Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Need advice on my plan for lifting my truck

Old 11-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery
Need advice on my plan for lifting my truck

Alright so I already have 5100s all around fronts are set at 1.75 and i still have stock coils and stock leafs.

For Christmas this is what I am asking for

-4in lift spindles(putting my billys back to the 0 setting)
-3in standard duty leaf springs

I know I need new rear struts to accommodate for the added lift but am I missing anything else?
any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
What size tires are you looking to run after the spindles?
I was just going to keep my 265/65/18s and see what they look like if that look bad i would go up
Old 11-07-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyeatlanta View Post
I was just going to keep my 265/65/18s and see what they look like if that look bad i would go up
IMO the 265's might look a bit small but other than that it sounds like a solid setup.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:59 AM   #6
do I need a diff drop or anything or should i be ok without
Old 11-08-2011, 06:00 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
do I need a diff drop or anything or should i be ok without
You don't have a front differential so no diff drop. You might need rear axle shims with a 3" rear set-up though.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:02 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
You don't have a front differential so no diff drop. You might need rear axle shims with a 3" rear set-up though.
wow yeah i dont know why i said diff drop but alright i was wonderig about shims
Old 11-08-2011, 07:04 AM   #9
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
wow yeah i dont know why i said diff drop but alright i was wonderig about shims
If you have a takeoff vibe after lifting then you could get some shims but I'd wait to see.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #10
tacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
tacomalex's Tacoma Gallery
if you're going to like 4 inches then I'd at least get some 33's
and rear struts? I thought the rear just hada shock and your leaf pack

someone help me here, now I'm confused
Old 11-08-2011, 07:09 AM   #11
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomalex View Post
if you're going to like 4 inches then I'd at least get some 33's
and rear struts? I thought the rear just hada shock and your leaf pack

someone help me here, now I'm confused
Pretty sure he meant shocks, no struts in the rear.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:12 AM   #12
tacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
tacomalex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
you never know, I could've been wrong this whole time. thanks for clearing that up for me!

also, if you already got 5100's you should be fine. unless you want a ton of travel
Old 11-08-2011, 07:18 AM   #13

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomalex View Post
you never know, I could've been wrong this whole time. thanks for clearing that up for me!

also, if you already got 5100's you should be fine. unless you want a ton of travel
The shorter 5100's will not do well with a 3" rear lift. He'd be in the middle of either 5125's or the longer 5100 series shocks. i'm not sure at what point you should get extended bump stops with longer shocks though. Eventually you'll get to the point where the shock will bottom out before you hit the bump stop.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:19 AM   #14
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I see the terms shocks and struts misused on here all the time.

To clear this up, shocks do not actually support any of the vehicle structure (i.e. if they are removed, the suspension geometry stays the same). A strut is actually a load-bearing portion of the suspension (if removed the suspension will fall apart).

As Mike noted above, tacomas do not have struts, front or rear.

http://www.differencebetween.net/obj...ks-and-struts/
Old 11-08-2011, 07:22 AM   #15

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
I see the terms shocks and struts misused on here all the time.

To clear this up, shocks do not actually support any of the vehicle structure (i.e. if they are removed, the suspension geometry stays the same). A strut is actually a load-bearing portion of the suspension (if removed the suspension will fall apart).

As Mike noted above, tacomas do not have struts, front or rear.

http://www.differencebetween.net/obj...ks-and-struts/
Well damn, now I'm confused... I always referred to the fronts as struts because they do carry the weight of the vehicle and they are required for the vehicle to drive. Now you say no struts, period?!?!
Old 11-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #16
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well damn, now I'm confused... I always referred to the fronts as struts because they do carry the weight of the vehicle and they are required for the vehicle to drive. Now you say no struts, period?!?!
Struts replace the UCA's and upper ball joints, and also do the job of shocks by dampening.

If you remove the front shocks on the tacoma, while it would drop the suspension (due to it being a coil-over setup), the actual suspension still functions as one unit, and articulates the same way it would without a shocks. If the vehicle had a front strut setup, the spindle would no longer be connected to anything at all on the top.

It's not really the shocks that carry the weight on the front of the tacoma, it's the springs. On a coil-over setup though, the spring seat is on the shock itsself, so it is a little confusing.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:31 AM   #17
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Shocks

Struts

Note the lack of the UCA on the strut setup. The strut itsself is the upper articulation point.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:33 AM   #18

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Struts replace the UCA's and upper ball joints, and also do the job of shocks by dampening.

If you remove the front shocks on the tacoma, while it would drop the suspension (due to it being a coil-over setup), the actual suspension still functions as one unit, and articulates the same way it would without a shocks. If the vehicle had a front strut setup, the spindle would no longer be connected to anything at all on the top.

It's not really the shocks that carry the weight on the front of the tacoma, it's the springs. On a coil-over setup though, the spring seat is on the shock itsself, so it is a little confusing.
I see what you're saying now. I had an old ATV that had the strut suspension, no UCA. Not going to promise I won't slip and refer to our front suspension set-up as a strut but thanks for clearing up the difference
Old 11-08-2011, 07:41 AM   #19
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Do spindle lifts need extended brake lines?
Old 11-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #20
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Do spindle lifts need extended brake lines?
Yes, the link the OP posted includes them in the kit.