Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Which suspension to get (tailored to my Tacoma)

Old 11-27-2011, 01:46 AM   #1
The Professional
c0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 3rd SFG(A)
c0b2a's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to c0b2a
Which suspension to get (tailored to my Tacoma)

Ok first off let me just say that I hated making this thread because there is about a billion of them, and trust me I have searched and read and researched for months. It is now getting down to the wire where I will have to make up my mind and as money doesn't exactly appear in large quantities to me I want to be sure about my purchase. I get home from this deployment within the next 2 months which means I should be ordering all the parts within the next month.

Budget: I will say an even $2000 but if I can stay under it without a loss in performance that would be best. I will be doing the install myself for the most part so the $2000 really is for parts alone.

I have a 2008 TRD Off-road Double Cab, it has a ARB bumper, with a wench eventually to be purchased and put on.
I want a good 2.5 to 3 inch lift with great performance.

This is my daily driver, also a part time weekend trail blazer. I tow a 19' wake boarding boat during the summer, but not enough to justify any change for extra towing performance.

My driving style really is fast, I have a led foot. When I do drive off road, its really just a little rock crawling with quite a bit of fast driving rough terrain.

Ok now that I think I have covered my basis on what I am looking for, I have already decided on Total Chaos UCA's. They seem to be hands down the most recommended UCA's out there.

Up to this point I have been pretty set on OME 886 kit, with the full Daker leafs in the rear. (886 because of the double cab weight and ARB bumper)

So, here I lay out the real question: Is OME the right choice for what I am looking for, or should I turn my attention toward FOX or another higher end Brand? (I say higher end because of normal reputation through out the off-road world) If that is the case, Should I be waiting a bit longer and saving so that I can put a little more money toward something better? Or is the extra money not going to impress me so much more than its worth spending.

Alright thanks people. And again sorry that there is another damn thread on Tacoma world titled which suspension blah blah.

Here is how the Truck sits currently, with something extra to make this thread actually better than others with the same theme haha
Old 11-27-2011, 01:53 AM   #2
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
OME 886/struts sounds really good for most your use, but may leave you wanting more if you really mob the truck offroad. Some Icon extended travel CO's would be the next step up from there IMO, of course thats if you want to fork out the extra cash. The OME dakars are pretty stiff when empty(stiffer than a TSB leaf pack with an AAL) so just know that and expect it with them. Dont forget rear shocks as well. OME's are good, but with other shocks like resi fox's you could get better travel and overall performance, plus the fox rears have a compression adjustment knob for on the fly adjustments.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:05 AM   #3
leveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
leveltwo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0b2a View Post
Here is how the Truck sits currently
what truck?

Old 11-27-2011, 06:06 AM   #5
The Professional
c0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

c0b2a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
OME 886/struts sounds really good for most your use, but may leave you wanting more if you really mob the truck offroad. Some Icon extended travel CO's would be the next step up from there IMO, of course thats if you want to fork out the extra cash. The OME dakars are pretty stiff when empty(stiffer than a TSB leaf pack with an AAL) so just know that and expect it with them. Dont forget rear shocks as well. OME's are good, but with other shocks like resi fox's you could get better travel and overall performance, plus the fox rears have a compression adjustment knob for on the fly adjustments.

Which FOX rears would you recommend?
Old 11-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
cooper98 is on a distinguished road
cooper98's Tacoma Gallery
is that truck stock ? If so do you have any problems with the arb bumper and how it rides?
Old 11-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #7
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Nice legs.... that is all.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
Phuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
Phuket's Tacoma Gallery
can't say i took a good look at your truck but what i recommend is:
http://www.superduty-hq.com/05UpTaco...temStage2.aspx
Old 12-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #9
The Professional

c0b2a's Tacoma Gallery
I went for it today, ended up ordering the OME front and rear shocks with 886 coils and an AAL from Toytec. Also got some Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers, and extended brake lines. Thanks Toytec.

Waiting to hear back from Off-road warehouse on what kind of price I can get on the TC UCA. Exciting day for sure.. will be putting it all on when I get home early 2012. Anyone near Fort Bragg want to make a day of it? I will supply beer and food!
Old 12-06-2011, 03:11 AM   #10
The Professional

c0b2a's Tacoma Gallery
Quick question, do I need to get extended brake lines for the front as well? Also, should I get the Front Swaybar relocate kit?
Old 12-06-2011, 04:56 AM   #11
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
No and probably! You could save a few bucks and get a balljoint uca, the uniballs are for more travel with an extended length coilover. Light racing and camburg both have them.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:02 AM   #12
The slowest build EVER!!
MI4x4Toy will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
MI4x4Toy's Tacoma Gallery
That was a heck of an attention getter...

Fox man....you got one in front of the rig why not controlling all 4 corners of your truck!
Old 12-06-2011, 07:11 AM   #13
Cajun1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brooks
Cajun1's Tacoma Gallery
ummm nice hood armament
Old 12-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #14
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0b2a;4092805
[IMG
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6010/6195980826_75c75fd82a_z.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #16
RbGar is on a distinguished road

RbGar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0b2a View Post
Quick question, do I need to get extended brake lines for the front as well? Also, should I get the Front Swaybar relocate kit?

I'm doing a Toytec Ult lift prob max up 1.75" max, do i need to get longer brake lines front or back?

Thanks,
Rb-
Old 12-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #17

RbGar's Tacoma Gallery
i just searched and think i'll be fine w/stock ones if i dont go over 3"
Old 12-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #18
The Professional

c0b2a's Tacoma Gallery
Should get longer for the rear because the downward travel is going to be longer with your new shocks.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #19

RbGar's Tacoma Gallery
thanks will do, why risk it being short.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:06 PM   #20
wormfood is a splendid one to beholdwormfood is a splendid one to beholdwormfood is a splendid one to beholdwormfood is a splendid one to beholdwormfood is a splendid one to beholdwormfood is a splendid one to behold

Army: prior:Combat Engineer 21B, 6th Engineer Battalion  Fort Wainwright AK
Name: David
wormfood's Tacoma Gallery
Medium Travel Shopping

I did a search on the forums looking for feed back on Off Road Warehouse, came across your post...thank god , and I have also milked the forums for the same information, looking to go with a medium travel set up.

I want long travel, but I also want to sleep with a few Victorias Secret models, not holding my breath. Seems you got the second part covered.

This link is their offering here, the entire kit Description: A set of Fox Coilover shocks with Total Chaos Upper Control Arms & Rear Shocks - $2395 both front and rear pictured with reservoir.

That with the All-Pro Expedition Leaf Springs at $385 for a total of $2780 and free shipping.

I have not been able to beat this price, though I am going to give Down South Motor Sport a crack at it.

All going on a 2011 TRD OffRoad 4x4 DBCab. Will chase wheels later and upgrade my rubber, thinking 285/75/16's.

I know you purchased already, but I didn't want to start a new post either, so piggy backing here.