Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Bilsteins with the TSB

Old 11-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
Wife Wants to Drive My Tacoma!
pskubota is on a distinguished road

pskubota's Tacoma Gallery
Bilsteins with the TSB

I have an 08 Double cab 4x4, non TRD. I will be getting the Suspension TSB done as soon as I have a little time to bring the truck down to the shop. I was wondering if you think the dealer would install Bilstein shocks instead of the regular shocks they're supposed to come with if I paid the extra parts cost. (1) Do you think I should go with the Bilsteins? (2) How much more do you think the Bilsteins would add to the TSB? and (3) Does it cost any more to install these types of shocks? Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard some dealers will do it, not all. Charge will be anywhere from 200 to 300 extra.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Have you looked at the TSB?
(sorry, but I don't have time to look it up for you)

I'm pretty sure the TSB requires them to install the TRD shocks (bilsteins) in the rear only if you don't already have them.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Have you looked at the TSB?
(sorry, but I don't have time to look it up for you)

I'm pretty sure the TSB requires them to install the TRD shocks (bilsteins) in the rear only if you don't already have them.
Yep - for the TRD, they only do the rear. That's what they did on mine. I even "marked" my front shocks before and checked them after - no change...
Old 11-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #5
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Janster, If your truck is not a TRD, they are supposed to put 4 new bilstein shocks on, If it is a TRD, you only get the new leaf springs.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:03 PM   #6
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtacomaguy View Post
Janster, If your truck is not a TRD, they are supposed to put 4 new bilstein shocks on, If it is a TRD, you only get the new leaf springs.
yup yup....mine was a trd and they still swapped 4 shocks on mine....i didnt complain

• Non-TRD Option Package Truck
OP CODE DESCRIPTION TIME OFP T1 T2
SU7003 Rear Spring Assembly (Both Sides) 1.4
Combo A Front Shock Absorber (Both Sides) 1.5
Combo B Rear Shock Absorber (Both Sides) 0.6

Combo C Alignment 1.2
Combo D Front Toe-in 0.1
Combo E Front Camber 0.2
Combo F Front Caster 0.2
Old 11-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
When I hasd the TSB done I specifically told them NOT to touch my shocks.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:26 PM   #8
Wife Wants to Drive My Tacoma!
pskubota is on a distinguished road

pskubota's Tacoma Gallery
I looked at the TSB but couldn't tell what kind of shocks they would put on. I assumed the same kind that originally came with my non-TRD (non Bilsteins). Can you tell from the TSB that they are indeed Bilsteins that they have to replace them with?
Old 11-10-2008, 10:28 PM   #9
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pskubota View Post
I looked at the TSB but couldn't tell what kind of shocks they would put on. I assumed the same kind that originally came with my non-TRD (non Bilsteins). Can you tell from the TSB that they are indeed Bilsteins that they have to replace them with?
they will be replaced w/ the bilsteins that come on the trd trucks