Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Snapping, popping sound after lift

Old 11-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
Bogg is on a distinguished road
Bogg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Bogg
Snapping, popping sound after lift

I know this question had come up many times, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. I have checked all my bolts/nuts and everything is tight. I get a snapping popping sound at full lock turning left. Also, there is a mild vibration around 60km/h. I don't have a diff drop installed as many have stated it won't do anything for my 2nd gen. CV boots are fine, no tears or rips. But from what I've read it seems that this sound is pointing at the CVs. I have noticed that the sway bar end link bushings have been compromised. Could the mild vibes and snapping sound be due to the sway bar? There was a post about the LCA nuts being lose. Could they be causing this sound and vibe? I have taken my truck to a shop and they say my CV angles are fine, tie rods are fine. I don't have my alignment done yet as I am waiting to install tires first. Any info and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
What do you mean by compromised? Try removing the sway bar and see if it stops (way better ride by the way without it). Can you get under the truck and have someone turn the wheels so you can see where it's coming from? Could be your lower ball joints too!
Old 11-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
My 93 Toyota Pickup does that same thing, never got mine checked out though so lets see what these fellas think it is, maybe Ill fix it too.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
Bogg's Tacoma Gallery
When we were doing the lift, my buddy's dad was prying on the sway bar end links. One or perhaps more of the sway bar end links boots were squished and the grease flew out. I noticed on the undamaged ones the boots are ballooned up/filled with grease. The ones that were damaged are flat as a pancake. Just wondering if the sway bar could be the cause of my popping sound when I turn left? My truck has only 40,000km on it. I barely drive it except on weekends for the most part. And I haven't really taken it out wheeling as the stock tires suck and wanted to get armor on the truck first.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
That's prob it. Just un-bolt it and drive a little and see if it's gone. You'll be fine leaving it hanging on the skid plate as long as your carefull. Or just unbolt the skid too and it'll slide right out! Those shocks/coils are a lot firmer than stock and will be fine without the sway bar!
Old 11-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben C View Post
When we were doing the lift, my buddy's dad was prying on the sway bar end links. One or perhaps more of the sway bar end links boots were squished and the grease flew out. I noticed on the undamaged ones the boots are ballooned up/filled with grease. The ones that were damaged are flat as a pancake. Just wondering if the sway bar could be the cause of my popping sound when I turn left? My truck has only 40,000km on it. I barely drive it except on weekends for the most part. And I haven't really taken it out wheeling as the stock tires suck and wanted to get armor on the truck first.
You left this important detail out of the original post!

Those boots are fragile. I mangled one while installing my lift, too. Coincidentally the swaybar links go through their full misalignment range when you steer, so it's probably the culprit.

Don't bother unbolting the links. Either remove the swaybar completely off the truck or just drive as-is until you get new links. They are under $30 each at AutoPartsWay.Ca: http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartList..../pagenum1/tabS. Dealer parts counter will want $250 each. I got All-Pro heavy-duty ones: https://www.allprooffroad.com/05taco...suspension/268
Old 11-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
Bogg's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks KenLyns and Sublime for your input. Just finished removing sway bar and went for a test drive. Knock on wood, there is not more snapping/knocking sounds when turning in either direction. Still have a bit of a vibe but I think that's due to the fact I don't have my alignment yet.

Sunner...if you are having the same issues I would recommend removing the sway bar. It fixed my issues anyways.

Thanks again guys for your your input and advice. It's people like you that make this site worth coming to
Old 11-13-2011, 03:39 PM   #8

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Glad we could help buddy!
Old 11-15-2011, 04:31 AM   #9
Banned
06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06SR5canada's Tacoma Gallery
Lets also mention the sway bars are there for a reason
Youll roll 100x easier without them in emergency manuevers
Old 11-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #10
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Get the relocate kit for the sway bar, inexpensive and you get to keep the stability it provides.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:20 AM   #11
GatorComa has a spectacular aura aboutGatorComa has a spectacular aura aboutGatorComa has a spectacular aura about

Name: Robby
GatorComa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben C View Post
I know this question had come up many times, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. I have checked all my bolts/nuts and everything is tight. I get a snapping popping sound at full lock turning left. Also, there is a mild vibration around 60km/h. I don't have a diff drop installed as many have stated it won't do anything for my 2nd gen. CV boots are fine, no tears or rips. But from what I've read it seems that this sound is pointing at the CVs. I have noticed that the sway bar end link bushings have been compromised. Could the mild vibes and snapping sound be due to the sway bar? There was a post about the LCA nuts being lose. Could they be causing this sound and vibe? I have taken my truck to a shop and they say my CV angles are fine, tie rods are fine. I don't have my alignment done yet as I am waiting to install tires first. Any info and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
So you still have stock tires on your truck, then?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #12
BlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement:
Name: James
BlueSteel's Tacoma Gallery
I have had the same popping and clicking when turning coming from my driverside front for a while. I suspected it was my swaybar and was going to remove it, but never got around to it. I need to go ahead and do it now, just a little worried about how it will drive on the freeway. I have the Toytec Ultimate Kit and originally thought that I didn't tighten something down enough on the UCA or CO's.

