Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

REAR: Springs ~VS~ Shocks

Old 11-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
Nonfatwater7 is on a distinguished road

Nonfatwater7's Tacoma Gallery
REAR: Springs ~VS~ Shocks

I am trying to soften up the ride in the rear to match my new front 5100's with eibachs. The rear is pretty harsh. I currently have no TSB and am on a block lift. So would new shocks soften it up enough or are new springs the better buy?

Basically, which one affects ride quality more? Springs or shocks?

Further, would would you recommend for either?
Old 11-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonfatwater7 View Post
I am trying to soften up the ride in the rear to match my new front 5100's with eibachs. The rear is pretty harsh. I currently have no TSB and am on a block lift. So would new shocks soften it up enough or are new springs the better buy?

It's the combination of the springs and shocks that determines the ride. If the shocks aren't valved right for the particular spring rate, then they will do a poor job of dampening the springs and will lead to a harsh ride.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

No TSB and you think it rear rides stiff compared to Eibachs in the front?!?!

Springs affect how hard a bump is absorbed and the shocks control the ride. If you go to an aftermarket shock, it will help make the ride seem more controlled but it won't soften it up any. You also won't find a softer leaf pack than the non-TSB leafs unless you with a long travel leaf setup.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
No TSB and you think it rear rides stiff compared to Eibachs in the front?!?!

Springs affect how hard a bump is absorbed and the shocks control the ride. If you go to an aftermarket shock, it will help make the ride seem more controlled but it won't soften it up any. You also won't find a softer leaf pack than the non-TSB leafs unless you with a long travel leaf setup.
Yeah I'm thinking that what he's feeling isn't really the rear being "stiff" (as in a high spring rate) because if anything the rears on these trucks are too soft.

I'm thinking new shocks will help the situation if you don't like how the rear rides.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Yeah I'm thinking that what he's feeling isn't really the rear being "stiff" (as in a high spring rate) because if anything the rears on these trucks are too soft.

I'm thinking new shocks will help the situation if you don't like how the rear rides.
Gotcha. If that's the case, 5100's in the rear actually make the rear ride a lot better. It doesn't bounce and has a very controlled feeling.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #6

yeah mine bounces and gets axle hop a lot...
but I had a spacer lift in the front before, so to clarify, the eibachs and 5100's are soooo much better. I actually love hitting potholes now lol
Old 11-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #7

I am thinking about 5100's, 5150's, or 5160's in the rear now...
Old 11-14-2011, 05:15 AM   #8

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yeah mine bounces and gets axle hop a lot...
but I had a spacer lift in the front before, so to clarify, the eibachs and 5100's are soooo much better. I actually love hitting potholes now lol
Lose the lift block, that's probably causing a lot of the axle hop since your leaf springs are wrapping when you hit the gas. An AAL will actually help but will not eliminate axle wrap. Heavier shocks like the 5100's will help the bounce.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #9

Hmmm
Well the block nets 2" of lift for me. Is there an aal that can do that? Also, what if i kept the block but did that helper spring mod to reduce axle wrap?
Old 11-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
Interweb wheeler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
go to toytec

get rid of the block, its just gunna wear out ur leaf pack prematurely

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

BTW ur details say 3" lift.........
He had a spacer lift first
Old 11-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #11

^what he said

I haven't updated that, I literally just threw in 5100's with eibach coils like two days ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
go to toytec

get rid of the block, its just gunna wear out ur leaf pack prematurely

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

BTW ur details say 3" lift.........
Old 11-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #12
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say get some AAL's and get rid of the blocks. I might be selling my rear 5100's here pretty soon.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #13

Keep me posted on the sale, I probably won't look to buy for at least another week or two anyway. I will do some research about the aal and what not and see what I come up with and post back in here for further scrutinizing and opinions so I can get this done right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
I'd say get some AAL's and get rid of the blocks. I might be selling my rear 5100's here pretty soon.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #14

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Keep me posted on the sale, I probably won't look to buy for at least another week or two anyway. I will do some research about the aal and what not and see what I come up with and post back in here for further scrutinizing and opinions so I can get this done right.
If you're considering AAL's, I'd seriously consider the 1.5" 3-leaf progressive AAL made by Icon or Wheelers. You can keep your overload leaf in place and net 2" of lift and it rides great!
Old 11-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #15
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Okay I will. Still need to do some research on used prices and shipping costs.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #16

Whats the overload leaf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
If you're considering AAL's, I'd seriously consider the 1.5" 3-leaf progressive AAL made by Icon or Wheelers. You can keep your overload leaf in place and net 2" of lift and it rides great!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #17
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Whats the overload leaf?
Is the short one on the bottom of your pack that is only needed when hauling heavy loads.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Is the short one on the bottom of your pack that is only needed when hauling heavy loads.
Is it pre-TSB?
Old 11-15-2011, 05:44 AM   #19
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is it pre-TSB?
I'm not sure what you mean by that.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:56 AM   #20

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is it pre-TSB?
The overload leaf exists on both the TSB and non-TSB leaf packs. In the non-TSB leaf pack there are 2 thin leafs and a thick bottom leaf, in the TSB leaf pack there are 3 thin leafs and the thick bottom leaf. The thinner leafs support the truck when just driving around and is, for all intents and purposes, your active suspension most of the time. When you put a heavy load in the bed or tow a trailer, those thin leafs flatten out until they rest on the thick overload leaf. This prevents the leafs from inverting and riding on the bump stops.