1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New LT Suspension...doing it RIGHT...thoughts?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by MyNameIsLego, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Oct 24, 2011 at 1:13 PM
    MyNameIsLego

MyNameIsLego [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    11' TX Pro
    TRD Catback exhaust, Westin Sportsman brush guard (black), Big Country tube steps (black), TRD Quick Shifter, ICON Stage 4 Lift (3")
    Hey All,
    So I've been neglecting this forum for a few months now cause I've been abroad but recently returned and just upgraded to the TRD Supercharger. LOVE IT! Next step was the sound system but I'm over it and will do that later...I want to upgrade my suspension THE RIGHT WAY as well as replace my tires/wheels. I've read for hours on the forums here and some of the stickies are incredible...not to mention the drool-worthy builds. Below are my goals and then what I think I want and a few questions...however I know there are some veterans in this game who could definitely set me up right. All my thanks in advance! And if I missed a post that can answer these, by all means yell at me and send me a link.

GOALS:
    - Lift my ride safely and correctly w/o compromise (aka no spacer shananigans!)
    - Not really on a budget....but will sh*t a brick if you think I'm spending $10g on an upgrade like this
    - 3"-6"...I've seen Tacos that look great on both...I don't want a monster truck but I want something that can rock 33's and hold it's own anywhere from a day's worth of mudding to amateur competitions. Probably more towards the 3".
    - Possibly do it myself (w/ a friend) but not above going to an auto-shop
    - No jerry-rigging, if something breaks it's cause of part failure not install failure
    - Have a full and complete suspension upgrade...not piece mealing parts of it or waiting for money down the road...I want it all done at one (or over a week, whatever)...but not dragging out as some project over months

THOUGHTS:
    - I think LT is the best way to go so new coilovers, leaf packs in the rear and probably an upgrade to a 285/70R17...though folks said to rock the 16's from experience. (Cost)
    - I am really digging the ICONs & total chaos, but sometimes it seems like brand names are all about fanboys shouting out...if you can justify something better PLEASE inform me

QUESTIONS:
    - Is 3" of lift enough?...leaning towards a blend of performance and aesthetics...but some trucks look freakin' dumb with these huge lifts and personally I've seen more 3" lifts on here that look legit versus 6" lifts
    - What all will I need? I know most coilover kits come with all the necessities but are there hidden parts/items I should be wary of?

Allright, well I have a nagging feeling that some people are rolling there eyes about these questions...but we all started here at one time and I am trying my best to get up to speed on everything this forum covered on the subject. Thanks again.

~ Lego

2. Oct 24, 2011 at 1:14 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    3" is enough, coilovers and a new leaf pack is the best way to go.

a lift and LT are not the same thing, LT requires an entire suspension overhaul, not to mention glass, engine mount upgrades, yada yada yada

3. Oct 24, 2011 at 1:15 PM
    davestaco

davestaco TW's number one gear whore

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Schofield Barracks
    Vehicle:
    00' tacoma xtra cab trd v6 4x4
    LT is gonna be pricy no matter how you do it. mid travel would be the budget way to do what you want to do.

4. Oct 24, 2011 at 1:19 PM
    BMOC

BMOC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paden
    Phoenix, AZ
    i think mid travel may be what you're aiming for here.

5. Oct 24, 2011 at 1:23 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    If you think spending 10k on suspension is crazy, lt is not the way for you. Long travel for the front to do it correctly your looking at at least 5 grand. And for the rear your looking at 5 grand plus all the fab work. You need new leaf speing hangars and a bed cage.. For long travel a lot of people spend 20k plus.

Mid travel is the way for you.

6. Oct 24, 2011 at 1:23 PM
    MyNameIsLego

MyNameIsLego [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    11' TX Pro
    TRD Catback exhaust, Westin Sportsman brush guard (black), Big Country tube steps (black), TRD Quick Shifter, ICON Stage 4 Lift (3")
    Ahhh, that makes more sense now. Thanks for the clarification on the LT there Konaborne!

