Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Discrete way of weighing down bed?

Old 11-22-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
FLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
FLtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Discrete way of weighing down bed?

I tried searching but no luck. Has anyone seen or tried a more discrete way of weighing down bed. Maybe sandbags in behind the bumper. Looking for a way to drop the rear a little with weight because it's slightly higher than front. But don't want sand bags just laying in bed. Any info is appreciated.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Wouldn't it be easier to raise the front to a level height?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
FLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

FLtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacountryboy-IXI View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to raise the front to a level height?
Yes but no. I've already got tc spindles and 5100s at 2.5 up front and a add a leaf and 3" block in rear. Eventually plan on allpro leaf pack but in till then looking for cheap way to drop it a half inch or so.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:00 AM   #4

FLtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Just tired of the un level rear high look it has.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #5
F16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: LUKE
F16TACO's Tacoma Gallery
let some air out of the rear tires.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:03 AM   #6

FLtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by F16TACO View Post
let some air out of the rear tires.
That can't be good for even wear on tires though right?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:04 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Plate steel under the rubber bed mat. My dad does this every winter, he uses long pieces of flat stock that are cut to fit the truck's bed front to back. Just slide them under the rubber bed mat and done. Another option would be flat tractor weights. They can be found in 1" plate steel so a nice low profile. You'd need a rubber bed mat so they don't slide or would need to secure them other way. You'd have to put them against the front of the truck bed.

Best option, rear plate bumper.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtaco View Post
No, it's not and also not good for MPG's. I run about 3 - 4 lbs less in the rear tires since the back is so light anyways. If you're adding weight though, you'll want to keep the pressures even.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
take the block out and leave the aal in
Old 11-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #10
F16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

F16TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well loading down the rear end with weight to level it out is gonna be rough and unnecessary wear on your shocks and rear suspension. either way these are both ridiculous ways of leveling a truck.

get a one inch spacer and install it in the front end to level the truck.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:21 AM   #11

FLtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well loading down the rear end with weight to level it out is gonna be rough and unnecessary wear on your shocks and rear suspension. either way these are both ridiculous ways of leveling a truck.

get a one inch spacer and install it in the front end to level the truck.
Don't think that's doable. My fronts maxed out right now. Understandable how both could be bad but some trucks use sandbags alot during winter and some beds are loaded down year round. So suspension wear isn't a top worry of mine. Deflating tires would definitely cause uneven wear though. I've currently got 3 cinder blocks back there and am going to purchase tube sand at lowes just curious if anyone has found better place to put it other than in the bed.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #12

FLtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paden View Post
Plan on getting leaf pack. I know there's a million ways I could fix this by adjusting suspension. But I only want to do it once. So I plan on doing when I buy leaf pack. Intill then I'm looking for inexpensive ways and seeing of someone has discrete way of hiding sand bags. Thanks though everyone.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #13
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
<rant>
Sorry man, you're asking a question that represents an opinion shared by a lot of guys. Nothing personal, but I just need to get a good rant off my chest.

I do NOT get this fascination folks have with "level."

A truck with an empty bed is functionally sprung and ready to work.

It's ready to carry its load rating - for a Tacoma, say roughly half-a-ton-give-or-take.

You want your truck looking like it's carrying something, without looking like its carrying something.

I even hear guys call the unloaded look the "stink bug" look. Well, to me, the "ass down" look reminds me of nothing so much as a dog wiping its butt on the grass. Or the "overloaded" look of the gardener hauling 2000lbs of sand in a truck designed to haul 1000lbs. At least he's using his truck for the job for which it was intended.

End rant. Nothing personal. You just asked the wrong question at the wrong time. I feel better for getting that off my chest. Now go do what you want with your truck.
</rant>
Old 11-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #14
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paden View Post
This is the most practical and helpful suggestion. I'd recommend doing this to achieve the result you're looking for.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #15
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Plan on getting leaf pack. I know there's a million ways I could fix this by adjusting suspension. But I only want to do it once. So I plan on doing when I buy leaf pack. Intill then I'm looking for inexpensive ways and seeing of someone has discrete way of hiding sand bags. Thanks though everyone.
oh, from my perspective i was thinking maybe take an hour and do it on your own. but thats me goodluck
Old 11-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #16

F16TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Don't think that's doable. My fronts maxed out right now. Understandable how both could be bad but some trucks use sandbags alot during winter and some beds are loaded down year round. So suspension wear isn't a top worry of mine. Deflating tires would definitely cause uneven wear though. I've currently got 3 cinder blocks back there and am going to purchase tube sand at lowes just curious if anyone has found better place to put it other than in the bed.
well if unnecessary wear on your suspension is not an issue for you than obviously this is just for the look of being level and not the functionality of your truck. then by all means load it down. you can stuff weight on top of your spare tire or zip tie it to your frame rails under the bed.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #17

FLtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well if unnecessary wear on your suspension is not an issue for you than obviously this is just for the look of being level and not the functionality of your truck. then by all means load it down. you can stuff weight on top of your spare tire or zip tie it to your frame rails under the bed.
Spare tires a good idea. Your the first person to answer actual question I had. Is there a discrete way to keep bed empty. Thank you
Old 11-22-2011, 08:49 AM   #18

FLtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
<rant>
Sorry man, you're asking a question that represents an opinion shared by a lot of guys. Nothing personal, but I just need to get a good rant off my chest.

I do NOT get this fascination folks have with "level."

A truck with an empty bed is functionally sprung and ready to work.

It's ready to carry its load rating - for a Tacoma, say roughly half-a-ton-give-or-take.

You want your truck looking like it's carrying something, without looking like its carrying something.

I even hear guys call the unloaded look the "stink bug" look. Well, to me, the "ass down" look reminds me of nothing so much as a dog wiping its butt on the grass. Or the "overloaded" look of the gardener hauling 2000lbs of sand in a truck designed to haul 1000lbs. At least he's using his truck for the job for which it was intended.

End rant. Nothing personal. You just asked the wrong question at the wrong time. I feel better for getting that off my chest. Now go do what you want with your truck.
</rant>
To each his own. That why you own your truck and I own mine. We like different looks than one another. Was a "rant" necessary? Because you disagree with the look of a truck?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #19

FLtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
This is the most practical and helpful suggestion. I'd recommend doing this to achieve the result you're looking for.
Sure most practical. But then I'd be Cali bulldogging. Not looking for that just level.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #20
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Plate steel under the rubber bed mat. My dad does this every winter, he uses long pieces of flat stock that are cut to fit the truck's bed front to back. Just slide them under the rubber bed mat and done. Another option would be flat tractor weights. They can be found in 1" plate steel so a nice low profile. You'd need a rubber bed mat so they don't slide or would need to secure them other way. You'd have to put them against the front of the truck bed.

Best option, rear plate bumper.
No, pugga was the first guy to answer the exact question you had.