Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

help 5100 shock leaking some type fluid.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
Madams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to behold
Madams's Tacoma Gallery
help 5100 shock leaking some type fluid.

I got a 95..5 tacoma with 5100 bilstein shocks. The driver's side rear is leaking fluid that is a watery type and the color looks like light yellow. I lifted the boot lip up where the zip tie is and it just runs out. I know they are gas filled but cant understand why its leaking. Its got a pool of that fluid on the ground where its sitting.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Could be the oil. THey have a life time warranty (IIRC) so get ahold of the folks you bought them from, and go from there.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
Madams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to behold
Madams's Tacoma Gallery
It does not have a oil type smell or feel greasey kind of smells and feels like water. We had a lot of rain this week and been driving a good bite in the rain and rain might have found some way in the top of the boot and had cold nights and in the mornings in the mid 20's and water might have froze and today it warmed up to the 60's so it might have been froze and just now un-thawing. Also, the fluid is not thick like oil. Its runny like water. this was earlier.

Just went back out there and felt of it and it is kind of oily. Not thick though. Just going to call downsouth motorsports and see if they can send me some new 5100's since they have a life time warranty. I was trying to find the 5100's on there by themselves for the 1st gen. But all I see is they front and rear 5100's for the 1st gen. I looked at the 5150's and they are 110 with free shipping. To bad I cant get them i dont have the money
Old 05-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein shocks are designed with a weeping seal. This keeps the seal lubricated, which helps to eliminate squeeks and prolongs the life of the seal. It is normal to see some minimal oil leakage.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
Madams's Tacoma Gallery
I think it was just dirty water that looked like oil had gotten threw the hole on the boots and froze and just just started to melt when i found it.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
supremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of light
supremetaco2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaDan View Post
Bilstein shocks are designed with a weeping seal. This keeps the seal lubricated, which helps to eliminate squeeks and prolongs the life of the seal. It is normal to see some minimal oil leakage.
ok, i have a question for you. I took off my bilstein 5100 shocks cuz one of them was "slightly" leaking.. is it suppose to make a slight hissing noise when i compress it, as well as see oil come out? The other one that i have shows no signs of leaking or that hissing noise when i compress it...
Old 05-26-2012, 06:00 AM   #8
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
I was under mine this week and found that the passenger side was wet moved the boot a little and a puddle of oil the size of a dinner plate hit the floor I took off the shock and it was no problem compressing it. I am waiting for a call from RCD on how to handle the warranty, I suppose I will get screwed on all the shipping charges.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
jdtoothnail is on a distinguished road

Navy: Civilian DoD: Research Chemist @ Naval Research Laboratory
Name: Joey
jdtoothnail's Tacoma Gallery
Took my '05 Tacoma into Firestone to get my tires rebalanced, rotated and aligned and they saw my driver side rear Bilstein 5100 leaking oil all over. I just installed my lift before last winter. Called ToyTec and it's all covered under warranty. Had to buy a single shock + shipping for $113.67, then when I return the old one they reimburse that.