Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

CV wear on 3in?

Old 11-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up CV wear on 3in?

Hi guys, Im a VERY proud new Taco owner, just picked up an 05 TRD Sport 4x4 6 speed on Sunday, Indigo Ink Pearl color. I have been browsing the suspension section all weekend deciding on a lift. After researching, I decided I will go no higher than 3inches. I was set on the ProComp with a DD and some UCAs after reading the ProComp thread and seeing how happy the guys were with it. Then decided to save a little extra cash and go for the OME or the Ulitimate Lift after seeing some other threads saying how much better they are. Now I know this is probably going to start reading like a very played out and overposted thread but bear with me. I know that the 3inch lift is going to wear down my CVs after reading that everywhere, thats why I wanted the DD. Then I read another thread last night saying the DD does nothing for the CVs at a three inch lift. I personally would rather not wear them down prematurly. So I have been reconsidering going with a Bilstien 2 inch lift with a DD. From what I have collected, that setup should not stress the CVs at all. So my question is, if I do go with a 3in, how long will my CVs last before I have to replace them? Im sure this info is somewhere but I did not come across it and the answers I did come across vary in a large range. If they are going to go out quick, I will just settle with a 2in and a DD, if they last a while, Ill go the full three. Personally I dont think the extra inch will make much of a difference. Any input is appreciated and I thank you in advance. You guys here seem much more accepting and patient with old posts than in other forums im regestered in(e.g Stuntride, those guys tear newbs up). Thanks again.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
If you would rather not wear them down then don't lift. That is the only real way to prolong their life. More than likely you will be fine with a 3 inch lift. You might run into front diff bearing issues though. Some trucks have them and some don't.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
You'll be fine CV wise. You don't need the DD on the second gen as the difference is minuscule in angle.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
FYI , if you go with the OME kit , I got 2 1/2" with 885 coils , no spacer .

I didn't install the diff drop , as the concensus is that with 2nd Gens it doesn't really do anything .
Old 11-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Allllriighhtt Then, well I guess that is about as much reassurance as I need, I will go with the 3in then, the 2.5 OME doesnt sound bad. I cant expect to go trailing and not have anything wear out or break eventually, that is the mind state that I was stuck in and need to accept the reality of the sport, Ill just deal with any CV problems when and if they come up. Thanks guys.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:49 AM   #6
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
You'll be good man! Just get some quality coilovers and keep them around 2.5"! That'll give you all the benefits you need!
Old 11-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #7

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
You'll be good man! Just get some quality coilovers and keep them around 2.5"! That'll give you all the benefits you need!
Awesome, thanks man, can't wait to get it