Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

problem installing lifted struts

Old 11-06-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
B ryan is on a distinguished road
Name: Bryan
B ryan's Tacoma Gallery
problem installing lifted struts

So I got a spacer kit for the top of the strut tower. I know that not many of you are fans but it's what I can afford for now. So the plan was to replace all the shocks at the same time. so when I went to install the strut back in I couldn't get it to seat. I couldn't lower the uca enough to get the 2.5" spacer in. (I was trying to do this with out taking the upper ball joint conection off, I couldn't get it to come appart.) Any way I had to cut bait and just install the strut without the spacer. any advise, on how to get it to fit easier? do I need to get a ball joint seperator and that will fix my problem of not having enough freeplay to work with? I did read at one point someone used needle nose pliers but I couldn't get that to work. I'm thinking to just take it in to have a shop finish the job.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
jr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
jr114's Tacoma Gallery
i just took a hammer and gently tapped the top of the spindle to release the ball joint. your going to need to remove the uca from the spindle at the very least to fit the new strut in place
Old 11-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
11B4X4 is on a distinguished road

Army: GRUNT
11B4X4's Tacoma Gallery
I may be way off here, But i beleive you are having the same problem i had as well. I had to take off the sway bar and unhook the caliper from the rotor to get enough room to slip everything into place. Still needed a rubber malet to tap everything in. If you try this make sure u hang the caliper up by wire so you don't damge your breakline.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
GM Convert
Brianstemm is a glorious beacon of lightBrianstemm is a glorious beacon of lightBrianstemm is a glorious beacon of lightBrianstemm is a glorious beacon of lightBrianstemm is a glorious beacon of lightBrianstemm is a glorious beacon of light

Brianstemm's Tacoma Gallery
I installed my lift yesterday and used the youtube video method. Basically it involves taking the two bolts out from the LCA knuckle and loosening the cam bolts at the other end of the LCA. All went very easy until the time came to install the much longer strut assembly. What I did then was put a rachet strap over the strut bracket and under the LCA. Making sure to move the brake lines out of the way, I slowly tightened the strap and it went together very easily afterwards. Love the new lift! Good luck hope this helps.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Disconnect the anti-swaybar and get a prybar to push down on the lower control arm, you may need an extra set of hands.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
08bluetacoma is a jewel in the rough08bluetacoma is a jewel in the rough08bluetacoma is a jewel in the rough

EMS:
Name: Dave
08bluetacoma's Tacoma Gallery
when i did mine i bolted the top of the strut in first got a heavy friend to stand on the lower control arm and it popped right in.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
B ryan's Tacoma Gallery
Well i ended up getting a ball joint separator and that got the upper ball joint out and I was able to get the new spaced strut in but then when I went to reassemble, the upper ball joint bolt got stripped. So then had to go buy a new one and try to replace it. no matter how hard my father-in-law and I tried though we could not get the upper ball joint to separate from the arm. So i bandaged it and took it to a local shop. I hate not being able to do something that in theory seems so easy. but I'll let it become their problem now. Thanks for the advise though to all of you. I did use it to get the strut in place. (I feel a little less manly after all that )
Old 11-06-2011, 10:26 PM   #8
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
You'll want aftermarket UCA's anyways after your lift. You'll see what I mean when you drive it. You should just drop coin and buy em, you will eventually
Old 11-07-2011, 12:59 AM   #9
B ryan's Tacoma Gallery
what exactly would the difference be? I'm not familiar with what an after market uca would benefit. is it longer, aiding in more travel for the suspension?
Old 11-07-2011, 05:25 AM   #10
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
You won't need new UCA's. The second gens have alignment issues after lifts. Your 2000 should be fine.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:54 AM   #11
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B ryan View Post
what exactly would the difference be? I'm not familiar with what an after market uca would benefit. is it longer, aiding in more travel for the suspension?
The just add to the caster angle. Like John said, you won't need them.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #12

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
The just add to the caster angle. Like John said, you won't need them.
What he said. ^^^

Not sent from an iPhone.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #14
B ryan's Tacoma Gallery
well took it to local shop that has good reviews. cost me $260 for just the labor of putting in one new replacement strut and and a ball joint. The worst part is as soon as I turned the car on the ABS light came on and stayed on. I went back in and they said " yea we noticed that but we made sure all our conections were good" I told them that it wasn't on when I took it in and now, after they worked on it, it's on. They basically said they would run a diagnostic but couldn't tonight cause they're closing. They also said I would have to pay for it. I'm pissed!
Old 11-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #15
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B ryan View Post
well took it to local shop that has good reviews. cost me $260 for just the labor of putting in one new replacement strut and and a ball joint. The worst part is as soon as I turned the car on the ABS light came on and stayed on. I went back in and they said " yea we noticed that but we made sure all our conections were good" I told them that it wasn't on when I took it in and now, after they worked on it, it's on. They basically said they would run a diagnostic but couldn't tonight cause they're closing. They also said I would have to pay for it. I'm pissed!
They over stretched the wire and broke it internally. It is their fault and they're responsible for fixing it at no cost.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #16
B ryan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
They over stretched the wire and broke it internally. It is their fault and they're responsible for fixing it at no cost.
^^^^nailed it, they over stretched the wire and broke it. They were trying to screw me over and make me pay for it. I gave them hell and they backed down and fixed it at their expense. Not many words were said when I went and picked up my truck. Not going back there for any more work. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #18
B ryan's Tacoma Gallery
^^^Bumper looks awesome! No I got one new shock and spacer on and when I went to bolt the upper ball joint to the uca the bolt got stripped out. So I bought a new one and got the ball joint fork but couldn't get the the thing out so I didn't have a lot of options. But yea, don't remind me how much I spent for what I got. But since I replaced all the shocks at the same time the ride is actually better now.