Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

shackle flip kit.. how/what/why

Old 11-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
Desert Warrior
TX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: SHANE
TX RPO's Tacoma Gallery
shackle flip kit.. how/what/why

I tried searching but couldn't find what I'm looking for... if anyone can point me to info on it, that would be great... if not, I'm really just looking for a few things...

What: do they do, what are they used for and what are the pros n cons
How: do they work
Why: would you use them

Last one... what different "extended" shackles are there?
Thanks!
Old 11-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
Xbox GT: Yodaman8806
Underdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Ground Support Shop Foreman/HAZMAT NCO, 1916 SPT BTN, 699th Maintenance Co.
Name: Matt
Underdog777's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
Underdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Ground Support Shop Foreman/HAZMAT NCO, 1916 SPT BTN, 699th Maintenance Co.
shackle flip
Old 11-24-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Changes the 2nd gen shackles to work like the first gens...
Old 11-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
doing my thing.
kcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to behold

Firefighter: Hotshot
Name: Marco
kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
THis is from the armortech product page
"We also offer a rear Shackle Flip Kit for those who wish to maximize suspension travel on their Tacoma. One of the main benefits tot his kit is moving the vulnerable spring hanger up and out of harms way. Our kit has shown increases in axle droop over stock while not adversely affecting ride quality. It does however provide approximately 1/2" of lift to the rear of the vehicle, due to the design on the frames and location of the springs this is unavoidable. To maximize suspension travel we do recommend longer shocks for the rear, however we recommend that you wait until the kit is installed and measure for an exact fit to your application. This kit is designed to re-use the stock shackle."
Old 11-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
^^ I no longer have a PreRunner
99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
99PreRunner.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog777 View Post
WIN
Old 11-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #8
Desert Warrior
TX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
TX RPO's Tacoma Gallery
I've read that its good for crawling and what not.. you get more articulaton, is it also common with the prerunner crowd who cruise the desert instead of the rocky hills?

Thanks for the link, I was hoping for Tacoma specific... and are the 1st Gen tacomas are flipped from the factory?
Old 11-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #9

Shackle flips are a good idea for all types of off road. It is a cost effective way to gain travel and lift if you don't want to 4 link your rear end. You may also want to look into a U-bolt flip kit if crawling and exploring are your forte.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #10
Desert Warrior

Air Force:
TX RPO's Tacoma Gallery
Crawling sounds fun but not for me at the moment... I love speed and wanna haul ass through the desert!
Old 11-24-2011, 05:10 PM   #11

Right on man. I'm right there with you. Consider a leaf pack (i.e all pro's standard pack or just anything not race status or real stiff), and some extended travel rear shocks. You won't have to drop serious cash to have a reliable death trap. We jumped my buddy's truck the other night, he has the same suspension set up as mine plus the all pro pack, and it was butter man. Made me jelly, so the leaf pack is on my list now.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #12
Desert Warrior

Air Force:
TX RPO's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! I just picked up a Deavers j66 leaf pack... but from what I understand, it'll raise the rear 1.5" I've got Dr coilovers and TC UCAs for the front and may eventually get spindles so if those are 4" then I'm gonna need more than 1.5" in the rear and have heard about extended shackles and shackle flip kits... I can't wait to get all my parts so I can finally play with this damn thing already lol
Old 11-24-2011, 06:30 PM   #13

I know the build process feeling man. Still going through it some what when ever you feel like coming down to Ft. Irwin (two hour shot from vegas) to do some wheel'n, hmu.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #14
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX RPO View Post
Crawling sounds fun but not for me at the moment... I love speed and wanna haul ass through the desert!

If you're gonna be a litterbox romper, you want to be looking at long-travel setups. No real need for shackle flips.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #15
Desert Warrior

Air Force:
TX RPO's Tacoma Gallery
For sure man! I can't wait! Nohomo... does ride quality change with the flip kit?
Old 11-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #16
Desert Warrior

Air Force:
TX RPO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
If you're gonna be a litterbox romper, you want to be looking at long-travel setups.
That's the ultimate goal.. but have no where near 10Gs just laying around... lol
Old 11-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #17
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX RPO View Post
That's the ultimate goal.. but have no where near 10Gs just laying around... lol
Hell, 10 grand is just getting started.

Understand that your truck will be a hole in your driveway into which you pour money. If you're not ok with that, just sell it now.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #18

That is a reality of the sport. A reliable mid travel set up serves its purpose just fine w/o having to spend $$$...it's more like $$
Old 11-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog777 View Post
That is a reality of the sport. A reliable mid travel set up serves its purpose just fine w/o having to spend $$$...it's more like $$
Believe me, you can dump just as much money on Mid-travel as you can on other suspension configs... but I'm sure you're aware.

Basically it comes down to what one wants to do with the truck...

Whoops @ 40mph = Long Travel
Idle over VW Bug sized boulders = SAS
Get up most trails and not suck to drive on the street = Mid-travel

And so on.