Notices

stock CO for non-4 wheeler

Old 11-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
dbrosnan2009 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Navy beer drinker
Name: Dan
dbrosnan2009's Tacoma Gallery
stock CO for non-4 wheeler

I am a newbie. I do not go 4 wheeling. I do mostly highway driving. My tires are cupping very bad on inside edge. Numerous alignments to no avail. I googled symptoms and came up with "replace front strutts". All parts on my vehicle are original and have 160K miles. I figure time to replace suspention. I have read through much of the "must read" stuff. I figure I want to keep it simple and replace the "coil over strutt thingy" whihc comes pre-assembled as a unit. I will remove one bolt on bottom and 3 nuts on top to replace. Install complete unit and I will not have to worry about compressing spring, buying rubber parts, upper thingy, etc. Since I have a 2wd and do not go off roading I do not want to lift the vehicle. Seems like all the talk is about lifting vehicles and lift kits, etc. My question is ...... where can I get a quality CO strutt assembly that does not lift, nor adjustable. Can anyone recommend a CO strutt and location where I can purchase? The only one I could find is the EZ Strutt from Strutmaster website for $92. I do not want cheap ... I just don't require off road performance for $750.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
oh yeah, it is a 2004 tacoma, 2wd, pre-runner ...... I think ..... it has the TRD sticker on the rear fender, 6 cyl, 5VZ type engine, 4 door,
Old 11-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
are you rotating tires at regular intervals? And when you get the truck aligned is your previous alignment out of wack?
Old 11-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
i do rotate but not consistently. The alignment never seems to be much different from what it was set to previously. My alignment dude and I were running some experiments to see if we could fix the problem by increasing the toe beyond the spec. We did a little bit more each alighment and it never really reduced the cupping problem. I am pretty confident my front shocks are goners and need to be replaced. I wish I would have realized this a year or so ago and I would have saved my Michelin tires.