Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Problem: Tire is grinding something in wheel well

Old 10-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
sl8rj is on a distinguished road

Name: John
sl8rj's Tacoma Gallery
Problem: Tire is grinding something in wheel well

I just had a leveling kit put on my truck. Now I notice if I am driving at speed around a corner, and I hit a slight depression, my tire will hit something inside the wheel well. I think it's a metal "shoulder" on top of the spring. I don't know the name of the part.

I'm not sure what to do now. I like the level truck. I like have a little more clearance. Should I raise it more? I really don't want to be too high.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #2

sl8rj's Tacoma Gallery
OK - now I have more information. It look like the tire is not grinding at all. The "shoulder" part I mentioned was the upper arm of the suspension. There are no marks on the tire nor are there on the wheel well.

It looks like the actual problem is in the braking system. I get a warning beep when I take corner. The braking system then tries to slow down the right front tire. The owner's manual talks about the warning sound when the brake overheats. Could cornering cause the brake to overheat?

This only happens on right side,and it seems to happen when passenger seat is empty. It doesn't make sense to me, but the only time I an get this to happen is when no one is riding in the passenger seat.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
Wolfrunner is on a distinguished road

Army: Instructor, 3/414th D. Co.
Wolfrunner's Tacoma Gallery
maybe when they installed the level kit they messed with the abs or some toyotas have what is called vsc I think. You should look into your truck and see if it has that. Did you get it aligned after you lifted it?
Old 11-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl8rj View Post
OK - now I have more information. It look like the tire is not grinding at all. The "shoulder" part I mentioned was the upper arm of the suspension. There are no marks on the tire nor are there on the wheel well.

It looks like the actual problem is in the braking system. I get a warning beep when I take corner. The braking system then tries to slow down the right front tire. The owner's manual talks about the warning sound when the brake overheats. Could cornering cause the brake to overheat?

This only happens on right side,and it seems to happen when passenger seat is empty. It doesn't make sense to me, but the only time I an get this to happen is when no one is riding in the passenger seat.
Do the pedals pulse similar to an ABS activation when the beeping happens ?
Old 11-01-2011, 10:08 PM   #5
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Either wheel bearing or traction control!
Old 11-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #7

sl8rj's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the replies. I think it's the brake system, because that's the only "alarm" I can find in the owner's manual.