LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Grinding noise after lift

Old 11-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
The Messiah
tacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomatrd99's Tacoma Gallery
Grinding noise after lift

Guys I put an aal in and put the 5100's up to 2.5 and now it pulls to the left (think this may be the wheels an tires cause I just had it aligned to spec). I also have and grinding noise when I am up above 60 and let off the gas. Noise goes awAy when it drops back down below 50 or 60. Any one have this? Put in axle shims and it helped with vibes but I still have these issues. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
seems its a 50/50 chance to get the vibes.i have them (30 to 40 mph)and tried everything to get rid of them.now have 40,000+ on it since the lift with no problems.its frustrating to take a very smooth running truck and get the vibes but i dont hardly notice it now.good luck
Old 11-14-2011, 05:55 AM   #4
The Messiah
tacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Had the aligent done so it's not that and it was done by a shop that's managed by one of our members so I know its right. Probably going back to stock. Too many issues and not enough reward IMO.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatrd99 View Post
Had the aligent done so it's not that and it was done by a shop that's managed by one of our members so I know its right. Probably going back to stock. Too many issues and not enough reward IMO.
Did to you get UCA's? Without those, it's not going to be perfect... and quite honestly, you have to expect that when you change a stock suspension, its not going to be "stock" anymore... Everyone who lifts has at least one new shimmy, shake, or vibe.... It's just part of the game.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:33 AM   #6
The Messiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
Did to you get UCA's? Without those, it's not going to be perfect... and quite honestly, you have to expect that when you change a stock suspension, its not going to be "stock" anymore... Everyone who lifts has at least one new shimmy, shake, or vibe.... It's just part of the game.
Haven't done the ucas. I definitely expected the vibes but the grinding noise is a little concerning. Don't want to have to replace the driveshaft or rear end in a year.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:18 AM   #7
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatrd99 View Post
Haven't done the ucas. I definitely expected the vibes but the grinding noise is a little concerning. Don't want to have to replace the driveshaft or rear end in a year.
Can you tell if the noise is coming from the front or back?
Old 11-15-2011, 06:22 AM   #8
The Messiah

It sounds like it is coming from right behind the cab. Being it's a regular cab I suspect its either the slip yoke or the angle of the front ujoint. The front joint doesnt look it's at a bad angle though. Not sure if not having a carrier bearing is helping or hurting in this case. Lol
Old 11-19-2011, 07:46 AM   #10
The Messiah

That may help you out being it's essentially cutting your driveline in half. Unfortunately (or fortunately, I'm not really sure) the regular cabs don't have a carrier bearing so I don't have that option. Good luck.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:54 AM   #11
Come and take them.
bendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
bendbolden's Tacoma Gallery
OP I have the same exact problem. I am pretty sure it is coming from the front U-Joint. I can feel it through my gas pedal sometime. I believe the reason it happens when you let off the gas is because the nose is diving down changing the angle. I can tap the gas on mine at around that speed and it will do it. I sounds bad but I read someone else on here having that problem(reg cab) and the dealer told him there was nothing he could do. I believe it has something to do with the short frame of the reg cabs.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:57 AM   #12
Come and take them.
bendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Also I removed my sway bar but with it lifted that high with stock UCA's I noticed it will kind of steer whichever way the road or the pothole you hit is. I believe even a stock vehicle does this but it's not nearly as noticeable. Like others have said that's the price you pay for leaving stock. Also you said yours sounds like from behind the cab?? I guess it could be the rear U-Joint on yours.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #13
The Messiah

Mine sounds like it's right beneath the seat (that should be where the transfer case meets the driveshaft). I meant to take a look at it this weekend but just didn't get to it.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #15
The Messiah

Ok, so here's an update. Today I took the AAL off and the vibes and grinding noise went away. What's really wierd is that my front Bilsteins are still at 2.5 but I'm sitting just about perfectly level according to my 4' level I placed on the bedrail of the truck.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:51 AM   #16
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
The grinding noise you here is a normal/common occurance on lifted reg cabs. I started a thread on it a couple years ago. Once your speed drops below about 50, it goes away during deceleration or coasting in gear (engine braking).

Taking the driveline out and flipping it end to end suppsoidly makes the noise go away. Either it goes away or it moves the noise far enough behind the cab that you can't hear it anymore.

I've had the noise for 46,000 miles and have no plans to do anything about it.

The noise went away with the AAL removed because the angle went back to stock. If you throw a few hundred pounds of weight with your AAL in, the noise should also go away, as the weight puts it back to stock rear height.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:28 AM   #17
Come and take them.

I was just about to say that. I loaded mine down yesterday and it almost went away. I will have to look at flipping the driveline.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:48 AM   #18
01Yota is on a distinguished road

Name: Jonathan
01Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Do you still get the bodies if you install a full kit like new leafs in the back not a aal
Old 12-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #19
01Yota is on a distinguished road

Name: Jonathan
01Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Not bodies sorry sounds damn predict text
Old 12-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Yota View Post
Not bodies sorry sounds damn predict text
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Yota View Post
Do you still get the bodies if you install a full kit like new leafs in the back not a aal
wut