Good Info!
Old 11-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #13
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
Get the relocate kit for the sway bar, inexpensive and you get to keep the stability it provides.
The Icons come with the relocate plates and hardware. The OP had at least one sway bar link joint boot broken and the grease had leaked out, hence the noise.

As for the swaybar's necessity, the topic has been beaten to death. Swerving can cause a swaybar-less truck to rollover.

Hilux:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZF8N9NItHI

Tacoma (skip to 0:50):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8el61-Nskd4
Old 11-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #14

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Thats with the soft stock suspension. There's no doubt the stiffer aftermarket suspension will help firm up turns and what not but a move like that should never be done in a truck anyways. You just have to change your driving habits and slow down before you do anything. If you spend 99% of your time on road and hardly take it offroad, keeping it on may be the best option.........however, its way smoother with it off!
Old 11-15-2011, 11:15 PM   #15
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Thats with the soft stock suspension. There's no doubt the stiffer aftermarket suspension will help firm up turns and what not but a move like that should never be done in a truck anyways. You just have to change your driving habits and slow down before you do anything. If you spend 99% of your time on road and hardly take it offroad, keeping it on may be the best option.........however, its way smoother with it off!
sorry i couldn't help it but...that's what she said say you take your sway bar off and just so happen to roll your truck, will the insurance company tell me I am shit outta luck?
Old 11-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #16
Zombie Killer!
705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dean
705 Taco's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=KenLyns;4038356]The Icons come with the relocate plates and hardware. The OP had at least one sway bar link joint boot broken and the grease had leaked out, hence the noise.

As for the swaybar's necessity, the topic has been beaten to death. Swerving can cause a swaybar-less truck to rollover.

Hilux:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZF8N9NItHI

Tacoma (skip to 0:50):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8el61-Nskd4[/QUOTE]

Hilux = UGLY! I hope we never have to deal with a truck that stupid looking over here.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #17
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^ According to Pickuptrucks.Com, the world's second largest market for pickup trucks is Thailand. No doubt Toyota's focus group had a couple of ladyboys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Unless you go with 800-lb/in springs (wholly unrealistic), aftermarket coils will not increase roll stiffness enough to offset swaybar removal. A long-travel setup that increase track by 8" plus stiffer springs, maybe. Unless you keep off the highway, leave the swaybar on.

It would be nice to have KDSS optional on the TRD OR, or at least a manual swaybar disconnect like the Wrangler Rubicon or Ram Power Wagon.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #18
Zombie Killer!
705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed705 Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dean
705 Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
^ According to Pickuptrucks.Com, the world's second largest market for pickup trucks is Thailand. No doubt Toyota's focus group had a couple of ladyboys.
Ha Ha. I don't think even the ladyboys would drive that thing. If that's the future of Toyota trucks I won't be buying another Toyota. It makes the Honda Ridgeline look manly.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #19
Bogg's Tacoma Gallery
Yes...still have stock tires and rims on truck. Painted Sport rims about 2-3 weeks back now. Will have to get some new shoes soon as stock tires that came with truck are pure garbage! Still undecided on tires for now. Thinking Duratracs or KM2s. As for the sway, will prob end up getting some beefier end links from All Pro. So far without sway bar truck has a little bit more body roll in turns.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #20
Viejon
markmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Mark
markmatters's Tacoma Gallery
Not wanting to jack the thread, but I don't want to get yelled at for starting another thread. like OP, i searched and couldn't find a definite answer. I don't want to remove my sway bar and 'hide' the problem like other members have stated in other posts..here's what i've got: I installed bilstein 5100 with the 2.5 inch setting. It's made this popping sound..and i want to say i'm 75% sure it's coming from the spring...sounds like something is rubbing or there's too much pressure and it's letting go of some and just pops...the only time i notice this sound is when i back out from my driveway...turning the steering wheel all the way to the right...when i put it in drive, i start creeping forward and the wheels start straightening out...this is when this clunk/pop noise thing takes place...also, i notice a sound when i brake. Shop told me i need to brake pads and wondering if maybe the brake pads are moving? anyway, maybe this sound and the op's is related. thanks!