions? Maybe PM allpro and see what they got!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:05 AM   #4
CurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
Don't make multiple threads on the same subject, bump your old thread back to the top

I posted once in the AllPro thread section to see if i could get their attention.

Don't you just jack it up, take off the shocks/springs, then replace with the springs/shocks (in that order)
It seems that simple in my mind, but i wanted to hear from those that have done it before cuz rarely are things as simple as we hope/anticipate!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:43 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ines-pics.html

Air tools and an extra set of hands make the job much, much easier in my opinion! I used this thread as a guide for mine.

A couple tips, unbolt the brake line from the axle so it doesn't get overextended, bolt the front of the leaf pack in place first then the back since the back is a flexible connection, multiple jacks makes it easier (I used one on each side of the axle and good jack stands on the frame).
Old 10-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
There are some pix and instructions in the OME link in my sig.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #7
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
There are some pix and instructions in the OME link in my sig.
Your sig is blank...

I linked your install thread above also. I found it helpful when I did my install and figured I'd pass it along
Old 10-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Your sig is blank...
Hmm that's interesting. How about now?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
And now??
Old 10-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #10
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like it doesn't post a sig when I'm using tapatalk on the iPhone, which is most of the time. I'll have to be aware of that.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I linked your install thread above also. I found it helpful when I did my install and figured I'd pass it along
Thanks for the props.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #12

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hmm that's interesting. How about now?
That one had your sig with all the links

Quote:
And now??
This one doesn't have a sig
Old 10-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #13

Thanks guys. The truck goes on the lift tomorrow. I'm going with stock brake lines so we'll see how that plays out.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #14

Got the springs and shocks on...took about 4 hours. Instead of swapping out brake lines, I created a spacer (or large 1" washer) that lifts the brake line holder an inch higher off the axle. This gives me enough brake line stretch at full extension. Also, I welded the old bumpstops onto my new flip U-bolt plates.

I was nervous about making a $650 investment into the rear suspension of my truck. I did NOT want just a 3" lift out of it for the money. I'm happy to say that the rear suspension is 10x better than it was stock. I have a few large dips near my home that usually my truck bottoms out at 20-25 mph. I can hit it at 40 mph and its no big deal!!! HUGE improvement! If only i could get the left side of the rear to match the right side....right now the right side is 1.25" HIGHER! Hopefully it settles in.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:23 AM   #15

And for anybody in the future looking to do the same, here is the install process I used:

Removal
Tires, emergency brake, brake lines off axle, shocks, ubolts, springs. Install one spring at a time.

Reverse process for install.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:24 AM   #16
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Did you get the standard duty springs? What shocks are you running?
Old 10-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #17

Yes, standard All-Pro 3" springs. I don't haul or tow much other than a quad and I wanted 3" of lift, not 4" so I chose standard over expo pack. I'm running the 5100s in the rear, 2.5" Icons up front.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #18
jr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
jr114's Tacoma Gallery
OP do you mind posting what your #'s are from the hub to the center of the rear fender? Im looking to swap out my procomp aal for a leaf pack and trying to maintain the same amount of lift.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:35 PM   #19
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr114 View Post
OP do you mind posting what your #'s are from the hub to the center of the rear fender? Im looking to swap out my procomp aal for a leaf pack and trying to maintain the same amount of lift.
You could also check out the Dakars. That's what I got.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...surements.html
Average returns from posters in this thread ( updated to post #52 )
DCLB-24 3/8" (3)
DCSB-24 3/8" (6)
AC- 25" (4)
RC- 25.5" (1)
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...pro-dakar.html
Old 10-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #20

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, we're going to have to wheel sometime! That's the set up I want to go with but I'm running 9.24" 5125's in the rear. Wasn't sure how much rake with the Icon's up front? Can you post pics? I've got next weekend off if you want to hit Sycamore or Butcher Jones to shake everything down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurboCycles View Post
Yes, standard All-Pro 3" springs. I don't haul or tow much other than a quad and I wanted 3" of lift, not 4" so I chose standard over expo pack. I'm running the 5100s in the rear, 2.5" Icons up front.