1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Top mount failure

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Dentinskillet, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Nov 10, 2008 at 4:28 PM
    Dentinskillet

Dentinskillet [OP] Member

Member:
    Greeley CO
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    3inch fabtech suspention lift, 285/75/16 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ, 16x8.5 Dick Cepek DC-1
    I bought my truck with a 3" Fabtech Coil over suspension lift. I had it for about a year and on the front passanger side the coilover broke though the the top mount. So I took it in and got both replaced topmounts and coilovers on both sides. Just about a month ago, almost exactly a year later from when I had them replaced the first time. The same front passanger side broke through again. The coilovers were still under warranty but they said they could not replace them because it was the Toyota factory part that failed and not the fabtech part. I had to replace that side again! The coilover was broken due to it breaking through the top mount. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if there was an aftermaket upgrade for the top mount and/or a better way to do it. I wouldnt mind spending the money now to get it fixed right, so I dont have to keep spending $85 on a part that is going to keep breaking.

On the plus side of this when I took it in to get it replaced the second time they misunderstood me and replaced both sides!! I argued with them for sometime telling them that I was not going to pay for their mistake. Finally a manger came and said they would cover it. So I only had to pay for one coil over!! I was pretty excited about that part. A whole new front end for the price of one!! HAHAHA suckers!!

2. Nov 10, 2008 at 9:03 PM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    i broke my coil bucket once in half... but it was from hitting a rock outcropping at 45mph while prerunning Barstow Main...

:D

mikebroken_591292ccdc1d2d5995a80af3f13d7f78fdab97f3.jpg

3. Nov 10, 2008 at 9:04 PM
    Dentinskillet

Dentinskillet [OP] Member

Member:
    Greeley CO
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    3inch fabtech suspention lift, 285/75/16 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ, 16x8.5 Dick Cepek DC-1

lol No no pictures.. I was to pissed that I had to fix it again to think of taking pictures.. hahaha

4. Nov 10, 2008 at 9:05 PM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    anywho, if its the coil bucket you are tearing through like mine, get a top plate fabricated and weld it on to reinforce that area...

if you need a set, PM me and i can give you the contact info to the fabricator who fixed my coil bucket and makes the plates...

Products Discussed in

To Top