Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Any chance that diff drop may fix front vibration issue?

Old 11-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
KRich is on a distinguished road
KRich's Tacoma Gallery
Any chance that diff drop may fix front vibration issue?

Hi all,

I know that there are countless threads about this topic and I have searched through most of them. There seems to be an almost 50/50 opinion about the usefulness of a diff drop kit.
I recently installed Billys set at 2.5 in the front with a Toytec TSB AAL and spidertrax spacers. I had a pretty strong vibration around 60 km/hr before changing my stock size tires on the TRD 17" rims to 265/70/17 and getting an alignment done. Now the vibration is still there but not as noticeable. It does always go away when I put it in 4HI so I know that there is a good chance that it is a faulty diff/bearing. I just want to know if anyone has had any luck with the diff drop fixing the vibration or if it is just wishful thinking on my part and if I just need to suck it up and go to the dealership if it bothers me enough.

cheers,
Kyle
Old 11-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
KRich's Tacoma Gallery
bump
Old 11-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
KRich's Tacoma Gallery
Does the lack of response mean no one has had any luck with the diff drop fixing the vibration?
Old 11-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
KRich's Tacoma Gallery
I know someone wants to help me possibly save time and money!
Old 11-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
KRich's Tacoma Gallery
bump
Old 11-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Highly unlikely. Your vibe probably has more to do with CV angle or the famous needle bearing problem.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
The Red Bull
BassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Aviation Electronics Tech
Name: Dylan
BassAckwardsDyl's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 11-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
Nonfatwater7 is on a distinguished road

Nonfatwater7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Highly unlikely. Your vibe probably has more to do with CV angle or the famous needle bearing problem.
Diff drop changes both dude...

just install it and see, I am in the same boat and plan on throwing mine in. I actually have the same setup for the most part. I am working on a clunk at the moment because the vibes don't bother me. Here is your issue though, dropping the diff will allow things to hit it more easily. Not dropping it will cause more stress on your CV axles. That being said, I read somewhere that someone put like 60,000 on their lift with no diff drop so you are ok as long as the vibes don't bother you.
1: Convince yourself its the tires
2: Tell everyone its the tires
3: Ladies like vibes
Old 11-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
KRich's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I'm pretty tempted to try it even if it's a small chance. It seems like some guys have had the problem come back even after having their diff replaced by the dealership. Still seems strange to me that I could have absolutely no vibe at stock height with a bad diff bearing.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRich View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty tempted to try it even if it's a small chance. It seems like some guys have had the problem come back even after having their diff replaced by the dealership. Still seems strange to me that I could have absolutely no vibe at stock height with a bad diff bearing.

Diff drop really doesn't do a whole lot for the cv angles, and it won't make the vibe go away either. It may make it less noticeable for a little bit, but if the problem is there, it's not going away until it's fixed. The fix is replaceing the bearing yourself, cuz toyotas manufacturing process doesn't seem to be able to install them correctly. If you have rear vibe issues, then a CB drop or axle shims, or a combination of both will remedy that. But a faulty bearing in your front diff is going to stay faulty til it's replaced.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #11
KRich's Tacoma Gallery
Did you replace the bearing yourself? Unfortunately I think that is well above and beyond my mechanical aptitude . I think I will be stuck with whatever Toyota will do for me.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #12
Nonfatwater7 is on a distinguished road

Nonfatwater7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRich View Post
Did you replace the bearing yourself? Unfortunately I think that is well above and beyond my mechanical aptitude . I think I will be stuck with whatever Toyota will do for me.
or you could just drive it with vibes...