1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just undecided rcd vs toytec what would u do?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Bee22971, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Nov 13, 2011 at 10:11 PM
    Bee22971

Bee22971 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garth
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD
    King 2.5 C/O, DSM UCAs, all pro leafs, and AllPro Sliders
    I appoligise up front but after reading hundreds of threads on the 3" toytec and the 4.5" rcd, im just lost on which is better 4 me. I'm in a similar boat as most of these guys. I own a 2011 TRD OR DC and I'm debating btw the toytec ultimate lift & the rcd 4.5" lift. My truck is only a weekend driver and I use it to haul my sail boat or kayaks, get to a secluded cabin in Tahoe, and the occasional mtb trip to the woods. That being said I do a lot of highway driving to get to these places. I'm not planning on any hardcore crawling or crazy stunts (destroyed my jeep doing that). Being new to the taco world I'm looking for some solid guidance. I've seen hundreds of threads talking about these 2 lifts and a lot of pics. I pay a lot attention to the cv boot angles and the trimming needed for 285/70R16 or 17s. I do see the benefits of a drop bracket lift but am concerned about cutting the cross bar. But the bottomlone is this...

Knowing I'm only using this taco to haul stuff through snow, ice, mud, sand, and highway driving which lift fits my needs?

2. Nov 14, 2011 at 11:30 AM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    Why not just put 5100's in the front with an aal in the back? I spent big money on my Icon stage 3 lift and my truck is pretty much a pavement queen. Looking back a cheeper lift would've been much better for me. If you are deadset on one of those lifts, I would go with the RCD myself. With the Toytec, you may regret not being high enough, but with the RCD you won't have the potential for that regret.

3. Nov 14, 2011 at 4:04 PM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    I'll trade you my toytec's, lol! I'll put those Icons to work!

OP - Toytec's are great but will need to do some trimming to fit 285's! I don't really know much about the RCD kit but you would have plenty of clearance and don't really need to worry about the offroad capabilities. What's you budget look like? Are you 4x? 5100's, 1.5" aal and could run 265's and be good unless you're looking to lift it for looks (nothing wrong with that either)! If you're 2 wheel drive look at some spindles for the lift and that will keep everything else pretty stock!

4. Nov 14, 2011 at 4:33 PM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    Just looked up the RCD lift online and it uses rear blocks.....bad idea! You've got a brand new truck, for $2k you have lots of options and persoanly I wouldn't chop my cross member for a drop bracket lift with rear blocks!

Go with the Toytec pre-assembled coilovers for $549, Light racing UCA's to keep alignement perfect and OME replacement springs since you carry weight. You could still run 285's and just trim plastic if you're not trying to stuff them everytime you offroad!

Shit, you just missed a smal group buy with Fox shocks all around and All Pro springs for $1500. Shoot "The Parts Whore" a PM and see what he's got!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/su...ox-2-5-vs-toytec-ult-radflo-icon-2nd-gen.html

5. Nov 14, 2011 at 4:43 PM
    kieth

kieth Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 trd
    Full OME lift with Dakars, 886s and LR UCA's, Firestone air bags w\ onboard compressor, 2 kicker CVT 10" subs , MB Quart 1000w amp ,Alpine media player
    man if i could do my lift over again , i think the ultimate would be the rcd kit but with the dakars for the rear. in not a fan of the 6 inch drop bracket kits, but with the rcd u could upgrade to like a 6 -7 inch coilover with uniball uca's. it would be awesome

6. Nov 14, 2011 at 5:44 PM
    Swampmonkey

Swampmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Fairhope, AL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prerunner TRD DC
    UWS black low profile toolbox, TRD intake, TRD exhaust, TC uca's, Rear 2" toytec aal, OME Front and Rear shocks, OME 885s, NFABs
    Same boat man. Just ordered bills all the way around and aal in back. Toytec seemed to fit my needs. I can always upgrade in the future if I want to go up to 3".

7. Nov 14, 2011 at 7:53 PM
    sandjunkie

sandjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    OC
    I love my RCD. No need to be nervous about the crossmember. great ride, perfect stance, and good cv angles. Yes, the rear is blocks, but can be upgraded and they are fine for a truck that spends 90% of time on the pavement and the rest light wheeling.

8. Nov 14, 2011 at 8:24 PM
    Bee22971

Bee22971 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garth
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD
    King 2.5 C/O, DSM UCAs, all pro leafs, and AllPro Sliders
    If the ride is solid, I can haul some weight, and I don't get stuck in Tahoe again (don't ask), I would spend a 3k+ on the project. Hell, my wife is just happy Im not on my Harley. My only concern is just doing it right.

Products Discussed in

To Top