1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

a couple of issues after ULK install...

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by PaidUpTruck, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Nov 20, 2011 at 8:00 PM
    PaidUpTruck

PaidUpTruck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4
    My son and I just finished installing the ULK with the LR UCA. A couple of issues that concerns me:

- my stock TRD-OR tires BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A 265-70-16 tires are rubbing on the UCA. For those with the same set-up, can I get away with not buying spacers or rims????

- when I added the 3 degree shims for the AAL, the round head of the centering bolt is not long enough to "engage" the hole of the axle. So I did not put it on. So far I have no vibration issues but I have only tested it around the neighborhood. Do I need to put the shims on???

Thanks for all replies, suggestions and advices....

2. Nov 20, 2011 at 8:11 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Toytec's Ultimate Lift Kit

3. Nov 20, 2011 at 8:12 PM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    i have the same lift, i had the same issue with shims not fitting correctly, did not have any vibe issues and left them off. so if you have no issues then leave them off. i had the steelies stock wheels with 265 75 16 M/T with no rub so i can't help you there. although the cheaper route is spacers and i recommend spidertrax, i had them but did not need them anymore because i went with different wheels.

4. Nov 20, 2011 at 8:13 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Are you on stock wheels ?

You may need longer centre pins and centre pin collars for your leafs in order to use the shims

5. Nov 20, 2011 at 8:26 PM
    PaidUpTruck

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Center pins were long enough, the round head however was not long enough to protrude through the shims.

I have the stock TRD-OR aluminum wheels.

Thanks for all the replies...

BTW, can an alignment push my wheels away from the UCA??? I already put it all the way out (nearest the wheels) so no more adjustment from the UCA unless I put the "SPC" logo facing the engine... but unless I still have adjustment on the LCA, my wheels will be tilting outwards... like the rear wheels of a 1970's Volkswagen beetle... heheheh!

6. Nov 20, 2011 at 10:23 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Get some centre pin collars , they fit over the end of the centre pin and extend the part that seats in the axle by approx 3/8"

Search for the thread " Dakars and axle shims " the concept is the same as far as the pin collars go

Have you had an alignment done since your install ?

7. Nov 21, 2011 at 8:28 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
  8. Nov 21, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    PaidUpTruck

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4
    This is a great solution. If ever I need to do it, I will just use split-ring lock washer since I have some that is almost the same size as the suggested spacer.

Speaking of wheel spacers, can I just buy a pair for the front??? The Spidertrax looks like it would fit the bill but for $100 a pair, it hurts!!!!!:facepalm:

9. Nov 21, 2011 at 6:07 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    The collars are only like $8 or so

Products Discussed in

To Top