LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

ARB Bumper and Stock Suspension?

Old 11-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
cooper98 is on a distinguished road
cooper98's Tacoma Gallery
ARB Bumper and Stock Suspension?

I have an 08 sr5 prerunner cc lb. I got a deal on an ARB bumper and want to put it on. Ive been reading some comments about not putting an ARB bumper on stock suspension. Is this correct? If not what do i need to do? Ive read a lot about 5100's and such. I have no idea of what that means. Do i need to replace the front shocks? If so, with what? Thanks for your help.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
Its because of the weight of the bumper that sags down the front. Not sure if its mandatory but it might be. 5100's are an easy fix for leveling the front back to normal also so I would look into them.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
OME 886 coils are designed specifically for carrying the ARB bumper , but they lift the front approx 3" , are you planning on lifting ?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
Consistently Irregular
IronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really nice
Name: Corbin
IronCladTRD's Tacoma Gallery
My best guess is that weight is the main reason people don't want to run the ARB on stock suspension. I don't personally have an ARB, but I did have a really heavy bumper on stock suspension (which has since been changed). It was only on stock suspension for like 2500 miles, but I didn't have any problems because of weight.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
how much are ome 886 coils? How much to put on? Would that look goofy if my front end was higher and my back end lower?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
Consistently Irregular
IronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really nice
Your back end is a little higher (an inch or so I think) on stock suspension, so a 3" lift won't look bad. Mechanically, I doubt if it's a problem

Check this place out for some competitive prices on OME
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05upometaco.htm
Old 11-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper98 View Post
how much are ome 886 coils? How much to put on? Would that look goofy if my front end was higher and my back end lower?
You would probably want to get an AAL at least , also now you would want new UCA's
Old 11-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
The Ayatollah of Asshollah
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
There is a glossary of terms on this site which should help you understand our lingo
Old 11-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #9
Consistently Irregular
Rule of thumb for pricing

Add up the price of the parts you are going to buy and add like 25% of that price for parts you didn't know you needed, labor to install (or to replace the tools you broke if you do it yourself), etc.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #10

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
There is a glossary of terms on this site which should help you understand our lingo
Ya , sorry OP

AAL = Add A Leaf ( for the rear leaf pack )

UCA = Upper Control Arms
Old 11-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #11
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Cooper, you've got two threads going here of what really is a single issue, if you want to hang an ARB bumper and need to beef up the rear suspension, you have to look at the issue as a whole, let me ask you this, who much money do you think you can invest?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #12

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Full OME kit , 886's and Dakars , LR UCA's

/ thread
Old 11-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Full OME kit , 886's and Dakars , LR UCA's

/ thread
That's about 2500 (US), in parts alone?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
That's about 2500 (US), in parts alone?
No

More like $1700
Old 11-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #15
not spending 1700.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #16

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
not spending 1700.
What's your budget ?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:50 AM   #17
Quote:
not spending 1700.
Ok, next question, can you, or do you have friends who can assist/or install these components for you?
Old 11-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #18
I'd rather be hunting!
huntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
huntark03's Tacoma Gallery
You could sell me the ARB and kill two birds with one stone: keep stock suspension and make money, not spend it.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #19
I bleed Black and Gold
cheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant future

Name: Adam
cheehab's Tacoma Gallery
I've got an ARB bumper on my truck. I have 5100s set at 1.75 but kept the stock coils and am perfectly happy with my suspension setup. I can definitely feel the weight of the bumper on there but don't bottom out or anything. I got them for $279 from Downsouth Motorsports (5100's for all four wheels) and put them on myself in an afternoon.