1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fox vs kings, little help please.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Redgrom, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Nov 14, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    Redgrom

Redgrom [OP] http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    Hello, first let me say I did try the search and understand both companies make excellent products but still would like a little advice.
    Here are my off road needs, this is not my daily driver but need to keep the shell and bed functional so long travel is out. Truck will be driven in the desert with long trips through death valley to reach remote photo locations and camping destinations, also I enjoy shooting off road races so would like to be able to chase the trucks (short cuts) so I will be getting on it a little. Also I will be driving to Utah and hope to do a little offroad exploring this year.
    So with that out of the way what shock would you guys recommend? Already have tc arms to install when I add the shocks.
    First thought is the fox coils with the rez here is the link http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-134716-fox-racing-toyota-tacoma-2005-2009-performance-kit.html

Or the adjustable kings with the rez linked hear http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-7...current-toyota-tacoma-4wd-2wd-pre-runner.html
    The kings retail for $1800 and the foxes are $1260 but the kings are "adjustable on the fly, ok turn a knob".

Will I get roughly $500 more out of the Kings?
    Thanks.

2. Nov 14, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    Fiolo

Fiolo Senior member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, 2022 Tacoma, 2019 L5P Duramax
    Lost track many mods ago
    Fox or king their both good

3. Nov 14, 2011 at 5:49 PM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    Flip a coin

4. Nov 14, 2011 at 5:49 PM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    I don't have any experience with fox, but my kings are soooo nice. Dsm will give you a good deal on the kings btw

5. Nov 14, 2011 at 5:51 PM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    :popcorn:

I'm having the EXACT same dilemma right now between the two. I wrote DSM with specs that I would add a plate bumper, full skids and have a motorcycle in the bed, and they wrote back:

"I would suggest wither a Fox or a King coil over shock for the front and
    an add-a-leaf in the rear. The front you can pre load the coil to
    compensate for the additional weight and get some lift out of it and the
    rear add-a-leaf will give you another 600lbs or so additional weight
    capacity for your motorcycle. The coil overs will range from about $1200
    for the Fox and $1350 for the King. The add-a-leaf is the 3-stage one by
    Icon and it is $179.99."

Just noticed RAD has the 2.5" King shocks, and will be hitting him up for advice if it's not already posted in his thread.

Anyway, good luck, and keep us informed!

6. Nov 14, 2011 at 5:52 PM
    rcfreak201

rcfreak201 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i would go with the adjustable kings, i have seen the old kind and the new kind in person and they are so awesome and easy to adjust but then again it really depends on how hard you will push it, if its not gonna be pushed to its limits you wont see a big difference with all those adjustable settings,

7. Nov 14, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    Redgrom

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    Yeah they sound real nice for sure, I think the forum price from DSM is a little better but know they don't post prices here so I just rounded up.
    Good to know both products are up to the task, just not sure if the adjustable kings are worth the extra $500?

8. Nov 14, 2011 at 6:03 PM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    I have the rear kings as well.

9. Nov 14, 2011 at 6:08 PM
    Redgrom

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the reply, thing is most of the time offroad I am sure both are overkill, but when trying to cut across a race course and keep up with "full race builds" I tend to use my right foot a little more:D

10. Nov 14, 2011 at 7:25 PM
    The Parts Whore

The Parts Whore Slinging parts since '03

Member:
    This is just my personal option and if any of you know me, I've dealt suspension stuff for a while.

1A. King
    1B. Fox
    1C. Icon

2A. SAW
    2B. Walker Evans

3. OME

Go with the Kings 2.5" RR (non compression adjustable) for around $1500 and $800 for the matching rear shocks.

PS. I might run another group-buy of these in a few days. ;)

11. Nov 14, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    WhiteWiddow

WhiteWiddow a member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 V6 TRD Sport DC LB 4X4
    Same ish everyones doin
    I just put on the DSM UCA and Fox 2.5 w/RR CO's w/ Fox 2.0 w/RR on the rear. Couldnt be happier. If you choose to go with King (my friend has them on his-long travel) both are good but DSM will hook you up either way. Amazing to work with and mention your from TW and you get better pricing. Marco is the Man At DSM... Best of Luck.

PS - I have no affiliation with DSM, I herd about em from TW and they past my expectations as this was my first purchase. Seriously cant go wrong.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Nov 15, 2011 at 7:41 AM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
    Performance wise they are very close, I think after having both in many applications that King is slightly better, However whereas customer service is a point I'd have to go King all the way as Fox's Customer service is aweful.

13. Nov 15, 2011 at 7:47 AM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    You guys talking about the kings being adjustable, how? Is it by the little knob on the reservoir?

14. Nov 15, 2011 at 7:57 AM
    1TUFFTRD

1TUFFTRD WTF

Member:
    out and about building powerlines
    Vehicle:
    06 AC with a skewp
    06 With a Skewp.
    Fox or icon for the extended travel.

[​IMG]

15. Nov 15, 2011 at 8:11 AM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    What does King 2", 2.5" and 3" mean? The maximum height? Or travel?

16. Nov 15, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Thanks.

What effect would that have? Larger = more smooth?

17. Nov 15, 2011 at 8:32 AM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Ah! Awesome, thanks! +1

DSM just got back to me and said 2.5" is the only OEM size for Tacomas, so I guess that takes care of that.

18. Nov 15, 2011 at 10:24 AM
    Redgrom

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    Just spoke with them as well, after talking about my truck with the front bumper and ato skids I might want to go with the kings as the will swap the spring for a heavier springs for the same price.

19. Nov 15, 2011 at 10:41 AM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    ^^ Whaddya mean about swapping springs? A new pack? Or an AAL?

You keeping the Billy's in the back (assuming you have an OR), or are you getting Kings all-around?

I've decided on Kings, too, but am wondering about getting a new leaf pack. Sounds like we're on the same course...

20. Nov 15, 2011 at 10:46 AM
    Redgrom

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    To clear my last post up, dsm will replace the king coil spring with a heavier one (on the front coil over) to compensate for the extra weight from my aftermarket bumper and skids. With fox I would have to pay extra for heavier springs for the coil overs.
    I have Deaver on the rear with 5100's but the 5100's are on the replace list for sure.

Products Discussed in

To Top