Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

New LT Suspension...doing it RIGHT...thoughts?

Old 10-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
MyNameIsLego is on a distinguished road

Name: John
MyNameIsLego's Tacoma Gallery
New LT Suspension...doing it RIGHT...thoughts?

Hey All,
So I've been neglecting this forum for a few months now cause I've been abroad but recently returned and just upgraded to the TRD Supercharger. LOVE IT! Next step was the sound system but I'm over it and will do that later...I want to upgrade my suspension THE RIGHT WAY as well as replace my tires/wheels. I've read for hours on the forums here and some of the stickies are incredible...not to mention the drool-worthy builds. Below are my goals and then what I think I want and a few questions...however I know there are some veterans in this game who could definitely set me up right. All my thanks in advance! And if I missed a post that can answer these, by all means yell at me and send me a link.

GOALS:
- Lift my ride safely and correctly w/o compromise (aka no spacer shananigans!)
- Not really on a budget....but will sh*t a brick if you think I'm spending $10g on an upgrade like this
- 3"-6"...I've seen Tacos that look great on both...I don't want a monster truck but I want something that can rock 33's and hold it's own anywhere from a day's worth of mudding to amateur competitions. Probably more towards the 3".
- Possibly do it myself (w/ a friend) but not above going to an auto-shop
- No jerry-rigging, if something breaks it's cause of part failure not install failure
- Have a full and complete suspension upgrade...not piece mealing parts of it or waiting for money down the road...I want it all done at one (or over a week, whatever)...but not dragging out as some project over months

THOUGHTS:
- I think LT is the best way to go so new coilovers, leaf packs in the rear and probably an upgrade to a 285/70R17...though folks said to rock the 16's from experience. (Cost)
- I am really digging the ICONs & total chaos, but sometimes it seems like brand names are all about fanboys shouting out...if you can justify something better PLEASE inform me

QUESTIONS:
- Is 3" of lift enough?...leaning towards a blend of performance and aesthetics...but some trucks look freakin' dumb with these huge lifts and personally I've seen more 3" lifts on here that look legit versus 6" lifts
- What all will I need? I know most coilover kits come with all the necessities but are there hidden parts/items I should be wary of?

Allright, well I have a nagging feeling that some people are rolling there eyes about these questions...but we all started here at one time and I am trying my best to get up to speed on everything this forum covered on the subject. Thanks again.

~ Lego
Old 10-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
3" is enough, coilovers and a new leaf pack is the best way to go.

a lift and LT are not the same thing, LT requires an entire suspension overhaul, not to mention glass, engine mount upgrades, yada yada yada
Old 10-24-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
Name: David
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
LT is gonna be pricy no matter how you do it. mid travel would be the budget way to do what you want to do.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
i think mid travel may be what you're aiming for here.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
If you think spending 10k on suspension is crazy, lt is not the way for you. Long travel for the front to do it correctly your looking at at least 5 grand. And for the rear your looking at 5 grand plus all the fab work. You need new leaf speing hangars and a bed cage.. For long travel a lot of people spend 20k plus.

Mid travel is the way for you.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #6

Ahhh, that makes more sense now. Thanks for the clarification on the LT there Konaborne!
Old 10-24-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
Name: David
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
your prolly gonna want a set of deaver leafs and some icons or king coil overs.....
Old 10-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
the best 3" setup you can get is

a set of coilovers (Icon, Fox, King, SAW)

with a set of new UCA's
(DSM, Camburg, Total Chaos, Light Racing)

a new leaf pack
(Deavers, OME, All Pro)

with longer rear resi shocks
(Icon, Bilstein 5150, Fox, King)

no problem op. Living in hawaii...I didnt even know LT existed before coming on here, let alone wtf it was
Old 10-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
FixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
FixedTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on what you are planning to do with your truck. If you want to drive fast in the desert than LT would be good but remember it will cost 10k+ and you will need some extra money on the side just in case you brake something. If your not going to do anything crazy then Mid travel would be best. Get yourself some good shock for the front and rear with new leaf pack and call it a day.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
All pro front lt with a solid leaf pack 2.5 resi will be good for more of an all around bad ass rig
Old 10-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
the best 3" setup you can get is

a set of coilovers (Icon, Fox, King, SAW)

with a set of new UCA's
(DSM, Camburg, Total Chaos, Light Racing)

a new leaf pack
(Deavers, OME, All Pro)

with longer rear resi shocks
(Icon, Bilstein 5150, Fox, King)

