Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Small lift option for 2nd Gen

Old 11-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
JBlood9 has a spectacular aura aboutJBlood9 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jordan
JBlood9's Tacoma Gallery
Small lift option for 2nd Gen

I've been bouncing back and fourth for months now trying to decide what lift I want to do and how I'm going to do it.
I know the option of 5100s and an AAL (hopefully i can just get the TSB) is popular.
With the horror stories of spacer lifts, I dont want to go there and take a chance either. Not with my luck.
I've also been given the suggestion of coils and a plate to lift it up some.
My whole thing is this: Ideally, I would like 3inches. But, I can not afford UCAs (if you go with the "cheaper" routes) or the price of a big true suspension lift. I know going 5100s and aal or coils etc will not get me 3in but im good with that. Basically the closer to 3 the better. TIA.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
What's your budget and what do you do with the truck? Is the lift for looks or will you be off roading?
Old 11-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
JBlood9's Tacoma Gallery
I have about $400 for parts. A buddy of mine can do the install in a breeze for free. And its semi for both. I only have 2wd which is why i'm not worried about getting my full 3 or more, but i do a ton of hunting and "use" my truck a lot. She's even been in the mud probably 5 or 6 times in the 7 months I've had her.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
$400 in parts your best bet would be 5100's up front set at 1.75 and a TSB rear with 5100's back there as well. If you want to go higher, you could go to 2.5 up front on the 5100's but then you have to make some decisions as to which AAL and shocks for the rear since you wouldn't be able to get 5100's and an AAL while staying under $400.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
JBlood9's Tacoma Gallery
thats what i figured would be happening. If all i do is TSB in the rear, it would be optional 5100s in the back right?
Old 11-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #6

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlood9 View Post
thats what i figured would be happening. If all i do is TSB in the rear, it would be optional 5100s in the back right?
Correct, 5100's would be optional in the rear with just the TSB leaf pack. The 5100's will ride better but stock Bilsteins will do fine.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
JBlood9's Tacoma Gallery
i'll sacrifice some ride to same the bucks. Just if/when i decide to go up with the rear i'll get the 5100s and bigger AAL and just adjust the front to 2.5....

Anyway, doing this shouldnt give me any UCA problems or anything stupid right?
Old 11-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #8

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i'll sacrifice some ride to same the bucks. Just if/when i decide to go up with the rear i'll get the 5100s and bigger AAL and just adjust the front to 2.5....

Anyway, doing this shouldnt give me any UCA problems or anything stupid right?
At 1.75, you should not have any issues with your UCA's, at 2.5 it's a coin flip although several members are at 2.5 with stock UCA's.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
JBlood9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
At 1.75, you should not have any issues with your UCA's, at 2.5 it's a coin flip although several members are at 2.5 with stock UCA's.
Just what I thought, and the luck i was talking about. But, sounds good. What vendors have the best price for some 5100s? or any of them offer a TW discount?
Old 11-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #10

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just what I thought, and the luck i was talking about. But, sounds good. What vendors have the best price for some 5100s? or any of them offer a TW discount?
Downsouth Motorsports I believe has the lowest prices.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/dow...torsports.html
Old 11-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #12
Interweb wheeler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
If you were to raise your budget a little you could do 5100s at 0 with eibach coils which yeild 1.6" of lift. Actually front 5100s would be 180 and coils are 150 so for 330 you have parts and getting the tsb will have you set!
Old 11-22-2011, 03:12 PM   #13
JBlood9's Tacoma Gallery
what would be the purpose of that if just straight 5100s gives me 1.75?

Couldnt you run the 5100s at .85 and tack the coils on though for more lift?
Old 11-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #14
Interweb wheeler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

The purpose of that is to get the lift by letting the coils do the lifting and not the shocks. You can set the 5100s at .85 and run eibach coils and is actually the setup I run.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #15
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

The main drawback to the "Bilstein Lift" is that you are compressing (pre-loading) the spring before it even goes to work. You get lift at the cost of ride quality.
If you're lifting with the spring in its normal state (some OME, Eibach lifts) the spring is functioning within its normal design parameters. You get lift via overall spring length. You would also get a little more travel.

So it's pre-load vs. no (or minimal) preload.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #16
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflan View Post
The main drawback to the "Bilstein Lift" is that you are compressing (pre-loading) the spring before it even goes to work. You get lift at the cost of ride quality.
If you're lifting with the spring in its normal state (some OME, Eibach lifts) the spring is functioning within its design parameters. You get lift via overall spring length. You would also get a little more travel.

So it's pre-load vs. no (or minimal) preload.
How exactly do you get more travel with an OME lift over a bilstein 5100 lift?
Old 11-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #18
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
How exactly do you get more travel with an OME lift over a bilstein 5100 lift?
Well, you have the top hat and the seat.
The spring is contained in that zone. As soon as you start adjusting the Billstein seat upwards, you are making that space smaller and the room to travel less.
Seems like they don't encourage the 2.5 setting and hopefully it doesn't allow stacking if it is used.

It's a good, economical lift and many like it.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #19
facebreaker1212 is on a distinguished road
facebreaker1212's Tacoma Gallery
I have 5100s in the front topped out at 2.5", Skyjacker AAL in the rear for 2". I am very happy with the ride and the look. I got my shocks from Wheeler's and the AAL from a local shop Jim Dean's Off Road.
Attached Thumbnails
Small lift option for 2nd Gen-tacomalifted.jpg  
Old 11-23-2011, 03:38 AM   #20
Interweb wheeler

You would regain the uptravel lost by not preloading the spring