Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

best affordable lift kit?

Old 10-31-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
fkli222 is on a distinguished road

fkli222's Tacoma Gallery
best affordable lift kit?

moving to the snow with my 2wd taco and would like to put a 3 inch lift with 33 inch snow tires? good idea?

what would be the best affordable lift kit 2.5-3 inches that wouldnt damage the diff in the long run?
Old 10-31-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Use the "search" feature and you will find what you are looking for.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...uide-read.html
Old 10-31-2011, 01:54 PM   #4

fkli222's Tacoma Gallery
thanks guys!
Old 10-31-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW, a lift kit on a 2wd with big ol fat tires would be about the worst thing you could do for snow performance. Keep the suspension where it is, go one series taller with the tires and keep them narrow and snowflake rated. If you want the lift for looks, great but it will not help you in the snow.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:04 PM   #6

fkli222's Tacoma Gallery
what do you mean 1 series taller? should i just get 1 inch blocks or leafs?
Old 10-31-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

we need to know what kind of truck you have before we can relly tell you anything.

the more information you give us the more we can give you.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:11 PM   #8
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
we need to know what kind of truck you have before we can relly tell you anything.

the more information you give us the more we can give you.
This.

Fink
Old 10-31-2011, 02:18 PM   #9
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkli222 View Post
what do you mean 1 series taller? should i just get 1 inch blocks or leafs?
Where are you moving to, are you talking about a couple inches of snow or several feet a year?

Also, ZombieRunner is correct, we need some more info, what do you do with the truck, do you off road, are you doing the lift just for looks or are you looking to improve functionality in the snow? Don't do blocks...
Old 10-31-2011, 02:21 PM   #10

do you have a 5 lug or a 6 lug? what year?
Old 11-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #11

fkli222's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry I have 08 taco double cab with extended bed. I am moving to new York and I don't off road. I was thinking of a small lift just for looks and so I can put bigger tires for the snow.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #12
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sorry I have 08 taco double cab with extended bed. I am moving to new York and I don't off road. I was thinking of a small lift just for looks and so I can put bigger tires for the snow.
I understand the looks thing, but you don't need bigger tires for the snow.

I ran 265's in Arkansas during the worse winter on record and I did just fine in 2WD with careful driving just about everywhere I went.

I would spend your money on a really good set of tires and be done with it. If you really just want to lift it, then go that route, but I wanted to be sure you weren't spending your money erroneously.

Fink
Old 11-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #13

fkli222's Tacoma Gallery
thanks everyone for all your help.

is the readylift kit considered a block lift? if not, is that one good for the price? I was thinking if I did do it only like a 2 inch lift, nothing dramatic.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #14
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

is the readylift kit considered a block lift? if not, is that one good for the price? I was thinking if I did do it only like a 2 inch lift, nothing dramatic.
I think it depends on which ReadyLift you are talking about.

All of the ReadyLift products I have seen are leveling kits, which are front coil spacers.

If that is what you are looking at, I would suggest saving your money for a true suspension lift (new coils, shocks, leafs, etc...).

Here's a link to what I found.

Fink
Old 11-01-2011, 08:58 AM   #15

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I believe readylift is a spacer kit. They work as a cheap lift but they're far from the best option and can hinder ride quality.

Also, Fink is right about the tires/lift. Go one series taller on the tires, keep them narrow, get good tires and you'll have no issues in the snow. I grew up in NY and had 2wd pickups from the time I was 16 - 22. I usually put a 'digger' on the back, a good ribbed pattern tire on the front, some weight in the front of the bed and good to go. Studded snows might not be a bad option depending on where in NY you're heading and what your commute is like.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:14 AM   #16

fkli222's Tacoma Gallery
sounds good i will do that in the mean time and save up for a lift in the future. i have heard people go bilstein lift kit with 5100's all the way around and leafs? is that a good way to go?
Old 11-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #17
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
sounds good i will do that in the mean time and save up for a lift in the future. i have heard people go bilstein lift kit with 5100's all the way around and leafs? is that a good way to go?
5100s by themselves are not going to lift you, they will level you out in the front, but they aren't going to give you a full lift.

If I were you, I would just get the TSB rear leafs (assuming this is an option for you still), run 5100s up front at .85 and be done with it.

Fink
Old 11-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fink View Post
5100s by themselves are not going to lift you, they will level you out in the front, but they aren't going to give you a full lift.

If I were you, I would just get the TSB rear leafs (assuming this is an option for you still), run 5100s up front at .85 and be done with it.

Fink
5100's set at 1.75 to level him out as he sits now. he could throw the next size tire on with that and im sure thats what he is looking for anyways.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #19
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
5100's set at 1.75 to level him out as he sits now. he could throw the next size tire on with that and im sure thats what he is looking for anyways.
Thanks for the correction - I thought it was .85 to level.

Fink
Old 11-01-2011, 10:20 AM   #20

fkli222's Tacoma Gallery
thanks! so all i would need is 5100's and rear leafs? i want the back and front lift to be even. is there anything else i need in the front or back?