Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

a couple of issues after ULK install...

Old 11-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
PaidUpTruck is on a distinguished road
PaidUpTruck's Tacoma Gallery
a couple of issues after ULK install...

My son and I just finished installing the ULK with the LR UCA. A couple of issues that concerns me:

- my stock TRD-OR tires BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A 265-70-16 tires are rubbing on the UCA. For those with the same set-up, can I get away with not buying spacers or rims????

- when I added the 3 degree shims for the AAL, the round head of the centering bolt is not long enough to "engage" the hole of the axle. So I did not put it on. So far I have no vibration issues but I have only tested it around the neighborhood. Do I need to put the shims on???

Thanks for all replies, suggestions and advices....
Old 11-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
What's ulk ? Are you running the steelies ?
Old 11-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
What's ulk ? Are you running the steelies ?
Toytec's Ultimate Lift Kit
Old 11-20-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
i have the same lift, i had the same issue with shims not fitting correctly, did not have any vibe issues and left them off. so if you have no issues then leave them off. i had the steelies stock wheels with 265 75 16 M/T with no rub so i can't help you there. although the cheaper route is spacers and i recommend spidertrax, i had them but did not need them anymore because i went with different wheels.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Are you on stock wheels ?

You may need longer centre pins and centre pin collars for your leafs in order to use the shims
Old 11-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
Center pins were long enough, the round head however was not long enough to protrude through the shims.

I have the stock TRD-OR aluminum wheels.

Thanks for all the replies...

BTW, can an alignment push my wheels away from the UCA??? I already put it all the way out (nearest the wheels) so no more adjustment from the UCA unless I put the "SPC" logo facing the engine... but unless I still have adjustment on the LCA, my wheels will be tilting outwards... like the rear wheels of a 1970's Volkswagen beetle... heheheh!
Old 11-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #7

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Get some centre pin collars , they fit over the end of the centre pin and extend the part that seats in the axle by approx 3/8"

Search for the thread " Dakars and axle shims " the concept is the same as far as the pin collars go

Have you had an alignment done since your install ?
Old 11-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #8

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
This should help you with the shim issue

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...xle-shims.html
That's the thread
Old 11-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
This is a great solution. If ever I need to do it, I will just use split-ring lock washer since I have some that is almost the same size as the suggested spacer.

Speaking of wheel spacers, can I just buy a pair for the front??? The Spidertrax looks like it would fit the bill but for $100 a pair, it hurts!!!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #10

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaidUpTruck View Post
This is a great solution. If ever I need to do it, I will just use split-ring lock washer since I have some that is almost the same size as the suggested spacer.

Speaking of wheel spacers, can I just buy a pair for the front??? The Spidertrax looks like it would fit the bill but for $100 a pair, it hurts!!!!!
The collars are only like $8 or so