LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Air Bags with lift kit and full articulation?

Old 11-28-2011, 04:46 AM   #1
6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nate
6spdtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Air Bags with lift kit and full articulation?

I recently bought a big trailer and have done quite a bit of towing with it. My rear axle is about 1" from the bumpstops when the trailer is loaded up.
I have an OME 3" lift kit with Dakar leaf pack. With the tailer hitched up, my rear end is sagged so much that I actually tore a CV boot because the front end was almost at full droop. I need to be able to level out the rear end when hitched up to the trailer.

My question is: is there a Ride Rite type of airbag that would fit the 3" lift but also allow for full articulation?
Old 11-28-2011, 05:21 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Might want to consider Timbrens, I've never heard of an air bag kit that will survive full articulation off roading without blowing out eventually. The Dakars have 2 overloads, what are you towing that's heavy enough to squat that leaf pack that much? You're more than likely overloaded and/or should probably be using a weight distributing hitch for that much weight.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:13 AM   #3
Not as new as my post count would appear
Scalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud of

Air Force: Once a B-1 Mechanic, now upper Management
Name: Brent
Scalded_Dawg's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ What Pugga said.
Sounds like you need one of these...
http://www.reese-hitches.com/product...tribution_kits
Old 11-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Weight distibution hitch! Thanks for the info. I wish the guy that sold me the trailer would have mentioned that.
Here is a link to a thread that I started when I was searching for a trailer.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tow...one-these.html
It is a 7x12' enclosed tandem axle. Dry weight is 1780. I know I didn't exceed the 6500lbs my truck is rated for, but the OME leaf pack is pretty soft. I'll be towing mostly tools, auto parts, snowmobiles, and atvs with it from now on.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Another helpful tip is make sure you have enough drop on the ball mount. If you have a 3" rear lift, you should probably be using a 2.5 - 3" drop for the ball mount. If the ball is too high on the truck, the trailer will squat the rear of the truck and it also won't tow well.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #6

I bought a new ball mount specifically for my trailer, lift, hitch combo. Perfect height. Just need to find a weight distribution hitch with enough drop to accommodate a 3" lift and CBI bumper with integrated receiver.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Measure your tongue weight with a bathroom scale, as shown here:
http://www.hitchingup.com/tongue-weight.htm

Do not exceed the Taco's rated tongue weight limit of 650 lb.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Measure your tongue weight with a bathroom scale, as shown here:
http://www.hitchingup.com/tongue-weight.htm

Do not exceed the Taco's rated tongue weight limit of 650 lb.
I have to laugh a bit....how many bathroom scales will accommodate 650lbs.?
Old 11-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #9
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Did you follow the link? You put the tongue on a beam (e.g. 4x4 lumber) supported on one end by the bathroom scale, and the other end by a brick. Keep the distances at a ratio of 2:1, and the bathroom scale will read one-third the tongue weight. A 650 lb tongue weight will read as 217 lb, for example.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #10
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Did you follow the link? You put the tongue on a beam (e.g. 4x4 lumber) supported on one end by the bathroom scale, and the other end by a brick. Keep the distances at a ratio of 2:1, and the bathroom scale will read one-third the tongue weight. A 650 lb tongue weight will read as 217 lb, for example.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
DenisSeattle is on a distinguished road
DenisSeattle's Tacoma Gallery
I installed these on my 2011 TRD Off Road and took this photo before connecting the lower brace. The gap is about 1.5 inches:

The truck here is suspended by the frame so the spring is completely relaxed. Note that the air bag would stretch some, I don't know how much.

Once inflated, these definitely level the load and ride nice. To find level I made up a small chain with a hook. When hooked in a safety chain eye on my hitch, the small chain just reaches the pavement when the truck is level. To level the load: Air up until the chain isn't dragging.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #12

What air bag system is that?
Old 11-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #13
Shown in the photo above are the Air Lift #59561 air bags. The original post was about articulation and this type of suspension helper. I promised I would post photos, then procrastinated about the install until now.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
kieth is on a distinguished road
kieth's Tacoma Gallery
daystar also makes the airbag cups so the bag is not fixed at the bottom to the leaf spring plate not limiting droop at all
Old 03-20-2014, 03:15 PM   #15
Regarding limiting travel/articulation

One other thing I noticed about AirLift is that it shortens the upward travel of my axle as well as the downward extension I posted about previously.

That is, if the air bags are completely deflated, it is they and not the OEM bumpers that hit first when you go over a speed bump.

The air bags must be kept inflated. They're surely not intended to be used empty as bumpers, so they hit pretty hard with a thunk that you hear and feel. I thought my shocks were trashed but it was a flat air bag. I found the air line leak, re-inflated the air bag, and no longer have that hard-bottoming-out problem.

So -- AirLift definitely adversely affects articulation for off road. However if your truck is lifted then the upward travel limitation might not cause a problem. Contact the manufacturer and see if they can substitute longer air bags to allow for the lift and to lengthen the downward extension.