1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone get a lift at BIG O' TIRES?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by DeeKay21, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Nov 16, 2008 at 5:50 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 [OP] Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I was just wondering if any of you Taco guys got your lift at BIG O' Tires. I am looking at getting a 3 inch leveling kit here soon but when I talked to one of the guys at BIG O' he couldn't help out to much because they were about to close. I'm just wondering on what the price range would be "out-the-door" and with all the realignment and everything else that needed to be done. Also, what brand of parts they use for the lift. I am also taking some new wheels and tires for them to put on as well. I'm just looking for a price range here guys and even if its not with BIG O'.

2. Nov 16, 2008 at 6:04 PM
    edwinalink

edwinalink robo-ninja

Member:
    utah
    Vehicle:
    Soma Groove
    Its a bicycle.
    at least here in utah. big o likes to price gouge. personally the only tire shop i have ever been to that didnt was discount.

if you can find a discount tires that does lifts. I'd recommend them.

that being said. they should use whatever brand of parts you tell them to.

i go for Old Man Emu whenever possible. or FOX...

3. Nov 16, 2008 at 6:07 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    You should send a PM to Timmer. He is in your neck of the woods and can find a better place to do the install and buy the right parts. AND possibly help you do the install. :)

4. Nov 16, 2008 at 8:33 PM
    DeeKay21

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I am thinking about getting a toytec lift kit for my Taco. I guess if I take the kit to a BIG O' or where ever, they should install it right? See because I am also going to take my new rims and tires to get them put on as well. I'm just wondering if a BIG O' or Discount tire store wouldn't do the install since I am bringing everything to them instead of buying everything from them? Damn did that make sense? The only thing I would need from them is the actual install and the alignment and stuff like that. Can anyone help me? I know I can just call them but I want to hear from someone that has some experience with them.

5. Nov 16, 2008 at 8:51 PM
    edwinalink

edwinalink robo-ninja

Member:
    utah
    Vehicle:
    Soma Groove
    Its a bicycle.
    i think any shop with the tools would be glad to charge you for the labor hours!

6. Nov 16, 2008 at 8:55 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    What ToyTec lift are you looking at? If it's just a spacer lift, you could do it yourself. It's really easy and you don't really need any "special" tools. I don't have much mechanical expertise at all and I installed my ToyTec coilovers, Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs and diff drop on my own (with an extra set of hands). Plus you would save a ton on the install!

Chris4x4, JHodge, Timmer, Rhoppas - all these guys helped me out with answers to things like "where does this go" and stuff.

Plus it was a lot of fun! Took about 8 hours (goofed off quite a bit so it could go faster) but I learned a lot about my truck!

7. Nov 16, 2008 at 8:59 PM
    edwinalink

edwinalink robo-ninja

Member:
    utah
    Vehicle:
    Soma Groove
    Its a bicycle.
    X2 on the doing it youself! its more gratifying that way....

... but a lot easier on a jeep!

8. Nov 16, 2008 at 9:34 PM
    DeeKay21

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Well I was thinking about getting the 3 inch medium 885 kit with the front coils instead of the spacers and the 2 inch AAL's for the rear. Not sure about shocks yet though. Now can i just use my stock shocks or is that no good? I'm trying to keep it as simple and inexpensive as I can. Toytec sells those N1405 shocks but there almost $300 for a pair! I'm still not sure if I am going to try and do it myself. I don't have a garage to raise my truck up.

9. Nov 16, 2008 at 9:38 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Good choice on lift. You can use your stock shocks with that lift, but your ride will be better if you get the OME shocks as well. If you're not sure, run it with the stock shocks for awhile and then make a decision on whether or not you want the shocks.

I also think you should do the lift yourself. I personally don't like the idea of paying someone to do something I could do on my own. I'm sure you can find someone on here in you're area who'd be willing to help you on the install.

