1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Coilovers vs Shocks and Springs

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Eagle Mapper, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Nov 24, 2011 at 9:42 AM
    Eagle Mapper

Eagle Mapper [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    10 Dbl Cab Mag Gray
    So I hope that I am framing this question correctly. Looking to pull the trigger on a lift for a 4x4 Dbl Cab 2010. I am 90% on road and 10% off road (fire roads and such). My Questions is what is the difference or pros / Cons of buy new shocks and springs vs buying Coilovers. And yes I have searched for this but I can not find this anwser. The lift packages I am looking at are Bilstein Adjustable lift w/ 5100 shocks or 3" lift kit with Bilstein 5100 height adjustable coilovers. Both of these are off the Toytec website. Any help on this would be great. Also have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Thanks,
    Eagle

2. Nov 24, 2011 at 9:45 AM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
  3. Nov 24, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch

My interpretation of those terms and differences is this :

The front "shock" on a Tacoma is called a "strut"
    The front spring on a Tacoma is called a spring :p
    The front suspension assembly on a Tacoma is called a coilover.

Now some will not bless the part with the term "coilover" unless it's adjustable. Preferably "thread adjustable".
    Some will also call the assembly a strut.

I think that the two types of setups you are looking at are both adjustable but they adjust in different ways.
    One uses an adjustable spring seat that locks into pre-set grooves on the strut body.
    The other uses a threaded adjustment system that is infinitely adjustable within the threaded field.

4. Nov 25, 2011 at 11:18 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

I like your analogy & definition of "coil over" type suspension, your definition is right, & to those who only think a true coilover are those that are adjustable are wrong, The answer is in the term "coilover" meaning any coil spring that installs OVER the strut/shock is indeed a coilover suspension application....;)

Products Discussed in

To Top