Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Coilovers vs Shocks and Springs

Old 11-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
Eagle Mapper is on a distinguished road

Eagle Mapper's Tacoma Gallery
Coilovers vs Shocks and Springs

So I hope that I am framing this question correctly. Looking to pull the trigger on a lift for a 4x4 Dbl Cab 2010. I am 90% on road and 10% off road (fire roads and such). My Questions is what is the difference or pros / Cons of buy new shocks and springs vs buying Coilovers. And yes I have searched for this but I can not find this anwser. The lift packages I am looking at are Bilstein Adjustable lift w/ 5100 shocks or 3" lift kit with Bilstein 5100 height adjustable coilovers. Both of these are off the Toytec website. Any help on this would be great. Also have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Thanks,
Eagle
Old 11-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Toytec is having a sale http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/toy...iday-sale.html
Old 11-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Mapper View Post
So I hope that I am framing this question correctly. Looking to pull the trigger on a lift for a 4x4 Dbl Cab 2010. I am 90% on road and 10% off road (fire roads and such). My Questions is what is the difference or pros / Cons of buy new shocks and springs vs buying Coilovers. And yes I have searched for this but I can not find this anwser. The lift packages I am looking at are Bilstein Adjustable lift w/ 5100 shocks or 3" lift kit with Bilstein 5100 height adjustable coilovers. Both of these are off the Toytec website. Any help on this would be great. Also have a Happy Thanksgiving.

My interpretation of those terms and differences is this :

The front "shock" on a Tacoma is called a "strut"
The front spring on a Tacoma is called a spring
The front suspension assembly on a Tacoma is called a coilover.

Now some will not bless the part with the term "coilover" unless it's adjustable. Preferably "thread adjustable".
Some will also call the assembly a strut.

I think that the two types of setups you are looking at are both adjustable but they adjust in different ways.
One uses an adjustable spring seat that locks into pre-set grooves on the strut body.
The other uses a threaded adjustment system that is infinitely adjustable within the threaded field.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:18 AM   #4
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflan View Post
My interpretation of those terms and differences is this :

The front "shock" on a Tacoma is called a "strut"
The front spring on a Tacoma is called a spring
The front suspension assembly on a Tacoma is called a coilover.

Now some will not bless the part with the term "coilover" unless it's adjustable. Preferably "thread adjustable".
Some will also call the assembly a strut.

I think that the two types of setups you are looking at are both adjustable but they adjust in different ways.
One uses an adjustable spring seat that locks into pre-set grooves on the strut body.
The other uses a threaded adjustment system that is infinitely adjustable within the threaded field.

I like your analogy & definition of "coil over" type suspension, your definition is right, & to those who only think a true coilover are those that are adjustable are wrong, The answer is in the term "coilover" meaning any coil spring that installs OVER the strut/shock is indeed a coilover suspension application....