no problem op. Living in hawaii...I didnt even know LT existed before coming on here, let alone wtf it was
Nice, that's definitely what I've been looking at. Now, I've been eyeballing the ICONs and folks love them...but are the other high end COs comparable? The only complaint I have heard about the ICONs is "feeling every pebble on the road" so on one hand it's really responsive (+) but on the other I don't want it to make my ride hella bumpy (-) so I am prone to not want to use it on long drives. I guess my question is...how much does your ride change with coilovers (and yes I realize that ICONs are digressive). I would hope...done right...everything would be better. And no...the last thing I want is it to float like some old Lincoln Town Car.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #12
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Ya forgot the lower control arms
Old 10-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #13
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
^just make your own :P
Old 10-24-2011, 03:31 PM   #14
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsLego View Post
Nice, that's definitely what I've been looking at. Now, I've been eyeballing the ICONs and folks love them...but are the other high end COs comparable? The only complaint I have heard about the ICONs is "feeling every pebble on the road" so on one hand it's really responsive (+) but on the other I don't want it to make my ride hella bumpy (-) so I am prone to not want to use it on long drives. I guess my question is...how much does your ride change with coilovers (and yes I realize that ICONs are progressive). I would hope...done right...everything would be better. And no...the last thing I want is it to float like some old Lincoln Town Car.
Icons are digressive but I think you know what your talkin about and the way coilovers ride depends on how high you crank them, its best to just lift enough to clear the tires for the best ride
Old 10-24-2011, 03:31 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
^just make your own :P
Maybe I will
Old 10-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
Icons are digressive but I think you know what your talkin about and the way coilovers ride depends on how high you crank them, its best to just lift enough to clear the tires for the best ride
Haha, I fixed it. I'm an idiot.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:25 PM   #17
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsLego View Post
Hey All,
So I've been neglecting this forum for a few months now cause I've been abroad but recently returned and just upgraded to the TRD Supercharger. LOVE IT! Next step was the sound system but I'm over it and will do that later...I want to upgrade my suspension THE RIGHT WAY as well as replace my tires/wheels. I've read for hours on the forums here and some of the stickies are incredible...not to mention the drool-worthy builds. Below are my goals and then what I think I want and a few questions...however I know there are some veterans in this game who could definitely set me up right. All my thanks in advance! And if I missed a post that can answer these, by all means yell at me and send me a link.

GOALS:
- Lift my ride safely and correctly w/o compromise (aka no spacer shananigans!)
- Not really on a budget....but will sh*t a brick if you think I'm spending $10g on an upgrade like this
- 3"-6"...I've seen Tacos that look great on both...I don't want a monster truck but I want something that can rock 33's and hold it's own anywhere from a day's worth of mudding to amateur competitions. Probably more towards the 3".
- Possibly do it myself (w/ a friend) but not above going to an auto-shop
- No jerry-rigging, if something breaks it's cause of part failure not install failure
- Have a full and complete suspension upgrade...not piece mealing parts of it or waiting for money down the road...I want it all done at one (or over a week, whatever)...but not dragging out as some project over months

THOUGHTS:
- I think LT is the best way to go so new coilovers, leaf packs in the rear and probably an upgrade to a 285/70R17...though folks said to rock the 16's from experience. (Cost)
- I am really digging the ICONs & total chaos, but sometimes it seems like brand names are all about fanboys shouting out...if you can justify something better PLEASE inform me

QUESTIONS:
- Is 3" of lift enough?...leaning towards a blend of performance and aesthetics...but some trucks look freakin' dumb with these huge lifts and personally I've seen more 3" lifts on here that look legit versus 6" lifts
- What all will I need? I know most coilover kits come with all the necessities but are there hidden parts/items I should be wary of?

Allright, well I have a nagging feeling that some people are rolling there eyes about these questions...but we all started here at one time and I am trying my best to get up to speed on everything this forum covered on the subject. Thanks again.

~ Lego
A lift will most definitely compromise your safety and others on the road.
Are looks really worth that?
Old 10-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #18
Mr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mr.Ed's Tacoma Gallery
I did the Toytec Ultimate with the LR UCA, Dacar pack. I like it was easy to install. If I did it over I would go with the Dacars, Icon, the LR UCA's & longer rear break lines. Still need the lines. The Dacar pack lifted 4". Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
A lift will most definitely compromise your safety and others on the road.
Are looks really worth that?
Are you stupid
Old 10-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #20
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
Want cheap LT?

5100's on OME 885's

Stack 3 spidertrax spacers per side on the front and one per side in the rear.

C-notch the frame and bed and run it on nothing but leafs.

TADA!