10. Nov 16, 2008 at 9:39 PM
    edwinalink

edwinalink robo-ninja

Member:
    utah
    Vehicle:
    Soma Groove
    Its a bicycle.
    i dont either. yet i do brakes, fluid changes mild axle repair... in my drive way.
    also. most any parts store will loan or rent you tools.
    also remember... cheap aftermarket parts break expensive OEM parts.

11. Nov 16, 2008 at 9:39 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    I think that's a good choice. But, if you go with the 885 coils, get the OME shocks too. Chris always says get the OME shocks with the OME coils because the shocks are valved for those specific coils so you'll get a better ride. Not sure about pricing or if you can get them cheaper, but check with Chris4x4 - that's what he runs.

12. Nov 17, 2008 at 4:38 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I would get the OME N140S shocks. I know they are more money, but you will regret it if you dont. I know of NOONE that has been happy with the OME springs and stock shocks. Do a search for OME lift kits and you should be able to find a good deal. :)

13. Nov 17, 2008 at 4:55 PM
    DeeKay21

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Okay so then I would only need those OME shocks for the front of my truck right? Or would I need them for the rear as well? HEY! What does OME stand for anyways? Gosh I sound dumb. Hey so Chris 4x4. Your saying with that OME-05-AL-885 toytec kit and the OME N1405 shocks, I would be good to go and nothing else to buy?

14. Nov 17, 2008 at 5:02 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    OME = Old Man Emu. :)
    I would get a shim or "trim packer" for the driver side. It helps to keep the truck level from side to side as there is alot of weight on the driver side. It should only be a few bucks, and if you cant find one, let me know. Other than that, nothing else should be required. I DO have to recomend new Upper Control Arms, as your alignment geometry is going to be off, but that is the case with any lift.

15. Nov 17, 2008 at 5:19 PM
    DeeKay21

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Hey Chris4x4, I did some searches for OME lift kits for taco's and dang they get friggin pricey! But then again thats for like everything! Well i'm probably going to have my kit installed by a shop so it ain't going to be me. So Chris, with that toytec 885 kit and the N410S front shocks, do you think that would be good for now. I saw they sell rear shocks as well. Will my stock rear shocks work okay? See with that 885 kit and the two front N410S shocks I'm already looking at over $600 and that doesnt include shipping! Haha!

16. Nov 17, 2008 at 6:01 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    For the rear, get the Bilstien 5100's. They ride REALLY good. Seems to match the OME front perfectly. Figure another $100.00 or so for the pair of rears. :)

17. Nov 17, 2008 at 6:06 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Also, WW_FIREFIGHTER, if you can remove your stock coils, 1 bolt and nut on the bottom, 3 nuts on the top, you can take them to a plac eto have the new shocks and springs put on for about $20.00 a peice. Then you just bring them back home, put them on, and your lift is half way finished, saveing you some hard earned cash. The rear AAl, is just as easy, though a little more detail demanding. :)

18. Nov 17, 2008 at 6:08 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    +50! It's really easy, but do what you're comfortable with. Like I said before, I did mine and have virtually NO mechanical experience except oil changes and one set of brake pads a billion years ago (with the help of someone that knew what they were doing)...

19. Nov 17, 2008 at 6:09 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Of course, now that I've gone that far, I've got the bug... I want to work on more cars... :)

20. Nov 17, 2008 at 9:03 PM
    DeeKay21

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    So for the rear 5100's, i read that they can work with lifts up to 2.5 inchs. Since the toytec rear AAL's only raise it 2 inch's, the 5100's would still work okay right? Also, do the N140S's for the front of the truck expand longer then the 5100's? Because that toytec OME-05-AL-885 kit says it raises the front 3 inchs and I swear I read that the 5100's only do up to 2.5 inchs. I hear a lot of people with the 5100's in the front to with a 2.5 inch lift but I want the full 3 inchs. I know its only half an inch but still.

Products Discussed in

To Top