Notices

Looking for some advice

Old 11-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
Curious George is on a distinguished road
Name: George
Curious George's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for some advice

Hello,

I recently purchased my first truck, and have just now begun to enjoy driving off-road for the first time. Iíve met two other couples that have allowed me to tag along with their group on several off-road, weekend-long trips during the past couple months, and now I am very interested in improving the off-road capability of my truck.

My new friends both drive Jeep Cherokees, and while they speak very highly of my Tacoma, I think the experts on this Website may be better able to help me out and offer advice.

Iíve spent some time reading about suspension upgrades on this site. However, while Iím beginning to get a better understanding of the basics, Iím still a total beginner (as will be apparent by my questions). And, to make matters worse, Iíve never worked on cars and Iíve never been mechanically inclined (Iím an accountant, eek).

Here is what Iím hoping to accomplish, and in this order:

- Iím looking to improve the suspension of the truck. (Unless theyíre one in the same, Iím not necessarily looking to significantly increase the ride height of the truck.)
- Allow for a significant amount of towing time. (In the future, I hope to tow a small fiberglass trailer up to ten times per year. The tongue weight of the trailer should not exceed 220 pounds.)
- If possible, Iíd like to retain the truckís ability to drive nicely at highway speeds. (Iíve read some posts expressing concern or issues with vibration or grinding sounds arising after altering the suspension of their truck?)
- Currently, I donít plan to install a new front bumper or a winch.

Is this possible, or am I being unrealistic?

Also, for me right now, quality and performance are more important than price.

Any suggestions?

I have a second generation Tacoma, TRD Off-Road (with towing package) in an Access Cab and in a six cylinder.

I apologize for such a lengthy post, and thank you for your time,

George
Old 11-11-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Bilistein 5100's for shocks.
As for the vibration just add some more washers to the axle area or straight axle it.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
You want new front bumper with winch your going to need some ome 886. Those can handle the weight of the new bumper and winch. Good idea to replace the shocked on all 4 corners. You can get some 5100 or some ome.

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
Old 11-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious George View Post
Hello,
Iíve never worked on cars and Iíve never been mechanically inclined (Iím an accountant, eek). (me neither. I'm a retarded baby seal with a wrench

Here is what Iím hoping to accomplish, and in this order:

Iím looking to improve the suspension of the truck. (Unless theyíre one in the same, Iím not necessarily looking to significantly increase the ride height of the truck.)
Try taking a look into coilovers, (King, Icon, fox, sway-a-way. They are height adjustable to 3" but you dont have to use them to lift. They will provide the best ride, significantly improved over stock. You can also look into switching out the rear shocks for aftermarket ones that are valved better than stock. All of the companies that make those coilovers make rear shocks as well.

Allow for a significant amount of towing time. (In the future, I hope to tow a small fiberglass trailer up to ten times per year. The tongue weight of the trailer should not exceed 220 pounds.) a popular option is to look at airbags for the rear leaf pack. Keeping stock height, you inflate them under heavy loads to keep normal driving characteristics. If you look into lifts, there are aftermarket leaf packs made specifically for hauling loads

If possible, Iíd like to retain the truckís ability to drive nicely at highway speeds. (Iíve read some posts expressing concern or issues with vibration or grinding sounds arising after altering the suspension of their truck?) This usually happens with the bigger lifts. The usual vibes happen because of the inability of stock UCA's to maintain a good alignment after the lift. Grabbing some UCA's (DSM, camburg, total chaos) would take care of that though.

Is this possible, or am I being unrealistic?

info added
Old 11-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
Curious George is on a distinguished road
Name: George
Curious George's Tacoma Gallery
This is fantastic information. Thank you all, and I appreciate your expertise and the time you took to post.

George