Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How to beef up rear suspension?

Old 11-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
cooper98 is on a distinguished road
cooper98's Tacoma Gallery
How to beef up rear suspension?

I just got a 08 sr5 prerunner long bed. I dont plan on pulling anything heavy but would like to beef up the bad end. I would like to be able to haul 1k in feed to ranch and not have my rear end on the ground. Any recomendations. Dont really want to go Air bag route. Thanks
Old 11-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Well, the rear suspensions on these trucks is really the weak point, first is to look at possibly getting the rear leaf TSB issue, count the leafs on your truck, if there are three leaves (including the over load leaf), then it does not have the TSB done, there is plenty of info on this site if you search 'rear leaf TSB'. Second is money and what you want to do with the truck, if you have the ability, then replacing the entire spring set-up is the way to go, there are vendors here that cater to that. I didn't have the cash to replace it all so I added an AAL from Wheeler's (add-a-leaf), this brought the rear end of the truck up and along with Bilstien 5100 shocks, gave me a much more capable truck. When I was talking to Wheeler's, they said I should invest in airbags due to the weight of my rack and cap and the hauling that i do. You said that you don't want to go the airbag route but after installing mine, i am very happy, i pump them up when I need to haul and then deflate them down to about ten pounds (to keep the truck level), when I don't need them. I would use the search function here and you will find that this topic has been discussed at very great lengths.
Welcome to TW.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
lol oz wins
Yeah well if I had the extra cash layin around
Old 11-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Do you want a lift or do you want to haul 1k lbs at stock height? If you want to haul that kind of weight at stock height, I think you should seriously consider air bags. If you want a lifted set up that will handle weight then Oz nailed it, Dakars or All Pro Expedition leafs.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
Perhaps the cheapest solution would be Hellwig helper springs. They should be between $50-100 depending on the type /size /style you select. Certainly this is not the most technical nor classiest way, but the do work for what you want to do, haul 1000# without spending great amounts of money.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #7
Mr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mr.Ed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Dakars
X2 They are great and why have to take the stock pack apart. I say spend the extra $300 over the AAL worth it.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
dakars or alcan
Old 12-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #9
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
Perhaps the cheapest solution would be Hellwig helper springs. They should be between $50-100 depending on the type /size /style you select. Certainly this is not the most technical nor classiest way, but the do work for what you want to do, haul 1000# without spending great amounts of money.
The only problem with these is that they pre-load your main spring and instantly destroy your unloaded ride.
If it says Hellwig, run the other way.

AAL (will lift)
Dakar (you will get lift)
Custom main spring (Alcan, will lift)
Custom overload spring pack (no lift)
Air bags (no lift)
Old 12-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Ride Rite Air Springs (Bags)... and they do indeed lift the back end higher than stock.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Ride Rite Air Springs (Bags)... and they do indeed lift the back end higher than stock.
The Firestones that I've been around did not affect stock ride height when they were aired down.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #12
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
as already mentioned the Dakar springs will work great as plenty of people have them and report great results in running them.

another good alternative to consider is the All Pro Heavy Duty Expedition springs. i currently have those spings installed on my taco and i can say is they ride great in all situations, loaded or unloaded. i ofton tow my rockcrawler with my taco and having these springs made my taco pretty much level when towing. when i had my old springs (All Pro 3" lift Standard Springs) i was sagging like a low rider and the ride sucked bad.

here's a recent pic of my rockcrawler loaded up to my taco with the expedition springs..
Old 12-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #13
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
i would like to aslo add. you should look into an aftermarket bumstop such as Timbrens. they are superb when having heavy loads. takes the harshness out of the big bumps. i have em and they will make a great combo with whatever aftermarket leaf springs you choose..

here they are when i first installed on my taco a few years ago. and to this day still looking good with no tears, scuffs, or any other signs of wear and tear..
Old 12-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #14
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
call up deaver or alcan and get some custom springs built