Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Shudder on accel only after lift kit

Old 11-11-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
dandyman is on a distinguished road
dandyman's Tacoma Gallery
Shudder on accel only after lift kit

Hello all and thank you in advance for any help..
08 Tacoma Auto TRD w/ Factory Billstien 5100
Installed the 884 new front coils and spacers, the rear AAL and the 3* shims (Toytec kit)..since the install i have a shudder on any degree of acceleration from about 5-15mph..i have since tried to shim the carrier bearing and removed the spacers..if no change with/without shims and/or CB changes perhaps the one piece driveshaft is next?? just wanted to be sure im not missing other possible issues..the shudder is minor but once noticed it of course gets to be quite annoying..seems there are a lot of unique issues regarding vibs after lifts but i havent seen this one.
ALSO, whats the difference between factory Billstiens and non factory?
Again, thanks for any help and sorry if this is yet another vibration issue that has been resolved and i couldnt find it in the forums.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandyman View Post
Hello all and thank you in advance for any help..
08 Tacoma Auto TRD w/ Factory Billstien 5100
Installed the 884 new front coils and spacers, the rear AAL and the 3* shims (Toytec kit)..since the install i have a shudder on any degree of acceleration from about 5-15mph..i have since tried to shim the carrier bearing and removed the spacers..if no change with/without shims and/or CB changes perhaps the one piece driveshaft is next?? just wanted to be sure im not missing other possible issues..the shudder is minor but once noticed it of course gets to be quite annoying..seems there are a lot of unique issues regarding vibs after lifts but i havent seen this one.
ALSO, whats the difference between factory Billstiens and non factory?
Again, thanks for any help and sorry if this is yet another vibration issue that has been resolved and i couldnt find it in the forums.
there is currently no taco, besides the ivan stewart edition that has adjustable/5100's from the factory. if u have the stock yellow shocks on there after the lift, they are not 5100s...just the hd bilsteins.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
dandyman is on a distinguished road
dandyman's Tacoma Gallery
thanks jhodge..the shocks are blue although they dont appear adjustable (assuming id see some marks on the shock housing)..if they were would front and rear be adjustable?
Old 11-11-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandyman View Post
thanks jhodge..the shocks are blue although they dont appear adjustable (assuming id see some marks on the shock housing)..if they were would front and rear be adjustable?
the adjustable bilsteins have a silver shaft...the stock ones are yellow w/ a blue boot. the adjustable part is multiple rings where the bottom of the spring can change positions on the shock shaft. the fronts are the only ones that are adjustable. the 5100s in the rear are for 0-2" of lift,but dont lift themselves
Old 11-11-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
3* is alot. Try going down to a 2 or 1.5* shim.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
CSULB socal
dunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig Sirois
dunkhi's Tacoma Gallery
i have this problem. my truck came with the billys and was wonder how this could be fixed. my billys are set at 0. but i have the toytec coilovers at 3.5, never happened until a couple weeks ago.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkhi View Post
i have this problem. my truck came with the billys and was wonder how this could be fixed. my billys are set at 0. but i have the toytec coilovers at 3.5, never happened until a couple weeks ago.
there is the issue....u have the the ULK maxed out. that'll happen to any CO that is topped as far as it'll go