Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

2 Leaf Springs?!

Old 11-10-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
petezny will become famous soon enough
Name: Pete
petezny's Tacoma Gallery
2 Leaf Springs?!

I have two leaf rear springs is that normal?

2011 Taco standard cab, 4wd, 4 cyl, auto.

I have been lurking around the suspension forum reading everything I can and complaining about my tacos inability to carry anything heavy without the springs going in an reverse arch. I researched every load booster (bags, aal, assist springs etc) and finally decided decided on an add a leaf from Toytec. The only thing I needed to check before I ordered was if I had a three leaf or four leaf spring pack. So imagine my surprise when I went under the truck and saw that I have only two leafs in each spring! Is this normal? Are they really serious with this spring, no wonder this truck can't carry a serious load. So the question is do certain models like mine have only a two leaf spring while others have three or four or is something wrong here?
Old 11-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #2
Dustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Dustyroades's Tacoma Gallery
It should be 2 leaves with a thicker overload on the bottom. If there is no overload you have some frankenstein springs.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:25 AM   #3
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
2 leafs plus the overload is the 3 leaf or US stock pack

3 leafs plus the overload is the 4 leaf ( TSB ) or Canadian stock pack
Old 11-11-2011, 12:25 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Look closely. You will have either 3 or 4. Include all the springs.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
petezny's Tacoma Gallery
Ok thanks guys I wasn't counting the overload, I never have in the past. So then the normal spring pack is only two load carrying leafs then the overload. All the pics I have seen here and at Toytec have shown 3 load carrying leafs plus the overload so those were the 4 leaf TSB springs then?
Thanks again unfortunately the TSB doesn't cover my truck, standard cab, so I guess my only path is the add a leaf.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
petezny's Tacoma Gallery
As a quick post script at the store today I peaked under some other late model Tacos to see what they had. They were all Access cabs and all had the same spring pack I have in my standard cab. One had a cap on and was riding low in the rear, guess he doesn't know about the TSB. I should have just looked under some other trucks in advance and have skipped this whole thread.

Thanks again
Old 01-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
Moshenek is on a distinguished road

Name: Michael
Moshenek's Tacoma Gallery
So if my truck has 4 leafs total I'm either missing the TSB or the AAL that was supposed to be installed before I purchased the truck. Is there anyway to tell which is which? What are the dems for the TSB?
Old 01-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
Moshenek is on a distinguished road

Name: Michael
Moshenek's Tacoma Gallery
Or could I simply add another AAL either way and be done with it? My truck is nearly level if not raking back
Old 01-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshenek View Post
So if my truck has 4 leafs total I'm either missing the TSB or the AAL that was supposed to be installed before I purchased the truck. Is there anyway to tell which is which? What are the dems for the TSB?
1. Start your own thread. This thread belongs to Petezny.
2. Work on your reading comprehension.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by petezny View Post
Ok thanks guys I wasn't counting the overload, I never have in the past. So then the normal spring pack is only two load carrying leafs then the overload.
Yes, 2+1 configuration on US 2nd gen Tacos. Been going on since the beginning because Toyota determined that most of us haul "air".

Quote:
All the pics I have seen here and at Toytec have shown 3 load carrying leafs plus the overload so those were the 4 leaf TSB springs then?
They could be TSB or aftermarket.

Quote:
Thanks again unfortunately the TSB doesn't cover my truck, standard cab, so I guess my only path is the add a leaf.
Check your VIN against the TSB.
Some have been successful with the TSB for single cabs.