Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Fox vs kings, little help please.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Fox vs kings, little help please.

Hello, first let me say I did try the search and understand both companies make excellent products but still would like a little advice.
Here are my off road needs, this is not my daily driver but need to keep the shell and bed functional so long travel is out. Truck will be driven in the desert with long trips through death valley to reach remote photo locations and camping destinations, also I enjoy shooting off road races so would like to be able to chase the trucks (short cuts) so I will be getting on it a little. Also I will be driving to Utah and hope to do a little offroad exploring this year.
So with that out of the way what shock would you guys recommend? Already have tc arms to install when I add the shocks.
First thought is the fox coils with the rez here is the link http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-13...mance-kit.html

Or the adjustable kings with the rez linked hear http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-74...re-runner.html
The kings retail for $1800 and the foxes are $1260 but the kings are "adjustable on the fly, ok turn a knob".

Will I get roughly $500 more out of the Kings?
Thanks.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
XxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
XxTHe FioLOxX's Tacoma Gallery
Fox or king their both good
Old 11-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #4
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have any experience with fox, but my kings are soooo nice. Dsm will give you a good deal on the kings btw
Old 11-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by senor taco View Post
Flip a coin
X2.

live via
Old 11-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
No longer anonymous. D'oh!
carcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
carcharias's Tacoma Gallery

I'm having the EXACT same dilemma right now between the two. I wrote DSM with specs that I would add a plate bumper, full skids and have a motorcycle in the bed, and they wrote back:

"I would suggest wither a Fox or a King coil over shock for the front and
an add-a-leaf in the rear. The front you can pre load the coil to
compensate for the additional weight and get some lift out of it and the
rear add-a-leaf will give you another 600lbs or so additional weight
capacity for your motorcycle. The coil overs will range from about $1200
for the Fox and $1350 for the King. The add-a-leaf is the 3-stage one by
Icon and it is $179.99."

Just noticed RAD has the 2.5" King shocks, and will be hitting him up for advice if it's not already posted in his thread.

Anyway, good luck, and keep us informed!
Old 11-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
i would go with the adjustable kings, i have seen the old kind and the new kind in person and they are so awesome and easy to adjust but then again it really depends on how hard you will push it, if its not gonna be pushed to its limits you wont see a big difference with all those adjustable settings,
Old 11-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #8
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrande View Post
I don't have any experience with fox, but my kings are soooo nice. Dsm will give you a good deal on the kings btw
Yeah they sound real nice for sure, I think the forum price from DSM is a little better but know they don't post prices here so I just rounded up.
Good to know both products are up to the task, just not sure if the adjustable kings are worth the extra $500?
Old 11-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
I have the rear kings as well.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #10

Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak201 View Post
i would go with the adjustable kings, i have seen the old kind and the new kind in person and they are so awesome and easy to adjust but then again it really depends on how hard you will push it, if its not gonna be pushed to its limits you wont see a big difference with all those adjustable settings,
Thanks for the reply, thing is most of the time offroad I am sure both are overkill, but when trying to cut across a race course and keep up with "full race builds" I tend to use my right foot a little more
Old 11-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #11
Slinging parts since '03
The Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Parts Whore is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The Parts Whore's Tacoma Gallery
This is just my personal option and if any of you know me, I've dealt suspension stuff for a while.

1A. King
1B. Fox
1C. Icon

2A. SAW
2B. Walker Evans

3. OME

Go with the Kings 2.5" RR (non compression adjustable) for around $1500 and $800 for the matching rear shocks.

PS. I might run another group-buy of these in a few days.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #12
a member
WhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
WhiteWiddow's Tacoma Gallery
I just put on the DSM UCA and Fox 2.5 w/RR CO's w/ Fox 2.0 w/RR on the rear. Couldnt be happier. If you choose to go with King (my friend has them on his-long travel) both are good but DSM will hook you up either way. Amazing to work with and mention your from TW and you get better pricing. Marco is the Man At DSM... Best of Luck.

PS - I have no affiliation with DSM, I herd about em from TW and they past my expectations as this was my first purchase. Seriously cant go wrong.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #13
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
The adjustable kings are better being adjustable . But you really don't need to adjust them if you buy them valved for your truck . And since you are not going LT I'd suggest the fox ext .
Old 11-15-2011, 07:41 AM   #14
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Performance wise they are very close, I think after having both in many applications that King is slightly better, However whereas customer service is a point I'd have to go King all the way as Fox's Customer service is aweful.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #15
iKill

mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
You guys talking about the kings being adjustable, how? Is it by the little knob on the reservoir?
Old 11-15-2011, 07:57 AM   #16
WTF
1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Fox or icon for the extended travel.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #20

Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Just spoke with them as well, after talking about my truck with the front bumper and ato skids I might want to go with the kings as the will swap the spring for a heavier springs for the same price.