Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Why are body lifts not a good idea?

Old 11-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
If ya ain't first, your last!
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
Name: Nate
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Why are body lifts not a good idea?

Alright, so I've been back and forth on what lift kit to purchase. I don't do any offroading, aside from a gravel or dirt road here and there while hunting. I've done some looking around on the forums and everyone seems to hate on the body lifts? I'm not an expert on lifts whatsoever, so I was curious as to what their flaws are? To me, it seems like a good idea, given the price, and the fact that I don't ever go offroad, plus less wear and tear on my suspension and front end compared to a suspension lift (or am I wrong). Anyways, can someone clue me in as to the "cons" of these body lifts?
Old 11-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
BBody lifts weaken the connection between the body of the truck and the frame by adding spacers, if you get into an accident, this can be a damage multiplier
also, there's been quite a few people who have had the spacers wear holes completely through their frames.

There's small lifts that allow for larger lifts that are well within the "safe" zone for suspension wear
Old 11-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
i have a bl....
Old 11-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
rex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
rex99's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.links4jeeps.com/forum/ind...?topic=11553.0

word to the wise, search "body lift" on google with caution
Old 11-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
It raises you CG (center of gravity) and you roll over much easier and "accident avoidance" (especially at higher speeds) is much more difficult.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSHeloPilot View Post
It raises you CG (center of gravity) and you roll over much easier and "accident avoidance" (especially at higher speeds) is much more difficult.
Could that not be said of all lifts though ?
Old 11-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
Glamour Shot
ajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ajohnson's Tacoma Gallery
Any sort of lift is going to raise the COG.

Most problems associated with body lifts occur because a small washer is used on the bolts inside the cab, causing the cab to rip off the bolts. A properly installed body lift with large washers inside the cab will not have problems.

I would personally never used a body lift above 1" because they are ugly. I don't like the frame showing.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Could that not be said of all lifts though ?
Yes ... it is generic to all lifts ...
Old 11-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #9
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
I love these BL threads.

I don't have one but it's always fun reading the same nonsense replies of people copying and pasting stuff they're heard from somebody who heard oh no this that blah blah..

BL have their good points (if done right) and their bad points (done right or wrong), just like DB lifts do and yes Oh's no's even the 3" lifts. I could go over all the good and bad points but I have more important things to do, well actually I don't but I'm lazy and as history will show here, about 75+% will bash them. I don't like BL's or hate them.

As far as the ugly frame hanging down, look at it as free sliders. May look ugly but so do DB's. At least the frame hanging down keeps your doors off the ground, though I doubt many would do that kind of wheeling with a BL anyway.

With all that said I don't think I would use one. I might try one if it wasn't such a hassle to swap it back to stock. Too much BS to try as an expeirment. All the ghetto spacers, hose extension etc. Too ghetto me thinks. The basic concept seem ok but in reality egh no, probablly not.

Plus they're gay!
Old 11-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #10
SSS
oneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: SSS
oneBIGroom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post
i have a bl....
I just ordered a 3" ProComp lift and a 3" body lift. But I just wanted height, cause I hate how short 1st gens are. I wouldn't recommend it for offroading, but im a PreRunner so I dont plan on it. Body lifts add height and dont effect ride quality, and I dont think body lifts look that bad with gap guards. I also have running boards so they'll help hide the frame. And if you use grade 8 bolts it would take a bad wreck for your cab to go anywhere. I just didnt want to spend $2000+ on a Fabtech that i'd never put to use.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #11
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad68 View Post
I love these BL threads.

I don't have one but it's always fun reading the same nonsense replies of people copying and pasting stuff they're heard from somebody who heard oh no this that blah blah..

BL have their good points (if done right) and their bad points (done right or wrong), just like DB lifts do and yes Oh's no's even the 3" lifts. I could go over all the good and bad points but I have more important things to do, well actually I don't but I'm lazy and as history will show here, about 75+% will bash them. I don't like BL's or hate them.

As far as the ugly frame hanging down, look at it as free sliders. May look ugly but so do DB's. At least the frame hanging down keeps your doors off the ground, though I doubt many would do that kind of wheeling with a BL anyway.

With all that said I don't think I would use one. I might try one if it wasn't such a hassle to swap it back to stock. Too much BS to try as an expeirment. All the ghetto spacers, hose extension etc. Too ghetto me thinks. The basic concept seem ok but in reality egh no, probablly not.

Plus they're gay!
I just post things I've seen firsthand
Old 11-06-2011, 12:33 AM   #13
1998tacomaowner is on a distinguished road
Name: chris
1998tacomaowner's Tacoma Gallery
They suck don't do it and they look like shit
Old 11-06-2011, 12:38 AM   #14
99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
99TacoDriver's Tacoma Gallery
i have a body lift and im taking it off once its time for me to get new tires and the reason is that it is cracking through the frame of the truck......ill post pics later so u can see the damage it has caused

also the bolts that hold them on re always becoming loose and have actually fell out one time. luckily the body mount did not slide out or it could have caused major damage
Old 11-06-2011, 12:40 AM   #15
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
My friend had one on his Ranger. The body mount started pushing the floor pan up. Gotta love being a cheap ass.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:42 AM   #16
99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
i wasnt the original owner so i had no choice :/
Old 11-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #17
ok so i know its been a while but here are the pics of the body lift and the frame cracking:

this is what the lift looks like....its little unclear but u can see i put a plate between the frame and the puck (to stop the puck from cracking through the frame) it give the frame a little more room to rest on

tthis is inside the truck where the bolt that goes through the puck is bolted at

this is the cracking....you can see it under the washer where it began to be pulled through the frame and cracked the frame

Attached Thumbnails
Why are body lifts not a good idea?-img_0059.jpg   Why are body lifts not a good idea?-img_0058.jpg   Why are body lifts not a good idea?-img_0057.jpg