Notices

Do air bags affect day to day driving?

Old 11-11-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
saugus is on a distinguished road
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Do air bags affect day to day driving?

I am considering these:

http://www.**************.com/index....6&currency=USD

Will they make no load trips ride different. Do I leave them inflated all the time?
Old 11-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by saugus View Post
I am considering these:

http://www.**************.com/index....6&currency=USD

Will they make no load trips ride different. Do I leave them inflated all the time?
Had Ride Rites on my 2005 DC... to stop the bottoming out (harsh ride TSB)... Worked awesome.

Keep at 15 psi for empty to light loads... rides just like stock, but no bottoming from the too soft leaf springs.

Inflate to 25-45 psi depending on degree of load and height of rear end desired (yes, it raises the back)... Never had to add more. There is a danger to putting more than you need in (they can take up to 100 psi) that the axle can crack, per Toyota Tech.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
i have them and run about 10lbs in them all the time and inflate as needed (i keep a bicycle tire pump in the truck) its a little stiff over 10psi but no bottoming out...

also that is the best deal you will find on new firestone bags by about $30+
Old 11-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks I am going to pull the trigger on these or the timbrens today. These are $250 with the coupon and the timbrens are $190. Right now I am leaning toward bags.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

depends on what you need them for.

timbrens are solid too and may make more sense for some people.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
StandupTaco is on a distinguished road
StandupTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I never liked the Timbrens as they hit hard, really hard when the truck was empty and even harder when I have 2 kids in the rear seat. The springs are too soft that with the small gap between the chassis and the timbrens any bump in the road will cause them to hit. There isn't a soft lead in With the Timbrens and I feel are not suited to the Tacoma unless it's loaded all the time. If you have any roads you travel with any humps or uneven surfaces I'd go with the Air Bags...In fact that's why I 'm searching now to find a Air Bag solution....

My 2 cents!
Old 11-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #7
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandupTaco View Post
I never liked the Timbrens as they hit hard, really hard when the truck was empty and even harder when I have 2 kids in the rear seat. The springs are too soft that with the small gap between the chassis and the timbrens any bump in the road will cause them to hit. There isn't a soft lead in With the Timbrens and I feel are not suited to the Tacoma unless it's loaded all the time. If you have any roads you travel with any humps or uneven surfaces I'd go with the Air Bags...In fact that's why I 'm searching now to find a Air Bag solution....

My 2 cents!
Yeah I live in So Cal and the roads are falling apart. I thumped all the way along the 210 freeway for 50 miles today. Maybe the air bags are the right choice.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Oh hell, I'm just gonna get the timbrens and swap them out from time to time if the road ride is too rough. My loading needs won't be too often and I am worried about the bags falling apart one day.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
I have had my firestones on my truck for a few months now, I usually run them at around 10-15 psi unloaded and have gone up to 50 for loads of rock and ran 50 for about 4500-5000lbs of trenching machine and trailer last week. Absolutely love them. Too much psi unloaded will make the ass end of the truck bounce quite a bit so definitely air down with no load. I ran dunes a few weeks ago and was concerned about extending the shocks and tearing the bags, i didn't have a problem but i am going to add straps to the axles to keep from ripping them apart. I mounted the air lines through the pin connector plate under the rear bumper and zip tied the lines to the frame up and out of the way of the exhaust pipes and the spare tire, took me about and hour and a half from start to finish.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by saugus View Post
Oh hell, I'm just gonna get the timbrens and swap them out from time to time if the road ride is too rough. My loading needs won't be too often and I am worried about the bags falling apart one day.
i dont think that they are easy to "swap out" from time to time
Old 11-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #11
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
I have had my firestones on my truck for a few months now, I usually run them at around 10-15 psi unloaded and have gone up to 50 for loads of rock and ran 50 for about 4500-5000lbs of trenching machine and trailer last week. Absolutely love them. Too much psi unloaded will make the ass end of the truck bounce quite a bit so definitely air down with no load. I ran dunes a few weeks ago and was concerned about extending the shocks and tearing the bags, i didn't have a problem but i am going to add straps to the axles to keep from ripping them apart. I mounted the air lines through the pin connector plate under the rear bumper and zip tied the lines to the frame up and out of the way of the exhaust pipes and the spare tire, took me about and hour and a half from start to finish.
so these do work on lifted trucks?is there any special plate to raise or lower them for a lift?
Old 11-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #12
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I am also interested in this, gonna take a cross contry trip with the back of my truck loaded down. The back of my truck is gonna sagging bad. Already have a compessor, do these replace the shocks?
Old 11-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #13
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns Taco View Post
I am also interested in this, gonna take a cross contry trip with the back of my truck loaded down. The back of my truck is gonna sagging bad. Already have a compessor, do these replace the shocks?
they are in addition to the shocks.they mount were the bump stops are now.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pataco View Post
so these do work on lifted trucks?is there any special plate to raise or lower them for a lift?
i think that they sell a kit for adapting to lifted trucks
Old 11-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #15
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
They are really called 'Air Springs' as they do the job the springs are failing to do. Shocks control the bounce by 'slowing' it down... I did change to 5100s as well as the air bags on my '05. They were great.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #16
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns Taco View Post
They will keep the truck from sagging and bottoming out, they help the leaf springs, they don't replace the shocks they mount where the bumpstops are.

Oh FYI, you can take a sawzall to the metal mount plates of the bumpstops and get them out without undoing the U bolts
Old 11-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #17
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
i think that they sell a kit for adapting to lifted trucks
gotcha,thanks