Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Top mount failure

Old 11-10-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
Dentinskillet is on a distinguished road
Dentinskillet's Tacoma Gallery
Top mount failure

I bought my truck with a 3" Fabtech Coil over suspension lift. I had it for about a year and on the front passanger side the coilover broke though the the top mount. So I took it in and got both replaced topmounts and coilovers on both sides. Just about a month ago, almost exactly a year later from when I had them replaced the first time. The same front passanger side broke through again. The coilovers were still under warranty but they said they could not replace them because it was the Toyota factory part that failed and not the fabtech part. I had to replace that side again! The coilover was broken due to it breaking through the top mount. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if there was an aftermaket upgrade for the top mount and/or a better way to do it. I wouldnt mind spending the money now to get it fixed right, so I dont have to keep spending $85 on a part that is going to keep breaking.

On the plus side of this when I took it in to get it replaced the second time they misunderstood me and replaced both sides!! I argued with them for sometime telling them that I was not going to pay for their mistake. Finally a manger came and said they would cover it. So I only had to pay for one coil over!! I was pretty excited about that part. A whole new front end for the price of one!! HAHAHA suckers!!
Old 11-10-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
i broke my coil bucket once in half... but it was from hitting a rock outcropping at 45mph while prerunning Barstow Main...

Old 11-10-2008, 09:04 PM   #3
Dentinskillet is on a distinguished road
Dentinskillet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesdoublecab View Post
i broke my coil bucket once in half... but it was from hitting a rock outcropping at 45mph while prerunning Barstow Main...

lol No no pictures.. I was to pissed that I had to fix it again to think of taking pictures.. hahaha
Old 11-10-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
anywho, if its the coil bucket you are tearing through like mine, get a top plate fabricated and weld it on to reinforce that area...

if you need a set, PM me and i can give you the contact info to the fabricator who fixed my coil bucket and makes the plates...