1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Air Bags with lift kit and full articulation?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 6spdtaco, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Nov 28, 2011 at 4:46 AM
    6spdtaco

6spdtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    I recently bought a big trailer and have done quite a bit of towing with it. My rear axle is about 1" from the bumpstops when the trailer is loaded up.
    I have an OME 3" lift kit with Dakar leaf pack. With the tailer hitched up, my rear end is sagged so much that I actually tore a CV boot because the front end was almost at full droop. I need to be able to level out the rear end when hitched up to the trailer.

My question is: is there a Ride Rite type of airbag that would fit the 3" lift but also allow for full articulation?

2. Nov 28, 2011 at 5:21 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Might want to consider Timbrens, I've never heard of an air bag kit that will survive full articulation off roading without blowing out eventually. The Dakars have 2 overloads, what are you towing that's heavy enough to squat that leaf pack that much? You're more than likely overloaded and/or should probably be using a weight distributing hitch for that much weight.

3. Nov 28, 2011 at 6:13 AM
    Scalded_Dawg

Scalded_Dawg Not as new as my post count would appear

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Yorktown, VA
    Vehicle:
    Stripped Steel and Sex Appeal
    Tacoma daily and 4Runner to play
  4. Nov 28, 2011 at 11:00 AM
    6spdtaco

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    Weight distibution hitch! Thanks for the info. I wish the guy that sold me the trailer would have mentioned that.
    Here is a link to a thread that I started when I was searching for a trailer.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing/185682-moving-need-trailer-one-these.html
    It is a 7x12' enclosed tandem axle. Dry weight is 1780. I know I didn't exceed the 6500lbs my truck is rated for, but the OME leaf pack is pretty soft. I'll be towing mostly tools, auto parts, snowmobiles, and atvs with it from now on.

5. Nov 28, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Another helpful tip is make sure you have enough drop on the ball mount. If you have a 3" rear lift, you should probably be using a 2.5 - 3" drop for the ball mount. If the ball is too high on the truck, the trailer will squat the rear of the truck and it also won't tow well.

6. Nov 28, 2011 at 2:55 PM
    6spdtaco

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    I bought a new ball mount specifically for my trailer, lift, hitch combo. Perfect height. Just need to find a weight distribution hitch with enough drop to accommodate a 3" lift and CBI bumper with integrated receiver.

7. Nov 28, 2011 at 3:04 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
  8. Nov 28, 2011 at 6:20 PM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    I have to laugh a bit....how many bathroom scales will accommodate 650lbs.?

ROlla-Xrs likes this.
  9. Nov 28, 2011 at 10:31 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Did you follow the link? You put the tongue on a beam (e.g. 4x4 lumber) supported on one end by the bathroom scale, and the other end by a brick. Keep the distances at a ratio of 2:1, and the bathroom scale will read one-third the tongue weight. A 650 lb tongue weight will read as 217 lb, for example.

10. Nov 29, 2011 at 10:07 AM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    images_61e888d9d004cbc4ad12afc379ef2a28fc7b8dfd.jpg

11. Oct 28, 2013 at 4:22 PM
    DenisSeattle

DenisSeattle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    I installed these on my 2011 TRD Off Road and took this photo before connecting the lower brace. The gap is about 1.5 inches:
    20131021_174425_19c630e63429d832945e398eb277cece896c330e.jpg

The truck here is suspended by the frame so the spring is completely relaxed. Note that the air bag would stretch some, I don't know how much.

Once inflated, these definitely level the load and ride nice. To find level I made up a small chain with a hook. When hooked in a safety chain eye on my hitch, the small chain just reaches the pavement when the truck is level. To level the load: Air up until the chain isn't dragging.

[​IMG]

12. Nov 4, 2013 at 3:48 PM
    6spdtaco

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    What air bag system is that?

13. Nov 5, 2013 at 9:03 AM
    DenisSeattle

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Shown in the photo above are the Air Lift #59561 air bags. The original post was about articulation and this type of suspension helper. I promised I would post photos, then procrastinated about the install until now.

14. Nov 6, 2013 at 4:19 PM
    kieth

kieth Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 trd
    Full OME lift with Dakars, 886s and LR UCA's, Firestone air bags w\ onboard compressor, 2 kicker CVT 10" subs , MB Quart 1000w amp ,Alpine media player
    daystar also makes the airbag cups so the bag is not fixed at the bottom to the leaf spring plate not limiting droop at all

15. Mar 20, 2014 at 3:15 PM
    DenisSeattle

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    One other thing I noticed about AirLift is that it shortens the upward travel of my axle as well as the downward extension I posted about previously.

That is, if the air bags are completely deflated, it is they and not the OEM bumpers that hit first when you go over a speed bump.

The air bags must be kept inflated. They're surely not intended to be used empty as bumpers, so they hit pretty hard with a thunk that you hear and feel. I thought my shocks were trashed but it was a flat air bag. I found the air line leak, re-inflated the air bag, and no longer have that hard-bottoming-out problem.

So -- AirLift definitely adversely affects articulation for off road. However if your truck is lifted then the upward travel limitation might not cause a problem. Contact the manufacturer and see if they can substitute longer air bags to allow for the lift and to lengthen the downward extension.

16. Apr 18, 2016 at 12:22 PM
    mr.trd

mr.trd Are you Recreationally Insane?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Icon coilovers w 14" 700lb springs, Icon billet UCA w/ Delta joints, custom built Icon rear resi-shocks, Icon stage 3 rear leaf pack, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers w/ homemade spreader bar, superbumps up front and timbren bumps in the rear, Crown brake lines, U-bolt flip,4.88's with front ARB locker and ARB dual compressor mounted behind back seat, 285/75R17 BFG A/T KO2's on Bronze Icon Alloy Compression's, 5th gen T4R budget big brake kit, CBI Off-Road Fab. custom Trailmaster 2.0 with swing-away tire carrier, CBI custom tube front bumper, CBI kickout sliders, CBI full flat belly skids including gas tank,CBI Ditch Light brackets w/ Heretic Studio Quattro's, Heretic Studio's 30" Amber on the front, Heretic Studio 40" bar under the Front Runner Roof Rack, Expedition Essentials RAM mount, Leer used shell, OEM black chrome sport headlights, fog lights always on mod, rear locker anytime mod, TRD supercharger, URD Ucon-EMS, Deatschwerks 255 fuel pump w/ URD external fuel filter kit, AFE intake paired to a Safari Snorkel, URD spec-U exhaust w/ factory Tundra muffler behind URD equal length headers.
    Bringing back the dead thread. Has anyone used the Daystar cups with the AirLift bags? Would someone with the AirLift bags measure them for me. Daystar says they are universal for 6" bellow bags. I would use the Firestone kit but that won't work with my u-bolt flip. Even the Air lift one will take a little modification. But I like the air bag being a little forward of the axle so it helps with axle wrap as well. Oh and I have not surpassed the 650lb tongue weight. With the Equalizer hooked up. LOL. I still need to weight it to find out for sure, but I think I am close to the 900lb mark on tongue weight and 7000lb trailer weight.

RicosTaco likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top