Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Is there a wrong way to install a coil spring?

Old 11-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
GM Convert
Brianstemm is a glorious beacon of lightBrianstemm is a glorious beacon of lightBrianstemm is a glorious beacon of lightBrianstemm is a glorious beacon of lightBrianstemm is a glorious beacon of lightBrianstemm is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Bryan
Brianstemm's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a wrong way to install a coil spring?

I installed my lift this weekend and noticed I faced the coils in two different directions. Is there a proper way to install a coil spring? It rides fine, I wouldn't have noticed it if it didn't look a little weird. Thanks.

The one in question.....

Old 11-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
^^ I no longer have a PreRunner
99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
99PreRunner.'s Tacoma Gallery
The flat top of the coil goes up. That one is upside down.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #6
GM Convert
Brianstemm is a glorious beacon of lightBrianstemm is a glorious beacon of lightBrianstemm is a glorious beacon of lightBrianstemm is a glorious beacon of lightBrianstemm is a glorious beacon of lightBrianstemm is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianstemm View Post
I installed my lift this weekend and noticed I faced the coils in two different directions. Is there a proper way to install a coil spring? It rides fine, I wouldn't have noticed it if it didn't look a little weird. Thanks.

The one in question.....

Ok, to clarify.... I have a .25" spacer on passenger side and a .5" spacer on the driver side which is why you see the spacer and longer bolts in the second pic. What I was wondering is, where the coil ends, should it be facing inward like the first pic or outward like the second pic? Does this affect the operation of the coil? Should I spin it? Other than that they are mounted identically. Flat end up.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
GM Convert

Thanks ThreeMan, I guess I'm alright? The passenger side just looks neater because the coil ends towards the back. But the driver side ends facing out....The diagram of the shock in your link looks just like my driver side. The coil end faces out. I'm assuming there is no proper orientation to which direction the coil faces.