1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSB and Regular Cab

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by petezny, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Oct 31, 2011 at 1:28 PM
    petezny

petezny [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    11 Standard Cab 4cyl 4WD
    Searched and read a dozen or so threads and downloaded the suspension TSB and still have a stupid question. It would seem to me from reading the TSB that it only applies to Access cab and Double cab. Is there another that applies to the Standard cab? I can't believe that the rear suspension performance on my Taco is what Toyota intended. I did drop from a Chevy 2500HD down to the Taco but the Chevy would take a yard of stone (2,000+lbs) with less sag and hurt to the handling than the Taco does with a load of groceries from Sam's Club. 20 cobble stones had the leaf springs in an inverted arch and the nose way up in the air. Its been a while since I had a compact truck, is this limited load carrying ability that I am to expect or is something wrong? If need be what load enhancement, AAL, air bags or helper springs, would be best for occasional loads and towing. Any input would be appreciated.

2011, 4 cyl, auto, 4x4, standard cab.

2. Oct 31, 2011 at 5:52 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    You are correct that the tsb does not apply to regular cabs. An add a leaf or a new leaf pack will stiffen the rear.

3. Oct 31, 2011 at 7:09 PM
    petezny

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    11 Standard Cab 4cyl 4WD
    Thanks for the reply. Add a leaf sounds best from a price standpoint but how much does that stiffen up the ride when its unloaded? Most threads I have read here about aal seem to be people who off road a lot, already have lifts or carry loads/tow allot. I know they cost allot more but what is the feeling comparison wise on aal compared to airbags, especially for a suburban commuter like me who only loads the truck up occasionally?

4. Dec 11, 2011 at 8:17 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    It appears we have identical trucks with the identical problem. I am considering adding bolt on helper springs as a short term solution ($25-$50). I will probably have a local spring shop build an "add-a-leaf" spring at a future date. Build and install with alignment was quoted at $300. I doubt that the stiffness to the add-a-leaf will be excessivly harsh as the Toyota dealer would have you believe.

5. Dec 12, 2011 at 7:29 AM
    petezny

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    11 Standard Cab 4cyl 4WD
    Hey but here's and update for this thread. The spring TSB does apparently cover the standard cab. Look at the TSB, while the applicability section says "Access Cab and Double Cab" the Standard Cab model is listed as one of the twenty VIN model codes listed below. Kudos to my dealership for looking beyond the top line and checking the VIN model codes. They have ordered and received my springs and I'm scheduled to have them installed on Wednesday. I'll post an update after the install to let you know how it went.

6. Dec 12, 2011 at 7:51 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Congrats you are the first I've heard of who has gotten them to cover it.

7. Dec 12, 2011 at 2:46 PM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Awesome, thanks

8. Dec 12, 2011 at 2:56 PM
    bendbolden

bendbolden Come and take them.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    Yea most just say no. Wolftree I would spend the few extra dollars and get an AAL rather than spring helpers. My 1.5" gave over 2" of lift and helped the towing capacity greatly!

9. Dec 12, 2011 at 3:25 PM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    benbolden,

If I cannot get the TSB, my budget says to get the helper spring for now, with the spring shop add-a-leaf later. There are two excellent spring shops near here that make their own springs. I do not care about or desire lift. But I know it will be there if I add a leaf though, so I will live with it.

As it stands right now, my handling is being affected as well as hauling and towing. So I want and need a suspension upgrade as soon as I can get it. If I have to go about it in stages, so be it.

10. Dec 14, 2011 at 11:51 AM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    I called the Toyota 1-800 number to complain about the weak suspension on my regular cab. I was told to take my truck to the dealer for the inspection. At first the service manager was going strictly by the Heading on the TSB, access cab and double cab only. I pointed out the Vin numbers below and told him that Toyota said to have it inspected. The manager went to place a phone call to Toyota. In a few minutes he returned and said there is an even newer TSB coming out that covers the regular cabs as well. The older TSB is dated Dec 2010. He ordered my new rear springs and will let me know when they come in.

The TSB for 2011 regular cabs only covers the rear springs, not shocks. The shocks are supposedly already heavier.

11. Dec 14, 2011 at 4:19 PM
    petezny

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    11 Standard Cab 4cyl 4WD
    Its done! Dropped my Standard Cab, 4cyl, 4wd, auto off at the dealer at 8:30 and it was done by 11:00. Truck definitely got a 1.5 to 2 inch lift in the rear out of it. Unfortunately I didn't measure the ride height before hand so I can't say exactly. Ride is a lot stiffer and it seems that road noise picked up a bit. Hard to say how much though because I didn't go from driving the non TSB truck straight to the TSB truck, I put 60 miles on the dealers 2012 Camry loaner in between which was so smooth it may have kicked my ride meter off a bit.