7. Oct 24, 2011 at 2:07 PM
    davestaco

davestaco TW's number one gear whore

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Schofield Barracks
    Vehicle:
    00' tacoma xtra cab trd v6 4x4
    your prolly gonna want a set of deaver leafs and some icons or king coil overs.....

8. Oct 24, 2011 at 2:10 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    the best 3" setup you can get is

a set of coilovers (Icon, Fox, King, SAW)

with a set of new UCA's
    (DSM, Camburg, Total Chaos, Light Racing)

a new leaf pack
    (Deavers, OME, All Pro)

with longer rear resi shocks
    (Icon, Bilstein 5150, Fox, King)

no problem op. Living in hawaii...I didnt even know LT existed before coming on here, let alone wtf it was

9. Oct 24, 2011 at 2:16 PM
    FixedTRD

FixedTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Alhambra, CA
    All pro LT, All pro front bumper,All pro rear fox, 1.5 full leaf and u bolt flip kit. KR sliders, bestop, high lift with custom mount, katskin leather, Hankook MT and atx artillery. DMZ SUA w/FOX triple bypass
    Depending on what you are planning to do with your truck. If you want to drive fast in the desert than LT would be good but remember it will cost 10k+ and you will need some extra money on the side just in case you brake something. If your not going to do anything crazy then Mid travel would be best. Get yourself some good shock for the front and rear with new leaf pack and call it a day.

10. Oct 24, 2011 at 2:23 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    All pro front lt with a solid leaf pack 2.5 resi will be good for more of an all around bad ass rig

11. Oct 24, 2011 at 2:26 PM
    MyNameIsLego

MyNameIsLego [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    11' TX Pro
    Nice, that's definitely what I've been looking at. Now, I've been eyeballing the ICONs and folks love them...but are the other high end COs comparable? The only complaint I have heard about the ICONs is "feeling every pebble on the road" so on one hand it's really responsive (+) but on the other I don't want it to make my ride hella bumpy (-) so I am prone to not want to use it on long drives. I guess my question is...how much does your ride change with coilovers (and yes I realize that ICONs are digressive). I would hope...done right...everything would be better. And no...the last thing I want is it to float like some old Lincoln Town Car. :)

12. Oct 24, 2011 at 2:29 PM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    Ya forgot the lower control arms

13. Oct 24, 2011 at 2:30 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    ^just make your own :p

14. Oct 24, 2011 at 2:31 PM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    Icons are digressive but I think you know what your talkin about and the way coilovers ride depends on how high you crank them, its best to just lift enough to clear the tires for the best ride

15. Oct 24, 2011 at 2:31 PM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    Maybe I will :spy:

16. Oct 24, 2011 at 2:42 PM
    MyNameIsLego

MyNameIsLego [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    11' TX Pro
    Haha, I fixed it. I'm an idiot.

17. Oct 24, 2011 at 3:25 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    A lift will most definitely compromise your safety and others on the road.
    Are looks really worth that?

18. Oct 24, 2011 at 3:36 PM
    Mr.Ed

Mr.Ed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilbur's Barn
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail V6
    Toytec Ulimate W/Dakar leaf pack, LR UCA'S, Undercover, Weather Tech, Block Heater
    I did the Toytec Ultimate with the LR UCA, Dacar pack. I like it was easy to install. If I did it over I would go with the Dacars, Icon, the LR UCA's & longer rear break lines. Still need the lines. The Dacar pack lifted 4". Just my 2 cents.

19. Oct 24, 2011 at 3:37 PM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    Are you stupid

20. Oct 24, 2011 at 3:41 PM
    THExBUSxDRIVER

THExBUSxDRIVER Victory is reserved...

Member:
    First Name:
    GOO5E
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Tan!
    Not enough.
    Want cheap LT?

5100's on OME 885's

Stack 3 spidertrax spacers per side on the front and one per side in the rear.

C-notch the frame and bed and run it on nothing but leafs.

TADA!

Products Discussed in

To Top