Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

New UCAs - Alignment

Old 11-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
The Red Bull
BassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Aviation Electronics Tech
Name: Dylan
BassAckwardsDyl's Tacoma Gallery
New UCAs - Alignment

First off, wanted to say that the guys over at toytec are great to work with and very friendly and knowledgeable.

Just ordered a set of LR UCAs and should be here at the end of the week! From my understanding, the uniballs are adjustable for caster settings before installing? If so, to get as close to factory specs, what do i need to set them at before installing? The install is going on a 07 DC with a 3" spacer on stock billies with 265/70/17s.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
They are a ball joint, not a uniball. Just to clarify. The UCAs will have a instruction sheet. Set them at the 0 setting.

Edit: the letter D, 0 setting. Provides +2 degrees caster.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
The Red Bull
BassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

In the email i got from toytec, they said they weren't going to print up instructions but referred me to the website for install. The only thing i found was the video with the install, but figured that was a generic video as was looking for a little more direction with my setup. Thanks for clarifying about the ball joint instead of uniball
Old 11-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerla View Post
They are a ball joint, not a uniball. Just to clarify. The UCAs will have a instruction sheet. Set them at the 0 setting.

Edit: the letter D, 0 setting. Provides +2 degrees caster.
This ^^^^

with the SPC logo facing out away from the UCA towards the tire
Old 11-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylpickel2004 View Post
In the email i got from toytec, they said they weren't going to print up instructions but referred me to the website for install. The only thing i found was the video with the install, but figured that was a generic video as was looking for a little more direction with my setup. Thanks for clarifying about the ball joint instead of uniball
They come with instructions on set up of the balljoint
Old 11-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #7

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerla View Post
This sheet should be included with the UCA's , the video on the SPC site shows how they are installed OP
Old 11-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #8
The Red Bull

Thanks for the help and quick responses. Im always telling others that have tacomas or possibly wanting tacomas to check this site out cause of all the help and info. Again, thanks!
Old 11-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #9

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylpickel2004 View Post
Thanks for the help and quick responses. Im always telling others that have tacomas or possibly wanting tacomas to check this site out cause of all the help and info. Again, thanks!
FYI , check the revision / version date on the LR UCA sheet you get with your UCA's .

The one bakerla posted is the most recent and correct , but there is an older version , I believe 06/10 that shows an incorrect setting for the balljoints

The revision date is in the bottom right corner of the page
Old 11-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
The Red Bull

Thanks, ill keep on the lookout. I was putting off buying the UCAs but wound up breaking the balljoint. Everytime my suspension flexes and then compresses, i hear metal on metal contact. I wiggled the tire and traced it to the UCA
Old 11-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #11
XxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
XxTHe FioLOxX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
They come with instructions on set up of the balljoint
Yep
Old 11-14-2011, 06:31 PM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBb View Post
here's a link to their new FAQ too.

http://www.spcalignment.com/faq/arti...r_control_arms
Nice addition
Old 11-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #14
I have to return some videotapes
JonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice addition
yeah, chris at spc gave me all the extra info over the phone a couple of months ago. by the time i got around to installing them last week, i'd lost my notes.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #15

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yeah, chris hinds at spc gave me all the extra info over the phone a couple of months ago. by the time i got around to installing them last week, i'd lost my notes.
You like ?
Old 11-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #16
JonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You like ?
hell yeah! caster's a little high, but better high than low.

i set mine with the ball joint in an 1/8". think that is why the alignment guy couldn't get my caster down using the adjustment on the lowers without messing up my camber.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #17
Sprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Sprink669's Tacoma Gallery
How does it track down the road? My caster is at 2.7 and I was thinking about going back to bump it up to 3.0 It tends to wander a bit too much on the freeway.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:47 AM   #18

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
it tracks really decent. granted my caster was at 1.3/1.2 before i installed the UCAs, so anything is an improvement over where it was before. not sure if that helps.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #19
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
it tracks really decent. granted my caster was at 1.3/1.2 before i installed the UCAs, so anything is an improvement over where it was before. not sure if that helps.
Quote:
hell yeah! caster's a little high, but better high than low.

i set mine with the ball joint in an 1/8". think that is why the alignment guy couldn't get my caster down using the adjustment on the lowers without messing up my camber.

Watch out for rubbing issues. Adding caster at the top pushes the wheel further back in the wheel well and usually causes rubbing issue with 33" tires. Ideally you want to get as much of the caster as you can from the bottom, because adding caster at the bottom pushes your wheels forward in the wheel well. So, if you had 1.4* before UCAs, then you really only want to set the UCAs at +1* additional caster. This would get you in spec and keep the wheel as far forward in the wheel well as possible.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #20

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRS 2 TiFJ View Post
Watch out for rubbing issues. Adding caster at the top pushes the wheel further back in the wheel well and usually causes rubbing issue with 33" tires. Ideally you want to get as much of the caster as you can from the bottom, because adding caster at the bottom pushes your wheels forward in the wheel well. So, if you had 1.4* before UCAs, then you really only want to set the UCAs at +1* additional caster. This would get you in spec and keep the wheel as far forward in the wheel well as possible.
That is an excellent point that the OP should consider. Chris at SPC suggested trying to increase the lower caster as well. I'm nearly maxed out on the bottom right now and only running 265/70s, so I'm not having clearance issues.