Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Suspension set at 1.75 instead of 0.85 by accident

Old 10-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
KingMoo is on a distinguished road
KingMoo's Tacoma Gallery
Suspension set at 1.75 instead of 0.85 by accident

I recently got my truck lifted with 5100s all around and Eibachs up front. Today I the alignment done and I was checking out the shocks and it looks like they were set in the wrong position. I thought 0.85 setting was the second notch from the top. They seem to be in the 3rd notch which I think is 1.75

Should I notice issues and, if not, I may be OK. Or do I have to just take it back and get it all done over again? Sucks to have to pay for a second aligment ($150 done at a different shop) for something they screwed up.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMoo View Post
I recently got my truck lifted with 5100s all around and Eibachs up front. Today I the alignment done and I was checking out the shocks and it looks like they were set in the wrong position. I thought 0.85 setting was the second notch from the top. They seem to be in the 3rd notch which I think is 1.75

Should I notice issues and, if not I may be OK, or do I have to just take it back and get it all done over again? Sucks to have to pay for a second aligment ($150 done at a different shop) for something they screwed up.
Kick them back down a notch before you break something. I'd imagine your CV angles are pretty steep also. You don't want to preload that tall of a coil especially when it's that stiff to begin with. You'll probably like the ride a lot more with the 5100's set at .85 also. It sucks, but you really should reset them.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
1.75 isnt very high so you should be fine. Tons of people run them at 1.75. I wouldnt change it unless you have bro-lean.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Taco 22 View Post
1.75 isnt very high so you should be fine. Tons of people run them at 1.75. I wouldnt change it unless you have bro-lean.
Are you serious?? Show me one person running Eibachs on 5100's set at 1.75... Keeping them that high will surely cause the CV's and boots to wear out quicker and it's way too much preload to have on that coil.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Are you serious?? Show me one person running Eibachs on 5100's set at 1.75... Keeping them that high will surely cause the CV's and boots to wear out quicker and it's way too much preload to have on that coil.
Alright i might have missed the Eibach part

But still, if he doesnt have bro-lean i wouldnt worry about it. Check you cv angle and if its severe then go back down.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
KingMoo's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't know the first thing about whether or not my CV angle is severe or not
Old 10-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #7

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Taco 22 View Post
Alright i might have missed the Eibach part

But still, if he doesnt have bro-lean i wouldnt worry about it. Check you cv angle and if its severe then go back down.
CV issues aside, you'll could potentially bind the coil because you've taken a tall lift coil and compressed it quite a bit. Also, the 5100's will not do a very good job dampening what is now an extremely stiff coil. Do it right, set them back down to .85.

Snap a pic of your CV's and we'll take a look if you'd like. To give you a point of reference, mine are damn near level between the front diff and the hub. You want them to be at 3 degrees or less ideally I believe. They will operate at a more severe angle, but it will wear them out quicker.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
Alright, might be a dumb question, probably gonna kick myself later for asking, but if you are 2wd would it be so bad to leave them in that position? I am asking to due a lack of knowledge with this set up, so dont get mad.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
Resident Fishing Expert
Maverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kameron
Maverick904's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I wouldn't know the first thing about whether or not my CV angle is severe or not
Take a picture..post it up..
Old 10-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
Resident Fishing Expert
Maverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kameron
Maverick904's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Tech31 View Post
Alright, might be a dumb question, probably gonna kick myself later for asking, but if you are 2wd would it be so bad to leave them in that position? I am asking to due a lack of knowledge with this set up, so dont get mad.
should be fine depending on uca clearance and such.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #11
KingMoo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick904 View Post
should be fine depending on uca clearance and such.
stock UCAs

I'll get back with a pic...
Old 10-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #12

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Tech31 View Post
You don't have the CV issues with a 2wd obviously but it's still not a great idea. You could get coil binding or end up doing damage to the strut because they can top out hard. The Eibachs have a high spring rate so preloading them just makes them that much stronger. If you want more lift out of a 2wd, look into spindles, for a 4wd, there's no good way to lift the front end more than 3".
Old 10-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #13
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
You don't have the CV issues with a 2wd obviously but it's still not a great idea. You could get coil binding or end up doing damage to the strut because they can top out hard. The Eibachs have a high spring rate so preloading them just makes them that much stronger. If you want more lift out of a 2wd, look into spindles, for a 4wd, there's no good way to lift the front end more than 3".
Cool, good to know, thanks
Old 10-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #14
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
I would have it put down to 0.85 right away. When I was looking into this set up a year ago I talked to a rep at Eibach and explained what I wanted to do, and he said either at 0, or 0.85 at the very most. I suspect you are lifted over 3" in the front, which will be hard on the CV's, and it must ride really rough, no? How did the alignment turn out at that height?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #15

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
I would have it put down to 0.85 right away. When I was looking into this set up a year ago I talked to a rep at Eibach and explained what I wanted to do, and he said either at 0, or 0.85 at the very most. I suspect you are lifted over 3" in the front, which will be hard on the CV's, and it must ride really rough, no? How did the alignment turn out at that height?
About time back-up arrived, I'm getting out-numbered!
Old 10-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #16
Money Pit
tacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant future

Name: Chase
tacoma89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Should I notice issues and, if not, I may be OK. Or do I have to just take it back and get it all done over again? Sucks to have to pay for a second aligment ($150 done at a different shop) for something they screwed up.

The second notch from the bottom is .85 the third notch from the bottom is 1.75. I think it is the right way. I have the same setup
Old 10-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #17
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
Indeed, are they at the third notch from the top, or third from the bottom? That makes all the difference...
Old 10-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #18
Money Pit
tacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant future

Name: Chase
tacoma89's Tacoma Gallery
Surprised no one else caught that yet. The bottom notch is 0 and it goes up from there
Old 10-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #19

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma89 View Post
Surprised no one else caught that yet. The bottom notch is 0 and it goes up from there

I hope for the OP's sake it's correct... can't believe I missed that, I just saw 1.75 and said to myself 'oh shit'.