1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein 5150 or 5165's?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by BlueSteel, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Nov 22, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    BlueSteel

BlueSteel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Grey Doublecab TRD Sport Debadged
    Camburg 4" Spindles, Icon CB 2.5 adjustables front and rear, Total Chaos Upper/Lower CAs, Alcan 5" Rear Leafs, Timbren Bumpstops, 5" SS Brakelines, 295/70/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 18" KMC Monsters, Grill Craft Black Mesh Upper, Predator Running Boards, All Pro Rear Bumper and Hitch, Wet Okole Covers, Toyota Roof Rack, Limo Tint, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust, Weathertech Mats, Redline Hood Struts, Red Top Odyssey battery, BDF Light Bar, Foglight anytime Mod, Lo Pro QT Truxedo Tonneau cover, Rocky Mount Bike Pegs.
    I was looking into replacing my 5100's when I get the new All Pro Expedition springs and 1" blocks. Does anyone have any experience with the 5165's?...I talked to DSM and they told me that they originally had a bad batch in the beginning because they were leaking, but that seemed to be worked out by Bilstein.

Any ideas on the size I should go with? I'm currently running the 3" Toytec with TSB and 1.5" AAL. (Going with a 4" All Pro Expo leaf and 1" block)

Would a 10" 5150 or 5165 work? I know the 5150 needs to have the bracket to convert it to a stem fitting, which adds a little length overall. The 5165 does not need any bracket to convert.

2. Nov 22, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Why are you putting blocks on such nice leaf packs??

Get the lift installed first then just measure.

3. Nov 22, 2011 at 12:16 PM
    BlueSteel

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    Camburg 4" Spindles, Icon CB 2.5 adjustables front and rear, Total Chaos Upper/Lower CAs, Alcan 5" Rear Leafs, Timbren Bumpstops, 5" SS Brakelines, 295/70/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 18" KMC Monsters, Grill Craft Black Mesh Upper, Predator Running Boards, All Pro Rear Bumper and Hitch, Wet Okole Covers, Toyota Roof Rack, Limo Tint, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust, Weathertech Mats, Redline Hood Struts, Red Top Odyssey battery, BDF Light Bar, Foglight anytime Mod, Lo Pro QT Truxedo Tonneau cover, Rocky Mount Bike Pegs.
    Because I'm looking to clear 295/70/18 (34.5 x 11.7) Nitto Trail Grapplers and need all the clearance possible. I'm sure I won't have a problem in the rear, but when I set my CO's to 1-1.75" I really don't want to see the rear end drop down 1.5".

4. Nov 22, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    BlueSteel

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    I would do the lift first and then measure the correct length on the shocks but it is my daily driver so I'm not sure if I can wait a week for the correct shocks to come in the mail. I was just gonna see if anyone had some input into the kind of setup I was going with.

Everything I read on the forum pointed to a 10" 5125, 5150, etc.

5. Nov 22, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Yea 10'' will prolly work, but its not like you can't drive without shocks. I did for a lil over a week while i waited for my shocks. Was fine.

And i seriously would not put blocks on the back man..

your going to have major Bro lean too.

6. Nov 22, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    BlueSteel

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    I don't think a 1" block will be too painfull because others on the forum are running it with the expedition leafs for some bigger tires. I might have to see how everything goes together first. I still have my 285's so I'm not rushing out for new tires yet.

Thanks for help!

7. Dec 11, 2011 at 10:23 PM
    munkel

munkel fka unregistered lurker...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2004 Dbl Cab V6 4WD Tacoma
    Icon Suspension, 285/75/16 BFG MT's, Steeeckers, Custom Bed Mounted Tool Storage, Wilderness Trail rack, SoftTopper, K&N CAI, Hella Aux lights, PIAA Fogs, Warn M8000, Elite Front Bumper, BAMF sliders, All-Pro leafs and shackles
    You ever get the 5165's? If so what do you think, I am considering a set for the rear.

8. Dec 12, 2011 at 6:00 AM
    BlueSteel

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    I went with the Fox 2.0 10" Resi's instead. I spoke with All Pro and ORW and they both told me that the 5165 wouldn't work for my application because of the compression and extension lengths of that shock. As for the 5150's I would have had to run a bracket on those to make it a stem bracket, and it would add another 1" to the shock. All Pro recommended the Fox Resi's or the Walker Evans.

Products Discussed in

To Top