Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Creeking sound from the front while starting off

Old 11-17-2011, 06:36 AM   #1
hookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
hookedontronics's Tacoma Gallery
Creeking sound from the front while starting off

This past week i added DSM upper control arms and 285/65-18" tires to my truck. I also cranked down my Icon extended coilovers from 1.75" and 1.5" thread to 2.25" and 2" thread showing. Now the icon literature said 2" of thread max but i spoke with them and they said that is old literature and that as long as you have 2" of downtravel that is what they recommend, and i have just a hair over that. Now another thing i did was grease up my UCAs after i installed them, and not beofre i assembled them.

So anyways...now when i start off from a stop i hear a little creeking in the front, checked over everything and it's all tight. I'm not sure if this is because of the weight/size of the new tires (i had stock size on before with this lift, and this is the first time i've ever added bigger tires to a truck), or if it's because my UCAs possible need more lube since i lubed them up after i installed them. Could also be that my coilovers are just wearing in to the new position as well, or maybe it's just the bushings on them.

Think it's anything to worry about? Any possible suggestions. I first thing i'm going to do it hit the UCAs with more greese since maybe they will take a little more now that they've had some travel to them
Old 11-17-2011, 07:09 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Does it do the same thing in reverse?

How loud is it?

Are you sure the noise is coming from the front end?

If everything you've done is new - suspension work and all the changes you've done will take time to 'settle in'. Give it a few days .....
Old 11-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedontronics View Post
yeah does the same in reverse, it's not too loud but i can hear it. It's been a week today, about 400 miles on the truck so far
The only thing I can think of at this point - When was the last time you greased your driveshafts? (ujoints)

Perhaps the extra height and the different operating 'angle' (per say) - and if you haven't greased them in a while. Worth doing it anyway if it hasn't been done in a while. I've had stranger things happen....that were totally unrelated.

Does it 'creek' while in drive? And what I mean is.... if you stop the truck on a down hill, put it in neutral and let it coast forward (no gas, no drive) - does it still make the creeking sound?
Old 11-17-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
you know cold weather and snow kindv'e does that for me, a creaking sound when starting to drive ( like something is locked up until i start driving). you have any snow/cold weather where your at? if you have a garage (heated) test out that theory and see if it still does that when at summer time temps.
Just a thought.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
i have a weird noise when i just start moving forward or back, turns out it was my break pads moving
Old 11-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedontronics View Post
Does anyone think removing my sway bar would help?
No.... You need to find the source of the problem. Removing the sway bar will only hide it.

Besides - removing the sway bar will change the driving characteristics making it tilt/lean in the corners. And if you ever have to make a quick abrupt turn to avoid an accident - having that sway bar could make the difference between keeping all 4 wheels on the ground or not.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:05 AM   #11
hookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
hookedontronics's Tacoma Gallery
I wanted to update this and let everyone know what the deal was. I greesed my ucas again once they had some time to articulate and the sound is gone, pretty sure that's all it was since i never lubed them before install and only greesed them after they were on. Anyways, creeking sound is no more