So of course I get it home and the first thing I did was throw 800 lbs of crap in the back to bring to the dump. The truck definitely handled the load better, still not my old Chevy 2500HD, but not as lame as before the springs. With 800 lbs (tipped on the scales at the dump) the truck still had tail up rake and the springs were flat. Before a load of this kind would have had the nose up and the springs in an inverted arch so I guess the TSB is a win.

Now however the shocks don't feel right. It seems that with the stiffer springs in the rear it needs stiffer shocks. Just feels funny maybe I'll get used to it or maybe I'll have to go with Bilstens. By the way whoever mentioned standard cabs not getting new shocks the TSB states that ALL 2009 to 2011 are supposed to be springs only, new shocks were only for older models.

[​IMG]

12. Dec 14, 2011 at 5:35 PM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    petezny, I am glad you were able to get your springs. My dealer ordered mine today. You and I even have the same color trucks.

A follow up.

I was turned down for my regular cab rear leaf TSB. I am not certain who to appeal this to. I will keep trying I guess.

13. Dec 19, 2011 at 6:26 PM
    petezny

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    11 Standard Cab 4cyl 4WD
    Ok after five days with the new springs, three loads from 300 to 800 pounds and 300 miles on the odo here is my assement of doing the spring TSB on the standard cab. It may not be a win. We get the same springs in the standard cab that they get in the double cab. Our truck is so much lighter and shorter it is too much spring for the size of the truck and the stock shock absorbers. I don't mind a stiff ride, I had a Chevy 2500HD and drive buses and semi's, the problem here is a jumpy ride. The truck now bounces around a bit and handles funny without weight in the bed. So now I have Bilstein 4600 shocks coming to fix the ride problems. If I just went with air bags I would have saved the nice ride and handling the stock truck had, would have picked up the load carrying ability when I needed it and spent the same amount of cash that I am spending on the Bilsteins. And the air bags would have been easier to install then the front and rear shocks. I am going to just install the rears first to see if that's enough.

14. Dec 20, 2011 at 4:31 AM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    petezny,

That is interesting about your ride after the TSB spring replacement. A 4X4 Access Cab only weighs 20# more and a 4X4 Double Cab only weighs 120# more than our Regular cabs with the same engine and transmission.

Thanks for your report.

15. Dec 20, 2011 at 4:58 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Timbrens would be my choice for beefing up the ride in the reg cab, or the Firestone ones. My truck is past warranty doing it. The access cab definitely needed the AAL but have waited to see how the reg cab handled with 3 leaf pack. I did put the TRD Bilsteins on it. It rides OK but haven't loaded it down much and it does have 2" rake where the access cab was level after lift & AAL. It handled 1400 lbs but was squatted in back but wasn't riding on bumpstops. Not sure how the reg cab would handle that kind of weight. The OP's experience with stiffening up the back is why I haven't done anything back there on this one. This one also handles corners much better than the access cab did with shitty 3 leaf pack too.

16. Dec 20, 2011 at 9:24 AM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    "Supersprings" or air bags are also starting to look attractive as an option for regular cabs.

17. Dec 20, 2011 at 9:44 AM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    Good report.
    Yep, sounds like your present shocks cannot keep up with the spring rate of the new springs.
    Many go with Bilstein 5100 for these trucks.

18. Dec 20, 2011 at 6:27 PM
    petezny

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    11 Standard Cab 4cyl 4WD
    The range is actually more extreme the 4wd 4 cyl auto standard cab has a curb weight of 3755 and the 4wd 6 cyl auto double cab has a curb weight of 4185 so it weights 430 lbs more and is 18 inches longer so its hanging some of that weight on a longer arm, especially with a load in the bed or on the hitch. Both trucks get the same replacement springs under the TSB however. That might explain why some double cab users say the TSB springs aren't enough and I complained that they overpowered the shocks. My truck only feels "right" now with a couple hundred pounds in the bed. I think that my truck is going to feel much better with the right shocks however at least the bounciness should stop. I'll know next week after my new rear Bilstein 4600s get delivered.

19. Dec 20, 2011 at 9:04 PM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    petezny, I thought I was at first going to be able to get the TSB as well for my regular cab. But the service manager talked with someone at Toyota and I was turned down. I am not certain which route I may end up taking. I am looking at several options. I have a A.R.E. fiberglass bed cap, so that would serve as the 100# weight should I get the TSB or go with a ADD-A-Leaf.

I have had Access cab Tacomas and they were enjoyable to drive, but I think you will agree Regular cab Tacomas are just plain fun to drive in comparison. So what ever it takes to work out the suspension is worth it.

20. Jan 3, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    petezny,

Let us know how the Bilsteins 4600s work out for you.

Products Discussed in

To Top